Sponsored

Transmission vent tube

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
I had my TR-3160 transmission replaced under warranty earlier this year. I've driven the car a couple thousand miles since the transmission replacement, with no issues. However, Friday was my first track day since the transmission replacement. I didn't have any obvious issues on track, and I kept an eye on the transmission temps like I always do, and they were fine during every session--never anywhere even close to the "hot" marks on the gauge.

When I got home, I put the car up on jack stands to change wheels, and I noticed red transmission fluid all over the bottom passenger side of my car. After the car had been parked a couple hours, I also noticed a small puddle of transmission fluid as well, maybe 3" x 3".

Yesterday I pulled the transmission fluid fill plug since I figured the fluid was likely low, and I don't want to drive around with low transmission fluid. It took roughly a half quart of fluid before it started to seep out the fill plug.

This morning I got underneath the car again with a borescope to see if I could see anything obvious going on at the top of the transmission. There is a loose rubber hose hanging down on the passenger side of the transmission, that is not connected to anything at one end (I couldn't tell what it's connected to at the other end). At the top of the transmission, there is nothing connected to the transmission vent tube.

So, my two questions are: (1) is the rubber hose supposed to be hanging like that, not connected to anything? and (2) is there supposed to be anything connected to the vent tube at the top of the transmission?

Hose.jpg

Vent Tube.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
THX 138

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
Thank you both. I’ll bet the rubber tube that isn’t connected to anything on my car is the fitting with the bulb at the top shown in the photos in those two posts. Back to the dealership I go…
Sponsored