OP

silverflash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt PP1
not really crazy expensive. my truck- 2019 TRD 4x4 OFFROAD with automatic trans and some extra options like power tailgate/power rear window, etc etc was $35,500 before TTL
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
not really crazy expensive. my truck- 2019 TRD 4x4 OFFROAD with automatic trans and some extra options like power tailgate/power rear window, etc etc was $35,500 before TTL
That's actually not that bad. Plus the Taco holds its value well.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
my specific truck, the off-road TRD 4x4 short bed auto gets 18/22mpgs. the trip back home from dealer, i averaged 21.5. that was all suburban roads with stop signs/lights etc. I will take that for a v6 pickup 4x4 anyday. i watched the eco display and alot of the time i was getting mid 20's on level with some gas applied but only time will tell. it's a big truck imho for a midsize. it makes my 2007 xterra 4x4 look like a baby in the garage,
baby.jpg
Thoughts on the Taco vs the Xterra? I've got a 2010 X that just cleared 174K.. getting to the point where it's either dump a decent amount of money into it to keep it on the road, or go Taco / Colorado / Frontier.

Sponsored

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
LOL. to each his own and that pic doesn't do the tacos justice at all. it's actually a very nice looking pickup IMHO.
I own a land cruiser and love it. It is a 2002 and I trust my life with it. We have driven all over with it and the four wheel drive is awesome. We are in the Rockies at the moment. Your truck is sweet and pretty - I’m just busting your balls about giving up on the stang.

Good luck with it.

OP
OP

silverflash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt PP1
Thoughts on the Taco vs the Xterra? I've got a 2010 X that just cleared 174K.. getting to the point where it's either dump a decent amount of money into it to keep it on the road, or go Taco / Colorado / Frontier.

well i have a 2007 4x4 s model xterra since i bought it new in late 2006. So i have all the maint records- mostly done by me or the dealer for warranty stuff. i just replaced the 2 primary cat because of their close proximity to the exhaust manifolds and some of the guys have had pieces of cat get sucked back into their motors and ruining them. So i wanted to be proactive and went with eastern catalytics and i know a guy who is a ASE mechanic and paid him to do it. my o2 sensor on back 2, sensor 2, was failed immediately after i got it back from him based on the data i collected before and after the work- o2 sensor b2s2 was .28v and should be that till closed look and then be higher and change. it was ok before the new cats but after, stuck on .28 and it tripped a CEL. new sensor was 70$ and is fine now.

mine drives and runs and looks like new. i can't see trading it in as they would give me crap for it and it's worth way more to me than the 4k they would have given me. as long as you kept the maint up- as i did- you should be good to go for a while. I have a friend who owns a 2006 xterra and they have like 190k or so on it and has had a cat replaced and a couple other minor things but the engine and trans - even though they had the SMOD- is running fine.....

my decision to trade the stang in for the taco was based on my accessing some mountain property of mine. i have the xterra and a 4x4 patriot but if the patriot were to go away somehow, i'd have to rely on the X, which is fine but then waht do you do if the engine dies and a replacement cost is like 6k or so? So i thought, i really don't use the stang besides old man cruising (i am old and cruise for no reason in it) so why not put that back into something i will use alot more of.... so that's what i did. the stangs are cool but just didn't fit my lifestyle and the ticking/rattling bothered me- i am OCD i reckon.

as far as taco vs xterra----- the xterra is quicker, due to it's higher torque and less weight- plus i have a tune on it. the quality is the same- which i love- between the 2. they both jsut feel solid and right. built to last. the taco is higher up and longer of course. the x would be better for more challenging offroad which i do not do, due to it's shorter wheel base and better approach/departure/ramp over angles. the xterra has less cralw ratio than the tacoma- 33:1 xterra to 36:1 taco.

which way you go if new is toyota as the x is no longer made new. if used, either would do i suppose. toyotas are supposedly really reliable, more so than nissans. but if i have the same experience with the taco as i have had with the x to this point, i will be very happy!

end of the book!

OP
OP

silverflash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt PP1
I own a land cruiser and love it. It is a 2002 and I trust my life with it. We have driven all over with it and the four wheel drive is awesome. We are in the Rockies at the moment. Your truck is sweet and pretty - I’m just busting your balls about giving up on the stang.

Good luck with it.
ball buster!!!! LOL

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
Mine's had a few mods done.. got it with just under 90k and it's never left me stranded or even had a check engine light. But now it's getting to that point, everything is just a bit 'tired'.

Thanks for the insight!
20170903_082122.jpg

OP
OP

silverflash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt PP1
Mine's had a few mods done.. got it with just under 90k and it's never left me stranded or even had a check engine light. But now it's getting to that point, everything is just a bit 'tired'.

Thanks for the insight!
20170903_082122.jpg
P1010138.jpg

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
This.

I priced one out online and it came in under what I'd want in a Ranger. Hmmm. After living with Jeep quality (there's an oxymoron) for the better part of a decade, I'd like something on the other end of the reliability spectrum for the next DD. A co-worker's Tundra has been bulletproof for many years, it might be time to try a Toyota finally.

OP
OP

silverflash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt PP1
i left my 4x4 patriot at the dealer for 2 weeks recently trying to chase down a weird hum noise from front end that's been there since almost new- it has 18k miles on it now- and has had tires changed since and they replaced engine mounts and adjusted this and that and it changed, but it's still there. that and the greasy paw prints left all over the hood which left some fine scratches. i try to avoid the dealerships at all costs....
Sponsored