Traction control in track mode

rishi_says

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rishi
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem, PP2
When I put the car in track mode, the traction control off indicator shows on the instrument pannel.
I haven't found any good info on what that means. In my old Audi, the traction control system had varying degrees of off, most of the settings just made it less aggressive to intervene and turning it completely off was lengthy hold and some 'ok' selections.

On these cars in track mode, is the TC truly completely off or is it just less aggressive but still active?
Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My car is a base, so no track mode for me. Do you have a button to toggle the TCS settings? On the base models one tap is “traction off” two quick taps is “sport” and holding for 5 seconds is “advance trac disabled”. There’s very distinct differences between the three in regards to how quickly the TCS steps in to regulate. With everything off the car will do whatever your input as the driver is.

OP
OP
rishi_says

rishi_says

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rishi
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem, PP2
My car is a base, so no track mode for me. Do you have a button to toggle the TCS settings? On the base models one tap is “traction off” two quick taps is “sport” and holding for 5 seconds is “advance trac disabled”. There’s very distinct differences between the three in regards to how quickly the TCS steps in to regulate. With everything off the car will do whatever your input as the driver is.
The car does have a button to engage the TCS setting and this is real helpful.

Hopefully someone will have info on which of these 3 the car goes into when you put it into Track Mode esp since in Sport mode there's no indication of traction control settings changing.

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Default at every start-up:
- Traction Control On
- Stability Control On

Single tap: "Traction Control Off"
- Traction Control Off
- Stability Control On

Double Tap: "AdvancTrac Sport Mode"
- Traction Control Reduced
- Stability Control Reduced

Press & Hold: "AdvancTrac Off" (e.g. Track Mode)
- Traction Control Off
- Stability Control Off

AdvancTrac helps to maintain control of your vehicle on slippery surfaces using Traction Control and Stability Control by applying brakes to individual wheels and reducing engine power.

Traction control helps to avoid drive wheel spin and loss of traction.

Stability control helps avoid skids and lateral slides.

On a Base Mustang, this is all completely independent of the steering setting.

to disable all the nannies, I'm pretty sure you have to disconnect the ABS plug near the air filter.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I've run my car on track in every mode and there is zero difference in lap times. You need to slowly work to find the limit of traction and not exceed it, that's the fast lap no matter what setting you've got the car in. And it's a hell of a lot safer with it turned on if you do screw up, just this week we saw a guy wad up a nice '18 Mustang running on slicks on a cold track. Ugly. Very very ugly. Got both ends hard, it's basically a junk car now.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rishi_says

rishi_says

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rishi
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem, PP2
- Traction Control On
- Stability Control On

- Traction Control Off
- Stability Control On

- Traction Control Off
- Stability Control Off

AdvancTrac helps to maintain control of your vehicle on slippery surfaces using Traction Control and Stability Control by applying brakes to individual wheels and reducing engine power.

to disable all the nannies, I'm pretty sure you have to disconnect the ABS plug near the air filter.
I've run my car on track in every mode and there is zero difference in lap times. You need to slowly work to find the limit of traction and not exceed it, that's the fast lap no matter what setting you've got the car in. And it's a hell of a lot safer with it turned on if you do screw up, just this week we saw a guy wad up a nice '18 Mustang running on slicks on a cold track. Ugly. Very very ugly. Got both ends hard, it's basically a junk car now.
Thanks for the details. I was more curious. I figured other than the active exhaust sound there wasn't much difference between sport and track mode.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
LC on or off plays a role in what the car does.
The IRS is way different than a solid axle car as well if that's what one is used to.

TehEno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT - Tickford Supercharge Pack - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
I had my TC off and normally took off from a set of lights then gunned it, wheels spun for alittle then nannies kicked in and bogged me down, was alittle curious as to why considering I had TC off.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My understanding is that the trac control warning light comes in (in track mode) because the traction/stability control system is operating with reduced sensitivity. (In track mode, it allows a certain amount of wheelspin or yaw before engaging).

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
It means traction control is off and stability control is on with some reduced sensitivity. Driving modes are explained in the manual.

Stability control in any of the modes is very invasive (including track mode) if you are anywhere near the limit btw - but you have to get there. Stability control can be turned completely off by holding TC button for 7 seconds or by pulling the plug under the hood.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
With all the respect - if you had same time on the road coarse in each mode, you were driving waaaay under the limit. Stability control uses brakes to prevent yaw and in normal mode it is _very_invasive to the point where it would be slowing you down in almost every corner.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
- Traction Control On
- Stability Control On

- Traction Control Off
- Stability Control On

- Traction Control Off
- Stability Control Off

In track mode stability is still on. Try to get sideways itll reign you in. Hold the TC switch till advance Trac turns off. Totally different experience

OP
OP
rishi_says

rishi_says

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rishi
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem, PP2
^ this. I actually enjoyed the Skyway more than the Dragon. Faster road, less cars, and less cops.
Those are some great pics! Love the color too...what's the darkness on the tint?
- Traction Control On
- Stability Control On

- Traction Control Off
- Stability Control On

- Traction Control Off
- Stability Control Off

It means traction control is off and stability control is on with some reduced sensitivity. Driving modes are explained in the manual.

Stability control in any of the modes is very invasive (including track mode) if you are anywhere near the limit btw - but you have to get there. Stability control can be turned completely off by holding TC button for 7 seconds or by pulling the plug under the hood.
In track mode stability is still on. Try to get sideways itll reign you in. Hold the TC switch till advance Trac turns off. Totally different experience

i tried double tapping in my 2019 PP2 yesterday and it didnt take me to Advanced Trac Sport Mode. It just turned traction control off then on. Holding it down did turn Advance Trac off.
The PP2 (dont know about other trims) does come with Normal, Sport+, Track, Drag, Snow/Wet modes so maybe the double tap doesnt work cuz the driving modes accomplishes this?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Like.....an actual track? Or a drag strip?

Traction & stability control ain't gonna stop someone from wadding up their car because they were running hard on cold "slicks".

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
i tried double tapping in my 2019 PP2 yesterday and it didnt take me to Advanced Trac Sport Mode. It just turned traction control off then on. Holding it down did turn Advance Trac off.
The PP2 (dont know about other trims) does come with Normal, Sport+, Track, Drag, Snow/Wet modes so maybe the double tap doesnt work cuz the driving modes accomplishes this?
There is no double tapping on a manual car with driving modes - maybe that's an Auto thing or something. Traction / Stability control settings are tied to the modes, except for turning traction and stability control off as described earlier.
Sponsored