Sponsored

Transmission Temperature - Fluid loss

• Thread starter Deleted member 35644
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1

Deleted member 35644

Hey guys,

Took the car on its first trip this weekend. No issues going, big issues coming home. It's about 110 miles of various highways.

Did some 'spirited' slow traffic passing on a few occasions, and got about 5 miles from home and the transmission started acting indecisive on which gear it wanted to stay in. Flipped over to transmission temperature and it was at 215. Just kept a steady throttle, and it kept climbing to 225. I took the next exit and stopped.

I smelled transmission fluid as soon as I opened the door. There are a few drops hanging from the cross brace, and the exhaust flex joint was smoking.

I raised the hood, turned the heater on full blast and let it idle. It slowly dropped to about 195, so I continued home. It pretty much stayed at 195 for the next few miles of stop & go. Got home, and the cooling fan ran for several minutes after shutdown.

My discovery 10 minutes later: I took off the radiator shroud, and just started feeling around. The cooler in the middle is STONE cold on its top, and as far down as I can stick my fingers. Shouldn't this thing be burning hot?

I was assuming that this transmission may be one of the units that made it out of the factory underfilled, but I'm now also wondering why the transmission cooler wouldn't be even a little warm, if its full of overheated fluid. Thermostat not working?

I've never had an automatic overheat when I'm playing around passing people.

2018 with 31,000 miles, warranty start date was March 2018, so I'm assuming this will be a warranty thing, whatever the problem may be.

Any insights?

Cooler.jpg

Drip2.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Sounds like you have a blockage somewhere in the cooling system, or the bypass valve failed shut. Yes the cooler should be hot once you get past 190* and the bypass opens allowing hot fluid to go through it.

Even if it was low on fluid and the cooler was only partially filled, it would still get at least warm to the touch up top. This makes me think that no hot fluid is actually getting to it eg. something is blocking the lines.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
My trans was leaking and this is what they found happened and how it was solved

PKeqBBq.jpg

iS09O8V.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 35644

Update: Service writer said trans pan was leaking, causing a low fluid situation, causing erratic shifting and overheat.

Funny that the pan was bone dry until the transmission vented fluid last week. So, either they haven't found the root cause, or it was underfilled from the factory and they're just not going to say that.

Time, and another highway trip, will tell.
Sponsored