Azrael7301

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/ PP
Hey all,

I've got a Roush Phase 2 kit on my '16 GT PP and I'm looking to tighten up my ability to put the power to the ground. Currently running Pilot Sport 4S 275/40's the rear OEM wheels. On brand new asphalt i get a second or so of spin when launching at 3000+ rpms, or too slow of a roll to the top of first if i launch under that. I'm looking at getting 305's on new wheels, but im wondering if thats the most effective mod for more grip or if maybe some work on the rear suspension would yield better results.

What have you all done to improve grip on your stangs, looking for all advice?
Sponsored

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
You need better rubber not wider if you want to stick. Drag radials are about your only option. ET streets will work pretty good.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Drag radials. The wider the better!

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK
CB0005, vert links and drag radials. I’ll just assume you are launching at the track and that just means better tires. IF you are only getting a little spin on the street launching at 3k be glad you can at least hook under 80mph... DR’s are your best option but a few suspension pieces from BMR will help if you are all stock.

Check out the BMR thread on how to cut a 1.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
I agree. 30 for the street. 18 when its warm. And 16 in the fall.

OP
OP

Azrael7301

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/ PP
wow quite an outpouring of support for Mickey's ET Streets on here, i'll have to give them a shot on the strip for sure. How street-able are they though? If they cant handle rain whats the best i can do that can? Overall I'm looking to get as much performance as possible while still being able to daily it (jack of all trades is a master of none, i know).I planned on having an extra set of wheels for the strip, I'm just currently more interested in what i can do on the streets (because when you spin shifting into 4th the fear of corners becomes real)

CB0005, vert links and drag radials. I’ll just assume you are launching at the track and that just means better tires. IF you are only getting a little spin on the street launching at 3k be glad you can at least hook under 80mph... DR’s are your best option but a few suspension pieces from BMR will help if you are all stock.

Check out the BMR thread on how to cut a 1.
CB0005 refers to a IRS lockout kit yes?

Last edited:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
They’re not great in the rain. If your looking for a more street than track tire. Try the nitto 555R. They are still a drag radial. But they have a lot more groves to move water out of the way. Compared to the M/T.
nto-315-35-17_fc9eaa7f.jpg
mtt-24660_d693dd76.jpg

Sponsored

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I was in a similar situation. Decided to go with MPSS on stock rear PP wheel 295/35/18 for street and 28x11.5x17 ET R bias plys for the track. I didn't want to risk breaking $hit on the street with a DR. The MPSS's once warmed do pretty well 2nd gear on. 1st/2nd with 3.73 gear isn't very friendly with a PD setup, I'm very likely swapping to 3.31's at some point. Not just to get the power down earlier on the street, but so you don't have to shift to 5th in the 1/4.

Without a doubt the BMR cradle lockout kit (CB005) and vertical links would be a massive upgrade to cancel out the wheel hop and help keep it planted. These parts were a couple of the very first mods I did after buying the car. Would highly recommend for ANY car.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
They’re not great in the rain. If your looking for a more street than track tire. Try the nitto 555R. They are still a drag radial. But they have a lot more groves to move water out of the way. Compared to the M/T.
nto-315-35-17_fc9eaa7f.jpg
mtt-24660_d693dd76.jpg
These. Swapping out my 315 555g2 for 305 555r in the rear. Hook and not a death wish in the rain :)

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK
wow quite an outpouring of support for Mickey's ET Streets on here, i'll have to give them a shot on the strip for sure. How street-able are they though? If they cant handle rain whats the best i can do that can? Overall I'm looking to get as much performance as possible while still being able to daily it (jack of all trades is a master of none, i know).I planned on having an extra set of wheels for the strip, I'm just currently more interested in what i can do on the streets

CB0005 refers to a IRS lockout kit yes?
Yes

I run 305/35/20 Nt555r’s in the rear and they hold well under 700whp. Over you need a sticker tire. Also, while the will do better in the rain than ET’s, they still suck when the road is wet. You gotta be really careful when the roads are wet with any DR.
Sponsored