RAUSP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rudolf
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Hi all,
trying to solve a dilemma. A tow hook is mandatory at trackdays over here in Germany and also the law enforcement does not allow parts affecting pedestrian safety. All in all that means only a tow hook which can be removed is an option. Therefore the ZL1 tow hook is not possible and even with some modification I don't trust that long receiver arm to be stable enough for the car's weight.

I bought an OMP tow hook with 50mm ring diameter and a 12mm thread. That hook will be removable thru the grill right below the snake logo by a self retaining all-metal nut welded behind the receiver.

The receiver itself is finished. Now I'll need to find the right position to drill a hole thru one grill opening and to weld the nut on that receiver. I tested the all metal nuts and it will be self retaining many times, at least until I have to remove the tow hook e.g. by officer's demand.

Could have gone also with a modified ZL1 solution in the lower grill but this upward position is more convenient to mount and produces less bending force towards the crash bar mount.

What do you think?
(I guess I don't have to mention that I'll reduce >50% weight by cutting some edges off the receiver after everything turns out to work properly)

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-26 um 13.50.05.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-23 um 14.18.33.png

IMG_2503.jpeg

IMG_2554.jpeg
Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Not sure why you stated the ZL1 wasn’t removeable. The brackets stay in place both front and rear on my ZL1 setup and the tow hook itself isn’t on the car usually. I tested both front and rear and it’s plenty stout. I wouldn’t want to cut the grill opening where your proposing personally, but it should work fine there. I didn’t want to cut the rear bumper cover for rear mount but it is at least behind the license place. the ZL1 stuff is top notch, but you do pay for that.

OP
OP

RAUSP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rudolf
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I thought after watching their videos that it was not removable w/o removing the bumper. Happy to hear that it's different but anyways delivery to Europe is obviously a problem for them. How is the rear hook attached as there is not manual nor a video online.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I thought after watching their videos that it was not removable w/o removing the bumper. Happy to hear that it's different but anyways delivery to Europe is obviously a problem for them. How is the rear hook attached as there is not manual nor a video online.
I've had ZL1 tow hooks on both my GT350s in Europe. No problem at all. Not aware of a track that requires front and rear--I have front only. PM and I may be able to help.

Edit: Spa a couple weeks ago.
Spa.jpg
Spa-2.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yes, the zl1 can be removed (unscrewed) from its receptacle. Its not optimal, but i think drilling your grill is less optimal than what you are going to do.

BadHabit2Break

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
I couldn't find anything either. I did some googling and found a PDF with a drawing on how to do it.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350

Sponsored

Tony_the_Brit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)