Sponsored

Tremec install issues

eli.krahulec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Recently installed a new Tremec Magnum XL in my S550. Having a couple of issues.

Reverse lights don't work after install. Does anyone know the wiring circuit? The switch on the trans is definitely closing, but no lights or camera. I don't see a fuse and swear I hear a click of a relay...

The other is more of a question; my MT82 with the MGW had a rubber seal for the shifter to body. It kept much of the noise out of the cabin. Is there a similar product available?

Pic of kit pre-install....

20230719_105430.jpg
Sponsored

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
Looks like you have the bowler harness. Proper installation there should make the reverse light work. The reverse light wires from the oem harness can also be wired directly to the transmission's reverse connector. Polarity of the wires doesn't matter, it is a very simple circuit. You shouldn't hear a relay click or anything like that for reverse.

I bought my dust boot from MGW shifters. You can use the same one that they sell in their shifter kit for the MT82, so if you still have it, it should bolt right in. They sold it to me for $10 plus shipping, but this was way back in 2020, so prices may have gone up.

There is a ton of information in this thread:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/installed-a-tremec-magnum-xl-in-my-s550.115797/

I suggest spending some time in there if you keep running into trouble. There's several discussions on the bowler harness.

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
What year s550?

OP
OP

eli.krahulec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Sorry, 2015 S550.

It is a Bowler module. I skipped the bowler reverse connection as with both transmissions the reverse switch is just a N/O detent switch. As such I connected it via a weather pack per the Tremec connection to the reverse circuit in the car. The reverse cam/light worked prior to the installation and I'm stumped as to why it's not now.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
Recently installed a new Tremec Magnum XL in my S550. Having a couple of issues.

Reverse lights don't work after install. Does anyone know the wiring circuit? The switch on the trans is definitely closing, but no lights or camera. I don't see a fuse and swear I hear a click of a relay...

The other is more of a question; my MT82 with the MGW had a rubber seal for the shifter to body. It kept much of the noise out of the cabin. Is there a similar product available?

Pic of kit pre-install....

20230719_105430.jpg
Great choice! if it were me I would either resurface or replace the flywheel . It's a lot of trouble to do all that work. And you do not need clutch chatter from a flywheel that is not perfectly flat. Take your time and do it right torque all the bolts and enjoy the ride.

Also after swapping transmissions over the years in many of my cars. I have found the best noise suppressor was a piece of pink wall insulation cut to fit directly over the top of the trans between the floor and the trans . If cut right it does not interfere with any linkage, doesn't burn and provides just the right amount of noise cancelling.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

eli.krahulec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
If anyone else is searching for a reason their reverse lights stopped working after this type of install, you need to provide ground signal to the ground pcm of the 3 wire factory harness. Can splice 2 wires (12v neg pcm and 1 of the reverse circuit) into 1 side of the reverse detent switch and the other reverse wire on the other side. As soon as the pcm sees a neg circuit it works as it should.

OP
OP

eli.krahulec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Great choice! if it were me I would either resurface or replace the flywheel . It's a lot of trouble to do all that work. And you do not need clutch chatter from a flywheel that is not perfectly flat. Take your time and do it right torque all the bolts and enjoy the ride.

Also after swapping transmissions over the years in many of my cars. I have found the best noise suppressor was a piece of pink wall insulation cut to fit directly over the top of the trans between the floor and the trans . If cut right it does not interfere with any linkage, doesn't burn and provides just the right amount of noise cancelling.
Not shown in the picture is a lightweight Flywheel, extremely low miles and the Mcleod MXT that I just installed on the MT-82.

As for the pink, not a bad idea but not really wanting to buy an entire bale of insulation for 8x8 piece. Ended up snagging the rubber off the MGW Shifter and I'll replace it for sale.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
Not shown in the picture is a lightweight Flywheel, extremely low miles and the Mcleod MXT that I just installed on the MT-82.

As for the pink, not a bad idea but not really wanting to buy an entire bale of insulation for 8x8 piece. Ended up snagging the rubber off the MGW Shifter and I'll replace it for sale.
Note! Most suppliers Lowes, Home Depot, will give you a piece of insulation from a damaged roll.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
The s197 mustangs have a separate shift boot and not one integrated into the shifter like the s550 mt82. I found one on eBay for $35 and it fit perfectly:
IMG_1096.jpeg

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
The s197 mustangs have a separate shift boot and not one integrated into the shifter like the s550 mt82. I found one on eBay for $35 and it fit perfectly:
Awesome, any chance you have a part number for that? I'm not having much luck finding one on ebay now.

Sponsored

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Awesome, any chance you have a part number for that? I'm not having much luck finding one on ebay now.
Found one! In one pic you can see what I think is the part number, but not sure you'll be able to find it anywhere. I think you can only get it from Ford with the entire stock shifter assembly.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/385764100523?hash=item59d15509ab:g:2roAAOSwpE5ksZRY&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA0BiozXlMZLtkrJ013xmpA6JcBVrVoGkSjHxJyZGc25jUMNJcvy+/NallBmESOoSmOwtAzrQPoqJiQWKIr+zxrPFnlC6pTGvvoPRzcjj8D74ZYIgtegSYeXc9BrFjX8w3ZLPhVApxpu6AJGf/p7/qQABGfGIXZjiLTMOhvezoQ10ezV4jU7/ZiFxli9KU30r8BnKTYRTwYFJwwtsgPrEXNIZl8sml4IDfdzdZtHYH7GidGnvQXMVuXrJPBtt4fpau3Fp0k1EvvSI7FKYOYj3AfKM=|tkp:Bk9SR4jD0ZTDYg