Towing with brand new F-150

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; I have a problem to solve. Found a new 2023 F-150 with the features i want. Problem is the dealer is 150 or so miles away. I can drive to the place but cannot drive two vehicles home. Cannot find anyone to go with me so far.
Here is a thought I have. My car is a Nissan Sentra which is not too heavy. I can rent a towdolly. I could tow the Sentra back home with the new truck. I am not sure doing such a tow with a brand new truck is wise. Nothing will be broken in. Not the engine , nor the brakes, nor the transmission.

Any thoughts???
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Hello; I have a problem to solve. Found a new 2023 F-150 with the features i want. Problem is the dealer is 150 or so miles away. I can drive to the place but cannot drive two vehicles home. Cannot find anyone to go with me so far.
Here is a thought I have. My car is a Nissan Sentra which is not too heavy. I can rent a towdolly. I could tow the Sentra back home with the new truck. I am not sure doing such a tow with a brand new truck is wise. Nothing will be broken in. Not the engine , nor the brakes, nor the transmission.

Any thoughts???
Manual will say "don't tow for xxx miles" (on my truck it was 500, RAM1500), I think you'd be ok especially that this will be a light load but ultimately it's all about how anal you are about break in.
There are people here that will baby their Mustangs for 1000 miles and there are those that would do a burnout after picking it up.

Only thing I'd be conscious of are brakes but they don't need a whole lot of break in. Transmission will be fine.

I've towed Mustang on a 2000lb open trailer with F150 3.5 Ecoboost and once at speed, additional load is barely noticeable, it's the campers and enclosed trailers that will generate load due to frontal area.

Btw - another option is an Uber or dealer delivering the truck to you (or flying but 150 miles is little short of a route).

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Ask the dealer how much to deliver it or see if theyā€™ll come grab you. Iā€™ve had dealers meet me at the state line before to take delivery, and all kinds of accommodation's. The one caveat to this is how the negotiations were done. I will say the new F-150ā€™s are great trucks. 1/2 tons donā€™t work for me but the new ones are very capable/.

OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Manual will say "don't tow for xxx miles" (on my truck it was 500, RAM1500), I think you'd be ok especially that this will be a light load but ultimately it's all about how anal you are about break in.
There are people here that will baby their Mustangs for 1000 miles and there are those that would do a burnout after picking it up.

Only thing I'd be conscious of are brakes but they don't need a whole lot of break in. Transmission will be fine.

I've towed Mustang on a 2000lb open trailer with F150 3.5 Ecoboost and once at speed, additional load is barely noticeable, it's the campers and enclosed trailers that will generate load due to frontal area.

Btw - another option is an Uber or dealer delivering the truck to you (or flying but 150 miles is little short of a route).
Hello; Guess i am anal. I tend to go very close to the owners manual. You gave me an idea. I will stop by the local ford dealer and see if they will let me look at an F-150 manual.

Sponsored

OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Ask the dealer how much to deliver it or see if theyā€™ll come grab you. Iā€™ve had dealers meet me at the state line before to take delivery, and all kinds of accommodation's. The one caveat to this is how the negotiations were done. I will say the new F-150ā€™s are great trucks. 1/2 tons donā€™t work for me but the new ones are very capable/.
Hello; Most of the time I only tow a light 17 foot fishing boat. Rarely have a need to haul or tow anything heavy. The truck has 3:15 open rear differential.

OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
motorcycle.
Hello; I am a bit too old for a motorcycle. Been near 20 years since i had one. But the idea is good. Could put the bike in the pickup. a 150 mile ride when i haven't ridden in years would be interesting.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Hello; Guess i am anal. I tend to go very close to the owners manual. You gave me an idea. I will stop by the local ford dealer and see if they will let me look at an F-150 manual.
They're available on-line - I've looked real quick before responding yesterday but did not find anything related to break-in, haven't looked too deep. RAM has "do not tow for 500 miles".

FWIW I've had Mustang delivered from dealer in NC to my home, hired driver (by the dealer) brought it over. Additional charge but might be worth it if you don't want to tow.

Cux211

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
22 f250 6.7 platinum tremor
Just an opinion but Iā€™d figure something else out, if you were talking about a 250/350 truck Iā€™d say yeah go for it itā€™s a small fraction of the capacity and 3/4 and 1 ton trucks the brakes are twice the size of tinker toy half tons

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Over here, on such occasions, people travel by public transport (train, bus, cab).
A distance like this would take about 2 h by train and 3 h by bus.
Some food, something to read, license plates (registration is done at the hometown), and let's go.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Over here, on such occasions, people travel by public transport (train, bus, cab).
A distance like this would take about 2 h by train and 3 h by bus.
Some food, something to read, license plates (registration is done at the hometown), and let's go.
Hello; I like the idea but do not think there is such a service around me any more. The local bus terminal has been closed for decades. Have no idea what a cab would cost for 150 miles. Good idea tho.
I have decided against towing with a new pickup. I could not find direct Ford information, but did find a pickup forum where a fellow said his manual limited towing for 1000 miles.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Check with Uber and Lyft. 150 miles and back is barely a tank of gas.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
https://www.carpoolworld.com/carpool_Tennessee_USA_favorites.html
https://nashconnector.org/carpool/
I don't know how legit this websites are, but we also have something like organized hitchhiking, carpool for people who didn't know each other before without commercial intent.
It's probably called rideshare in the US.
Over here people are looking for passengers, for example to share fuel costs, not to drive alone, to meet new people, etc.
It's almost as organized as bus and train, with possibility of joining on a route, etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Check with Uber and Lyft. 150 miles and back is barely a tank of gas.
Hello; briefly tried to open and work the uber site. Had problems so stopped. My bad i guess.

Tinpot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 w 3rd pedal delete
Is one way rental an option ?
Sponsored