Sponsored

Track pads to get back into trackdays (HPDE)

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
Ford quietly fixed the inverted rotor hats on the 4 piston brakes. The later cars (2023 for sure) came with rotors with the cooling veins on the inboard side of the rotor. That's probably a cheap and effective upgrade.
Oh that's great thanks for letting us know. I couldn't find the rotors locally yet but that might be due to the Ecoboost models no longer being available in Europe and the GT cars come stock with the performance pack. So no 4 pot calipers for us anymore. (Ford had to either drop the Ecoboost or GT to lower their total fleet emissions and chose to keep the GT)

HeelToeHero beat me to it. 👍

The 2022 and 2023 base GTs have 4-pot brakes that use rotors with conventional cooling from the hub side. It might include late 2021 model year production as well. If these rotors are compatible with your hubs and calipers, maybe that's a cost effective option. You can also get the PP belly pan and Vorshlag deflectors to channel air to the hub side for proper cooling. With track-capable pads and fluid, I would think this setup should satisfy most folks.

This is my plan.
I'm not sure if it's an issue for the 2018+ cars like you have, but for mine the PP belly pan only fits with the PP front splitter which is if I remember very expensive.

If I do go this route I will most likely buy a spare base belly pan and cut some cooling ducts in that one.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
and you have the chocolate to boot! LOL Well about the installing anything, talk to the Cali folks they have problems even with stock exhaust, it's very nanny state level. But my state we don't even have state inspection! You can roll with about anything installed or no fenders even. I do get it about laws in Europe, I worked for a German based Pharma company (contract in US) and the car guys I chatted with told me it's tough to modify any car.

After watching, btw I watched your whole video and seeing how the drivers there handle the tracks I have to say, (might be an unpopular opinion) that folks there seem to be more "adult" about their track driving than here.

For the track maybe rent a M8? hahaha
Yeah Cali is much like Europe regarding automotive laws I heard. If it doesn't have some kind of stupid certification it isn't allowed.

I can't speak for all events but the ones I go to are for road registered cars and they do tend to care about their cars and don't do dumb things. I've never had a negative experience with other drivers on track.

However the Nürburgring during touristenfahrten where everyone can show up can be sketchy from time to time. Sometimes there are delivery guys driving their van around like a mad man on the track! (search for DHL van Nürburgring on youtube and you'll find plenty of videos)

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
Hey Walt I recently ordered new front PP calipers from RockAuto they come reasonably quick and were like 500$
Are you happy with the calipers? Did they arrive in like new condition? I looked on RockAuto and I noticed it said "remanufactured". I'm not sure what to expect of that I'd rather not have used brake equipment. The internals are supposed to be new but is the outer casting worn down or something?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Here in the US it's common practice to get replacement calipers that are remanufactured. My experience is they look and function like brand new parts. I never have any concerns at all with buying remanufactured calipers.

Sponsored

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I've been wondering if a set of 2-piece rotors from steeda (or similar) could solve majority of the 4 pot overheat issues, combined with brake cooling from pp1? Those shouldn't have inverted rotor issues and reduced weight is always a good thing. Thoughts?
I own a 2017 EcoBoost and yes they solve a lot of heat problems. On stock GT 4 pot calipers and rotors I could easily cook OEM pads on the track. I upgraded to Steeda 2 piece rotors and Vorschlag cooling deflectors; that combo lowered brake temps so much I was able to use OEM pads as long as I kept session times below 20 minutes. I'm upgrading pads before this season but the Steeda 2 piece rotor / Vorschlag cooling deflector combo makes a HUGE difference.

chuckhammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT, Carbonized Gray, MT82, base, no options.
Oh that's great thanks for letting us know. I couldn't find the rotors locally yet but that might be due to the Ecoboost models no longer being available in Europe and the GT cars come stock with the performance pack. So no 4 pot calipers for us anymore. (Ford had to either drop the Ecoboost or GT to lower their total fleet emissions and chose to keep the GT)

I'm not sure if it's an issue for the 2018+ cars like you have, but for mine the PP belly pan only fits with the PP front splitter which is if I remember very expensive.

If I do go this route I will most likely buy a spare base belly pan and cut some cooling ducts in that one.
You do need a different chin splitter to properly mate to the PP belly pan. There are several aftermarket options out there.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Are you happy with the calipers? Did they arrive in like new condition? I looked on RockAuto and I noticed it said "remanufactured". I'm not sure what to expect of that I'd rather not have used brake equipment. The internals are supposed to be new but is the outer casting worn down or something?
they looked like brand new the remanufactured means that they are used one but with everything replaced at the same factory they are build and then go through the same QC as the normal ones. So yeah I'm really happy with them provided the price was 1/3rd of what my dealer was asking for new ones. I'm a track rack calipers are a consumable anyway.

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
...I'm not sure if it's an issue for the 2018+ cars like you have, but for mine the PP belly pan only fits with the PP front splitter which is if I remember very expensive.

That's what I did with a base belly pan. I cut it and installed NACA scoops.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/naca-brake-cooling-duct-project.125915/

The original idea was to route cooling ducts but it didn't work, so I simply left the NACA scoops in the belly pan to route air to Vorschlag deflectors - and that combo with the 2 piece Steeda rotors completely solved my brake overheating problems. You could do something simliar to avoid spending $$$ on an expensive front splitter.
Sponsored