Sponsored

Pinion Flange Swap (2016 Flange onto 2018 PP Diff)

HourlyB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
I've been trying to mount a PP diff out of a 2019 Mustang GT to my non-PP 2016 GT, really since springtime.

It's been plagued with issues since being mounted, but here's the short list;

1. A whining noise at highway speed immediately after mounting. Shimming and backlash were checked. Everything was fine.
  2. After replacing both the ring and pinion gears and bearings, there's a noticeable vibration that can be felt in the at 40 mph and in the steering wheel at 60 mph.
  3. The car lacks power at certain RPMs when it hasn't before. It feels like the car has turbo lag, but no turbo. (3k, 4th gear, foot on the floor, absolutely gutless. This is not only annoying, but dangerous)
The last issue might simply be due to the car pulling power and not being tuned for the 3.73 gears, but the first two have been vexing me for months.

But after emailing Ford Performance, it turns out that I might've just ruined my car and have been chasing ghosts.

They said that "(from the plant) …they modify the pinion flange as necessary to reduce the vibration. If you remove the pinion flange and do not reinstall it in the same location a vibration can occur.
Or if you replace the pinion flange."

I was told that you could swap the pinion flange relatively easily, but this makes it seem like that isn't even possible from jump. Has anyone done this kind of job before, and is there any good solution available or is it screwed?

The car is currently at a Ford dealer, so if I need to pull it out of there and bring it somewhere else I'd prefer to do it before they spend several hours chasing nothing.
Sponsored