Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
<smiling> We apparently share some common nerdy characteristics, DT..but WGAS, right? Text can be SO boring, I figure why not lighten things up a bit? Yep, used the underline, || (I forget what those are called,) etc., too funny. Did you start word processing with Wordstar? <CTRL><S> <smile>

As Monte and the boys were known to say,

"Ahh..yes, those were the days." :-)

Also glad you enjoyed the vid.
Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
a tire smoking drift out of turn 2 at Roebling will get you a little chat with the event management
Forgot to mention THAT! YIKES, I'm with Jim, that's a spooky thought, glad you were able to recover. WHEW! But OBVIOUSLY, you were hauling the mail! <smile>

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
OMT (One More Thing).. Yeah, I'm daffy as a duck, too.

"The Whole Track."

NOW I get it but from a rookie's perspective, they stressed "the line" so of course, being a good lemming, I tried to do that but obviously, you saw the tension and the lack of "smoothy.". :-) But I get it..and it makes perfect sense from all sorts of perspectives. T'anks.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
KB left everybody in his dust at the strip. White lightning baby!

Of course, don't go too far the other way, hahaha, a tire smoking drift out of turn 2 at Roebling will get you a little chat with the event management :D
About five of us rented Roebling for a track day in late September. My good friend George from MGW is bringing his newly acquired GT3 so I'll have my work cut out for me. Tracked there twice before and the turn that gets my attention is the last one before the long straight...something about that concrete barrier.

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
KB looks like you had a blast! Killed it bat the strip. We all need more road course time. Keep it up and thanks for sharing

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
We sure did, John..a MEGA BLAST. Yeah, got lucky with the launch RPM and became fairly good at the tree. Amazing how well the car sticks. And SO glad the weather was nice to us. Glad you enjoyed the clip, amigo.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
After the trip to Charlotte, I'm a whole lot more interested in the race today. Gotta mow the damn lawn first which sux but I saw this photo on the Web and it made me think,

What in the world must it be like to go way over two hundred in one of these? Only those guys and perhaps folks like Chuck Yeager and other test pilots will ever have a similar experience. F1 is awesome, for sure, but Indy, now that is something. Mind blowing to me.

BION, my uncle used to make tires for Indy at Goodyear, every season and I'm pretty sure he said they crayoned their names on each of them like the Shelby engine folks. He told me that the drivers can be pretty picky about their tire builders and I believe it.

indy-car_1900.jpg

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
HS, Cab! I don't think I've learned SO much from what article...EVER!

OBVIOUSLY, I've been living in a bubble and now have a whole lot more respect for both the F1 cars and especially the drivers. Heck, I thought Charlotte beat me up...what a joke compared to these folks! That video was incredible and now I'm gonna have to find one from Indy. :-)

Also..the differences in the cars were both amazing and almost unbelievable...fifteen THOUSAND RPM! WOW.

I started to grab quotes but I quickly realized there were TOO many. What a GREAT read my friend..many thanks.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Found a couple from Indy and to me at least, they are equally thrilling and frightening, Cab.

I think that what always gave me the cold chills about Indy was the proximity to the other cars. F1 certainly has that but not nearly as continuously as Indy..and they're at speed all the time.

I also didn't know about the "10 boost limit" button which I thought had to be some marketing genius' idea. <grinning> Perfect for more excitement for drivers and fans.

But being at what I perceive as redline for nearly five hundred miles continuously, minus the ridiculously quick pits, just boggles my mind. Honda and Chevy, didn't like reading that much.

I've done a few nutty things in my life and I'd probably get on a NASA or SpaceX rocket if they'd let me, but I know I don't have the cajones to do what either of these type racers do. Talk about the pinnacle of racing..man. (I do l like go carts though.) <chuckle>

So much info but these are the two clips I picked from the list:

Enjoy your Sunday, I'm off to the mowing chores.

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Agree, both take extreme skill and courage. Fortunate to have gotten to know Spa, Nürburgring, and Hochenheim a bit, which drew me into F1 in general and made fed my bias. Much respect for each though.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
I had another thought, Cab, (dangerous, I realize,) but it reminded me of a few flying experiences. Over the years, I had the pleasure of flying with a very few select individuals who shared a common trait.

The aircraft was nothing more than an extension of their arms and legs.

I'd wager Indy, F1, and all the other crazy, high-speed racers are like that.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I had another thought, Cab, (dangerous, I realize,) but it reminded me of a few flying experiences. Over the years, I had the pleasure of flying with a very few select individuals who shared a common trait.

The aircraft was nothing more than an extension of their arms and legs.

I'd wager Indy, F1, and all the other crazy, high-speed racers are like that.
I would bet the same, especially when you consider that almost all (if not all) started with cart racing in their single digit years. It's like walking for them--intuitive.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
If you want to get a thrill, try it yourself:
https://www.andrettiracing.com/
I did this at the Vegas oval a few years ago. It’s a “follow-me” system where you follow an instructor in another car. If you stay close, in his left mirror, he picks up the pace, lap-after-lap. I think my last lap average was like 168mph.
I remember peeking to the right on the last lap and thinking: “Wow, that wall is really close!”
The cars were a bit older, and the race engines had been replaced with small block Chevy’s with a 2 speed transmission. The experience was cool.

Last edited:

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
I guess I should have known someone like Mario would make it possible, Don...WOW and, you can book it a TMS, too. I just might have to look in that, dude...many thanks.

BTW, does anyone find it unusual that Penske is running the show at Indy? :-) All those painted stripes and rental trucks, huh? <bigger grin>
Sponsored