ddivinia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darin
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT-350R
I was worried about that.

I think I'll just warm the car up and check the differential fluid level. Heck, I read it is supposed to be 9mm below the fill plug. If I full it up all the way until fluid runs out - maybe that is enough for to make up for the diff cooler?

D.
Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I was worried about that.

I think I'll just warm the car up and check the differential fluid level. Heck, I read it is supposed to be 9mm below the fill plug. If I full it up all the way until fluid runs out - maybe that is enough for to make up for the diff cooler?

D.
Filling it up to the hole is enough to make the seals leak when the diff gets hot...

If you drain the diff by pulling the lower hose, you can refill it with 52 ounces of diff fluid and 4 ounces of XL3 friction modifier and it'll be at the right level.

ddivinia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darin
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT-350R
OK - that is how I plan on draining it.

Thanks,
D.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Filling it up to the hole is enough to make the seals leak when the diff gets hot...

If you drain the diff by pulling the lower hose, you can refill it with 52 ounces of diff fluid and 4 ounces of XL3 friction modifier and it'll be at the right level.

Have you seen this on the GT350? I haven't had this experience myself, but admittedly I'm just one person.

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Hey sir, how much would you recommend for a car that sees 75% track use?
The XL3 is in the service manual so I use it. I don't know if it actually accomplishes anything with the Torsen, but if Ford says do it, I'll do it.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Have you seen this on the GT350? I haven't had this experience myself, but admittedly I'm just one person.
It hasn't happened to me (the leak, that is) on the diff but there was a thread on either this forum or TMO in the last five years that talked about it happening on a GT350. There's no downside to filling it to 9mm below the filler hole, and once I'd figured out how much fluid to install to get it there reliably, it's never been a problem.

Actually, though, I did have a leak on the front seal of the gearbox because I overfilled it once. I noticed the drips and drained it down and it hasn't leaked since.

ddivinia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darin
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT-350R
I had a dealer overfill the rear diff in my 2005 Ram 3500 and it blew out both axles seals.

D.
Sponsored