Toyo RR

nbjeeptj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I am thinking of trying a lower than 200TW tire for the first time and I like the price point of the Toyo RR. I have 19" x either 10" or 11" wide, wheels I can put these on. In 19's they only have 235, 295, or 345. So with the 295's the wheel range is 10-11", with the ideal being 10.5". Since I have either 10 or 11, and don't want to buy a new set of wheels, which ones would work better for the 295 semi slick.
Sponsored

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
Probably Iā€™d be looking at the 295ā€™s. And, rather than rely strictly on the 295 spec, Iā€™d suggest looking up the actual tread width. Then select the wheel which most closely matched tread width. Guessing it will be the 10ā€™s.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
The 295/30/19 RR are weirdly cheaper than any other size. That's what I use as well because they are so cheap. I run them on my 19x11 wheels with no issues.

Keep in mind that treadwear ratings mean nothing. The RR's are about on pace with a Supercar 3 (220tw) but they stay more consistent. If you're looking for a fast sub-200tw tire, maybe try the Supercar 3R or even the Yoko A052 "200tw" are faster than the RR's as well.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
The 295/30/19 RR are weirdly cheaper than any other size. That's what I use as well because they are so cheap. I run them on my 19x11 wheels with no issues.

Keep in mind that treadwear ratings mean nothing. The RR's are about on pace with a Supercar 3 (220tw) but they stay more consistent. If you're looking for a fast sub-200tw tire, maybe try the Supercar 3R or even the Yoko A052 "200tw" are faster than the RR's as well.
How do they wear so far compared to other 200TW tires that you had?

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
RR and NT01 are very similar tires, because they're both made by the same parent company. They wear like iron, usually good for 20-24 heat cycles, and plenty of people have said their best times come with threads showing. They're also consistent... consistently slow. If you're in something timed, I'd take a good look anywhere else.

That's rather different from something like a Yokohama A052 which is ... somewhat of a cheat tire, just like the Goodyear Supercar 3R is. They'll get up to temp and way out grip anything that isn't named A7, R7, or 3R, but unless you're lightened, they'll start to fall off after 3-5 laps, depending on how fast you're going and how hard the turns are, as tires heat up as they grip, and when it's too much they'll get "greasy". For me, I noticed them starting to fall around the 6-8th HC, and by 14-16, they were pretty much bald, sliding through every turn with the tiniest of throttle.

Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
How do they wear so far compared to other 200TW tires that you had?
I haven't tried many tires but compared to the Supercar 3 (non R) they are similar. I would say the Supercar 3 is slightly faster than the RR but in my experience, the Supercar 3 gets greasy after a few laps. The RR's stay consistent lap after lap, all day long. As for longevity or life of the tire, I haven't gotten there yet.

As @PaddyPrix stated, they're not fast but they're consistent, last a long time, and are dirt cheap. If you need seat time and practice more than anything else like me, I think they're one of the best options out there.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
RR and NT01 are very similar tires, because they're both made by the same parent company. They wear like iron, usually good for 20-24 heat cycles, and plenty of people have said their best times come with threads showing. They're also consistent... consistently slow. If you're in something timed, I'd take a good look anywhere else.

That's rather different from something like a Yokohama A052 which is ... somewhat of a cheat tire, just like the Goodyear Supercar 3R is. They'll get up to temp and way out grip anything that isn't named A7, R7, or 3R, but unless you're lightened, they'll start to fall off after 3-5 laps, depending on how fast you're going and how hard the turns are, as tires heat up as they grip, and when it's too much they'll get "greasy". For me, I noticed them starting to fall around the 6-8th HC, and by 14-16, they were pretty much bald, sliding through every turn with the tiniest of throttle.
AR-1s are in that list too?

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
At least per NASA's tire ranking, (which I think is rather fair - https://form.jotform.com/drivenasa/st-tt-car-classification-form), the AR-1 is a +1.6 tire that they have as equal to the RR, NT-01, Falken RT615, and Michelin 4S. I thought it was a pretty good tire, but haven't run it in a while, from my memory, I thought it got up to temp quick ready for the first lap, and could go 5-7 laps before it starts to fall off. I think it's probably bang/buck champ in that +1.6 group, at least for time trialing. I don't know if I'd want to run it for a 30+ minute race though.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
At least per NASA's tire ranking, (which I think is rather fair - https://form.jotform.com/drivenasa/st-tt-car-classification-form), the AR-1 is a +1.6 tire that they have as equal to the RR, NT-01, Falken RT615, and Michelin 4S. I thought it was a pretty good tire, but haven't run it in a while, from my memory, I thought it got up to temp quick ready for the first lap, and could go 5-7 laps before it starts to fall off. I think it's probably bang/buck champ in that +1.6 group, at least for time trialing. I don't know if I'd want to run it for a 30+ minute race though.
Now that you mention race, what tire was Jake running at nationals for ST? Or what tire do majority run in that class? Only tires Iā€™m familiar with are for TT/AutoX purposes.

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Now that you mention race, what tire was Jake running at nationals for ST? Or what tire do majority run in that class? Only tires Iā€™m familiar with are for TT/AutoX purposes.
I think it'd come down to the class and build. Majority I recall seeing go out were on various Michelin S8M, Pirelli DH slicks, which carry a pretty big penalty (-0.5 ST1/2), but for most of their ability to run a pretty consistent session without having to play too much into temp/tire management. Depending on car weight, time of day/year, track (high speed? curvy?) etc, the A7 and R7 are also good choices, but I'd think they'd require a little more thought about the course and temps on our heavybois.

In most cases, lighter is definitely better though, for instance Jake I think had close to a 2800 race weight, and that's reflected in his insane min speeds in turns. I was at 3590 (3605 with extra fuel), Ale and Frank were at 3750, so it could have been different with say, another 1/4 mile more of track somewhere for the power to come out and reel him in.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
AR-1s are a fast tire but they will wear fast as well so far I'm happy with mine but they need at least R12 or better brake pads. They are really overloading my brakes to a point where it's dangerous. But are fast tires. Almost all my time trial competition switched to them and all are now having brake problems.
Sponsored