Sponsored

Transmission output flange

JohnBoyNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Any advice on removing this?

Apparently the driveshaft mounting holes are a 1.5 pitch bolt and I received 1.25's from the driveshaft manufacturer.

Looks to be a 30 mm, but I'm wondering whether it may be left hand threaded.

Any help would be appreciated.
20190513_120404.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
JohnBoyNC

JohnBoyNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I tried a 30 mm socket, but it just doesn't wanna bite very well. I'm concerned to put much force on it and strip this thing. It doesn't help that the head of this thing is maybe 1/4 inch deep. I'll try a 29 mm and go from there.

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
Why are you taking that flange off? Did the threads get stripped? I assume this is the Shaftmasters that you are installing?

OP
OP
JohnBoyNC

JohnBoyNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
^^ yep and yep.....they sent the wrong pitch bolts.....:curse:

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
^^ yep and yep.....they sent the wrong pitch bolts.....:curse:
That's shitty. Hopefully you get it all fixed.
Have you tried to chase the threads? Might be able to do that, if they're not too bad.
I have yet to install my Shaftmasters that I bought, hopefully it all works out because it's been over 30 days.

Sponsored

ckendri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
You’re going to need a puller as well. I had to pull a 4 bolt flange off an 2012 MT82 and swap my 3 bolt flange on when I broke my first one. It’s tight, and will not just fall off after the bolt is removed.

OP
OP
JohnBoyNC

JohnBoyNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
You’re going to need a puller as well. I had to pull a 4 bolt flange off an 2012 MT82 and swap my 3 bolt flange on when I broke my first one. It’s tight, and will not just fall off after the bolt is removed.
Do you remember if it was right or left hand threaded?

The seal should be ok after pulling?

You pulled the flanges from both a '12 and an S550? I didn't follow your comment about the 3-bolt flange.

Torque value?

Did you do yours with the tranny still mounted in the car?

Last edited:
OP
OP
JohnBoyNC

JohnBoyNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
That's shitty. Hopefully you get it all fixed.
Have you tried to chase the threads? Might be able to do that, if they're not too bad.
I have yet to install my Shaftmasters that I bought, hopefully it all works out because it's been over 30 days.
They're working with me so far but this is slowly turning into a headache for this weekend garage mechanic.

ckendri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Right hand thread. Tranny out of the car. Yes I replaced my transmission with one out of an older car and the output flange is different on the S550. I had to pull both and swap them to fit to my 2016 driveshaft. You need to torque it back to 150 ft-lb. The seal should be fine. I had no problem with my seal after swapping flanges.

ckendri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Additionally, you could chase threads, buy a little longer bolts and add nuts and lock washers to the back. Then you wouldn’t have to pull the flange. My DSS shaft is setup that way. It of course uses the same thread as the flange, but it has nuts and lock washers on the backside. Add a little blue loctite, and you’ll be fine.

Sponsored
OP
OP
JohnBoyNC

JohnBoyNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
#ckendri

Do you recall the size socket you used?

Like I said earlier, the nut on that piece is so thin, I thought it was a 30 mm but I tried both a 6 pt and a 12 pt socket, but neither really feels secure enuf, especially if it's on with 150 ft/lbs.

Thanks for all the info!!

OP
OP
JohnBoyNC

JohnBoyNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Alright, what's the consensus on drilling the threads out (12mm) and running a longer #8 bolt thru and using a locknut AND locktite?

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Alright, what's the consensus on drilling the threads out (12mm) and running a longer #8 bolt thru and using a locknut AND locktite?
I have mine sitting to be installed still and got this email, I'm guessing this is your doing:

Dear Customer:
It has come to our attention that due to an error on the part of our fastener supplier.
You may have received front mounting bolts with your recent driveshaft purchase that have an incorrect thread pitch.

We are shipping correct front mounting bolts to your provided "ship to" address via USPS 2 Day Priority Mail.
Tracking#

OP
OP
JohnBoyNC

JohnBoyNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
If that's from Shaftmasters then, yes!

OP
OP
JohnBoyNC

JohnBoyNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I ran a short grade 8 through from the backside then tapped it from the front. I just finished the easiest and then the worst one, at least I hope it was. Tore up the threads a tad on the bolt I used to chase, so I'll need another to finish, but so far, so good.

I think I'll still run bolts all the way through and locknut it.
20190517_171901.jpg
Sponsored