Sponsored

Trickle Charger during hibernation?

willymo72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
Allow me to break up the monotony and say I have my charger connection to the battery terminals. I've read about the fuse box and chassis ground - but I've been doing this for years - though I can still learn.

Does it really matter, and if it does, which is best. I've read so much about the PCM or BCM reading signals after 8 hours or whatever and it's always worked for me.
+1
Sponsored

Sains5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach1, FJ Grey, Handling Package, Manual, RSD
I use the same setup as OutWest above, CTEK (56-958)installation was easy, works great!

ECSIII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Wanted to share an installation which I’ve not seen before that I’ve used on my 2022 GT convertible – it’s an external connection. The primary part needed is the OptiMate O-40 weatherproof SAE socket cable OptiMate CABLE O-40 - OptiMate (optimate1.com).

Optimate-O-40-for-write-up.jpg

The front bottom cover of the engine compartment needs to be removed. This is not a difficult task – just awkward to remove the screws all the way around without the front end being raised. A 11/16” hole was drilled in the solid part of the lower honeycomb grille on the lefthand side. The center of the hole should be 1” horizontally from the top left corner and 7/8” below the upper edge of the solid part of the grille.

Hole Location v3.jpg

This placement will allow the front shoulder of the fitting to rest flat against the solid part of the grille and avoid the grille clip on the back side. After center punching the location, a spade drill was used to make the hole and it provided a very clean cut in the grille material. The wire was fed into the hole and then the rubber washer and nut placed on the wire. The nut was tightened onto the fitting until it was firmly snug and the rubber washer flattened against the back of the grille. Next a flimsy piece of coat hanger with a hook shaped end was inserted from the top of the engine compartment and the 40” wire pulled up. Facing the engine compartment, the wire was fed under the left side braces of the fuse box until the connector was exposed at the rear. There an Optimate O-11 weatherproof battery lead with fuse OptiMate CABLE O-11 - OptiMate (optimate1.com) was connected to the 40” lead and the black lead ring to a stud on the upper strut mount and the red lead ring to the hot terminal in the fuse box.

20230107_164637 write-up.jpg

Any SAE plug can be used to connect a tender to the front grille fitting. When not in use, the flexible rubber cover can be placed over the grille fitting. For whatever reason, if there is a concern about the grille panel fitting having direct connection to a “hot” lead when not being used with a battery tender, this switch can be inserted between the 40” line and the battery lead https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B58GL7RJ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1.

Here’s a photo in which my CTEC Multi US 7200 is being used. The connection wire from the grille fitting to the tender lead is the CTEK 4269 battery charger comfort indicator pigtail adapter which can be obtained here: Amazon.com: CTEK 4269 CTEK Battery Charger Comfort Indicator Pigtail Adaptor : Automotive. Again, for emphasis, any SAE connector attached to a tender line will work just fine.

20230107_164303 write-up.jpg

Needless to say, when the tender isn’t connected and the rubber cap is covering the fitting, this configuration is very unobtrusive. Most people wouldn’t even notice it was there.

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
Wanted to share an installation which I’ve not seen before that I’ve used on my 2022 GT convertible – it’s an external connection. The primary part needed is the OptiMate O-40 weatherproof SAE socket cable OptiMate CABLE O-40 - OptiMate (optimate1.com).

Optimate-O-40-for-write-up.jpg

The front bottom cover of the engine compartment needs to be removed. This is not a difficult task – just awkward to remove the screws all the way around without the front end being raised. A 11/16” hole was drilled in the solid part of the lower honeycomb grille on the lefthand side. The center of the hole should be 1” horizontally from the top left corner and 7/8” below the upper edge of the solid part of the grille.

Hole Location v3.jpg

This placement will allow the front shoulder of the fitting to rest flat against the solid part of the grille and avoid the grille clip on the back side. After center punching the location, a spade drill was used to make the hole and it provided a very clean cut in the grille material. The wire was fed into the hole and then the rubber washer and nut placed on the wire. The nut was tightened onto the fitting until it was firmly snug and the rubber washer flattened against the back of the grille. Next a flimsy piece of coat hanger with a hook shaped end was inserted from the top of the engine compartment and the 40” wire pulled up. Facing the engine compartment, the wire was fed under the left side braces of the fuse box until the connector was exposed at the rear. There an Optimate O-11 weatherproof battery lead with fuse OptiMate CABLE O-11 - OptiMate (optimate1.com) was connected to the 40” lead and the black lead ring to a stud on the upper strut mount and the red lead ring to the hot terminal in the fuse box.

20230107_164637 write-up.jpg

Any SAE plug can be used to connect a tender to the front grille fitting. When not in use, the flexible rubber cover can be placed over the grille fitting. For whatever reason, if there is a concern about the grille panel fitting having direct connection to a “hot” lead when not being used with a battery tender, this switch can be inserted between the 40” line and the battery lead https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B58GL7RJ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1.

Here’s a photo in which my CTEC Multi US 7200 is being used. The connection wire from the grille fitting to the tender lead is the CTEK 4269 battery charger comfort indicator pigtail adapter which can be obtained here: Amazon.com: CTEK 4269 CTEK Battery Charger Comfort Indicator Pigtail Adaptor : Automotive. Again, for emphasis, any SAE connector attached to a tender line will work just fine.

20230107_164303 write-up.jpg

Needless to say, when the tender isn’t connected and the rubber cap is covering the fitting, this configuration is very unobtrusive. Most people wouldn’t even notice it was there.
next level installation there. very nice.

WiRik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Ragtop
Just picked up a '21 GT and have it stored about an hour away for winter.

Any problems if I were to just remove the battery from the car to have at home to keep it maintained/charged? Wasn't sure with all of the electronics in these newer Mustangs or what settings may be disrupted.

I like the idea of wiring up the car to use a battery tender but not sure if I want to leave one on w/o being able to be check on it once and awhile.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase

Any problems if I were to just remove the battery from the car to have at home to keep it maintained/charged? Wasn't sure with all of the electronics in these newer Mustangs or what settings may be disrupted.

I like the idea of wiring up the car to use a battery tender but not sure if I want to leave one on w/o being able to be check on it once and awhile.

Not necessary to check it, the tender will do fine on its own.

https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-40-149-CTX-Battery-Sense/dp/B0188TGF6W/ref=sr_1_25?crid=HJYXIR5HZOSH&keywords=ctek+battery+charger+accessories&qid=1674349114&sprefix=,aps,139&sr=8-25

This is a blue tooth accessory, it will work with any battery charger..

If you can see the car you can check the charge.

I would not want to horse a battery in and out of a car. Have a couple of types of Trickel chargers. Have been using for many years.

Never a problem, whatever it is attached to. Car, Motorcycle, lawnmower, or HotRods will always start.

The Mustang will never go into hibernation, Ford pass will always work.

Last edited:

MACHtobers Very Own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang MACH 1

I just did this. Took battery out and placed inside house. I put battery back yesterday after a month and only odd ball thing was I got a suspension error and my speed was limited to 80mph. That went away once I restarted the car. So far car is fine.

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have always just pulled my batteries and brought them inside where its warm. Never had an issue, never had to jump start them when it comes time to start them up, never had a battery go to shit on me... my car and bike batteries are in the laundry room right now.
Sponsored