Sponsored

Traction on 20's?

Hellspawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Do you think the GT will be able to get any kind of traction with the 20" wheel option? What about the following year if the GT gets 500hp?
Sponsored

m4a1mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '19 XC90, '13 335i
20x9 wheels with 265 width summers... it won't be like trying to hook up on a skinny all season tire but it won't necessarily be ideal for maximum traction either.

OP
OP
Hellspawn

Hellspawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Yeah I like the look of the 20's but am a bit concerned...

SLVRBACK

Tuna on white, no crust
Threads
Reaction score
Aside from a slick, the amount of sidewall you can run really doesn't affect your traction.

My buddy owns a 2010 camaro with 20's and 315 NT05's and dead hooks. He makes 420+ wheel.

Several turbo mustangs on 19's that run low 9's with decent 60"s as well.

Then again this is from a drag racing perspective, im not sure what your intent with the car is.

MPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Some of the best performing cars in the world are riding on 20's. If traction on 20's was an issue these cars wouldn't have them.

2012-Lamborghini-Aventador-LP-700-4-front-three-quarter-track.jpg

The main issue will 20 inch wheels and lower profile tires is decreased ride comfort.

Sponsored

m4a1mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '19 XC90, '13 335i
The main issue with the Ford 20s is that they are narrow.

TearTheHorizon

Threads
Reaction score
Its all based on your intent with the car. If you plan on wanting peak performance in a straight line, go larger sidewall, and slightly lower pressure. This gives the largest contact patch with the road.
However, if youre not drag racing, dont.
If you want peak performance in a corner, less sidewall works much better.
The more sidewall you have the more likely the contact patch will continue in its original direction as opposed to where your aiming it. Theres a tech term for this, but I dont know it :)

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
The main issue will 20 inch wheels and lower profile tires is decreased ride comfort.
I would say the main issue with 20" wheels is that those 20" wheels move the weight of the rim a full 1" out from the center of the hub over an 18" wheel. This has a profound impact on acceleration and braking capabilities of the car as well as the consumables used in those applications (ie: Brake Pads and Rotors and gas).

Decreased ride comfort pales in comparison to the effects of 20" wheels on braking and acceleration...

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
I would say the main issue with 20" wheels is that those 20" wheels move the weight of the rim a full 1" out from the center of the hub over an 18" wheel. This has a profound impact on acceleration and braking capabilities of the car as well as the consumables used in those applications (ie: Brake Pads and Rotors and gas).

Decreased ride comfort pales in comparison to the effects of 20" wheels on braking and acceleration...
Yep, rotational inertia.

Again I'm okay with the 19's if it gives us and advantage in acceleration and braking. I may like to upgrade to a wider offset wheel/tire package someday as well. Maybe a 275 front 295 rear stagger. If they will fit without rubbing. We will have to see what type of room is under those wheel wells.

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
Yep, rotational inertia.

Again I'm okay with the 19's if it gives us and advantage in acceleration and braking. I may like to upgrade to a wider offset wheel/tire package someday as well. Maybe a 275 front 295 rear stagger. If they will fit without rubbing. We will have to see what type of room is under those wheel wells.
SVT prototype has already been spotted with 295's up front and the S197 could swallow 315's up front with the right wheels and some negative camber and a shorter overall tire height (less than 26.7").

I'm just glad the 14" Brembo option will fit 18" wheels... I don't want 19" wheels or 20" wheels just based on the cost of the tires alone.

Also, the S197 could swallow some pretty wide tires out back too and since this car has a wider track and fenders to match, I would be shocked if you couldn't fit at least 315's out back without rubbing. Supposedly the SVT car is going to have 11" wide front wheels and 13" wide rear wheels... 295's up front and something substantially larger out back like 315's or 335's. For handling I would fight for a square tire setup though to help ward off understeer.

Sponsored

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
SVT prototype has already been spotted with 295's up front and the S197 could swallow 315's up front with the right wheels and some negative camber and a shorter overall tire height (less than 26.7").

I'm just glad the 14" Brembo option will fit 18" wheels... I don't want 19" wheels or 20" wheels just based on the cost of the tires alone.

Also, the S197 could swallow some pretty wide tires out back too and since this car has a wider track and fenders to match, I would be shocked if you couldn't fit at least 315's out back without rubbing. Supposedly the SVT car is going to have 11" wide front wheels and 13" wide rear wheels... 295's up front and something substantially larger out back like 315's or 335's. For handling I would fight for a square tire setup though to help ward off understeer.
I hope you're right. I'd love to put some really fat rubber under both ends. ;)

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
I have some 275/40/19's on 9.5" wheels on my 13 and they fit nicely and look way wider now. The problem with Ford is they always skimp out on wheels esp, on GT models. Please Ford throw some 9.5-10" wheels at least for the back.

MPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

Having gone from 18 inch stock to 20x9 on my 2011 and from 17 inch stock to 20's on my '06 and '07 the only noticeable differences were improved cornering/turn in and harsher ride, the "profound impact on acceleration and braking" you speak of........nope, noticed no difference gas mileage, brake pad wear or in acceleration, other than slightly better hookup on hard take off which could be due to the type of tires. If it does decrease acceleration it's such a small amount you aren't going to notice unless you are at a track and counting the tenths of seconds, and most people aren't.

13GTCSMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR/GT/20's/NAV
I'd sure love to see 275's all the way around on the GT model. That's the one thing I hate about my 13 GT/CS. P245's are just way to small for this car.