Track Hood w Functioning Vents for 15-17

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Roush hood and don't want to cut it up. There has to be a good functioning hood for the 15-17.
Looking at the GT500 style but what is the consensus or the experts say?
Sponsored

Last edited:

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I have a Roush hood and don't want to cut it up. There has to be a good functioning hood for the 15-17.
Looking at the GT500 style but what is the consensus or the experts say?
I'm not an expert, but the consensus that I know - Racelouvers are the best functional solution. I didn't want to cut the original hood either, so I just bought a stock takeoff hood from Marketplace. Saved some money as well.

There's also couple options from chicane23 that they claim have been aero tested and optimized for cooling, but I personally would still pick racelouvers for more efficiency: https://www.chicane23.com/body-and-aero/hoods/hood-mustang-2015-2017.html

Everything else that I could find, all these gt500 replicas and Anderson Composites hoods, they seem to be more esthetic than anything else.

OP
OP
Bahndvr

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not an expert, but the consensus that I know - Racelouvers are the best functional solution. I didn't want to cut the original hood either, so I just bought a stock takeoff hood from Marketplace. Saved some money as well.

There's also couple options from chicane23 that they claim have been aero tested and optimized for cooling, but I personally would still pick racelouvers for more efficiency: https://www.chicane23.com/body-and-aero/hoods/hood-mustang-2015-2017.html

Everything else that I could find, all these gt500 replicas and Anderson Composites hoods, they seem to be more esthetic than anything else.
Good info. I had forgot about Chicane23.
I see some people running the Kohr Racing carbon fiber hood.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Are you trying to cool down a roush charged engine on track? Just curious.

OP
OP
Bahndvr

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bahndvr

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hoping to spark the knowledgeable so I can get first hand information on hoods.
Which hoods are actually functional and of those what material is better and why? Who needs heat shielding? Which one can take the weather so I can daily drive it? Anything I may not have thought of?

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Hoping to spark the knowledgeable so I can get first hand information on hoods.
Which hoods are actually functional and of those what material is better and why? Who needs heat shielding? Which one can take the weather so I can daily drive it? Anything I may not have thought of?
Another vote here for Race Louvers and cutting the hood. You're not going find better value anywhere. They wind tunnel test all their products and post the results on their website.

"Which hoods are actually functional and of those what material is better and why?"
-
Tiger racing hood is functional and probably the best out there for a pre-made hood. If the website doesn't list wind tunnel or CFD data, it's not functional. Also carbon would be the best material due to lightness but aluminum or fiberglass would work just fine too for a lot less money.

"Which one can take the weather so I can daily drive it?"
-
This question doesn't make a lot of sense. None of the common hood materials rust (I don't believe anyone makes a steel aftermarket hood) so that's a nonissue. And with vents in the hood, the concern is not so much for the hood's survivability, but the engine and electrical components under the hood. Albert at Race Louvers says this is a nonissue regardless but if you're still concerned, you can always fabricate a rain tray of your own.

OP
OP
Bahndvr

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Another vote here for Race Louvers and cutting the hood. You're not going find better value anywhere. They wind tunnel test all their products and post the results on their website.

"Which hoods are actually functional and of those what material is better and why?"
-
Tiger racing hood is functional and probably the best out there for a pre-made hood. If the website doesn't list wind tunnel or CFD data, it's not functional. Also carbon would be the best material due to lightness but aluminum or fiberglass would work just fine too for a lot less money.

"Which one can take the weather so I can daily drive it?"
-
This question doesn't make a lot of sense. None of the common hood materials rust (I don't believe anyone makes a steel aftermarket hood) so that's a nonissue. And with vents in the hood, the concern is not so much for the hood's survivability, but the engine and electrical components under the hood. Albert at Race Louvers says this is a nonissue regardless but if you're still concerned, you can always fabricate a rain tray of your own.
Instead of weather I should have said withstand the elements like sitting in the hot sun all day, rain, sleet, snow and hail (daily driven). I'm not worried about the engine bay, of course it gets wet. I guess clear carbon fiber is better than carbon fiber.
Maybe I'm just thinking about fiberglass from bygone days.

Thanks for your input.

OP
OP
Bahndvr

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I do love the underside of the Tiger Racing hood

Tiger Racing Hood Underside Carbon.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bahndvr

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Race Louvers says these are the 3 best hoods:

3 Best Louver Hoods.jpg

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
If your hood is open, driving or parking in heavy rain is fine *most* of the time. The engine bay isn't expecting to have a ton of water hitting it from the top all the time, and while most things are pretty resilient, its just not what the car was built to expect. Electrical glitches will happen, usually they're short lived.

Other than the factory GT500 hood, which has a removable panel to close off the hood vents, I don't know of any that are actually safe for all weather conditions, you just have to take your chances, and lets hope you can park it indoors.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
As far as the rain protection, I wasn't excited at all about lots of water pouring on superchager, pulley, all the belts and tensioners. All of this is sitting exactly where the opening's most optimal position is. On the passenger side, the main fuse box gets completely exposed and there's bunch of wiring that gets modified to splice the supercharger electrical bits. Driver side is much less of a concern as roush has sealed air filter box. I daily my car and we get some very heavy rainfalls here, I also got caught in apocalyptic rainfalls on tracks at least couple times.

Given all of that and the fact that I'm too lazy to swap hoods for every event, I went ahead with the custom made rain trays. Since racelouvers already have mounting holes and bolts, it is very easy to do and it takes 15min to put the trays on and off. Of course they are not waterproof, but with natural curve of the hood, most of the water just drains down onto radiator area and away from important bits. Been driving and parking with these in rains, pressure washing the car, underhood remains dry. I posted few pics here: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/hood-vent-mods.181731/page-3#post-3673714

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I would cast my vote for TriFiber A88 Fiberglass hood which a straight replica of the GT4 hood.

https://trufiber.com/collections/20...07-mustang-fiberglass-a88-heat-extractor-hood

They do have it in Carbon for 1999$ which is really reasonable but the Fiberglass version should be good enough as well.

https://trufiber.com/collections/20...arbon-fiber-a88-heat-extractor-hood-exclusive

Hope this helps.
that is an awesome looking option for very reasonable price
Sponsored