Sponsored

Touch up paint

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Okay I have a few chips in my Ruby red gt and I'd really like to make them invisible. I've narrowed it down to either Dr color chip or touch up direct. If any fellow members have experience with these touch up paints please post up the results you had. Especially any Ruby red owners.
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I used the Motorcraft pen and it was a perfect match, this was on a white car though. Not super relevant but I figured I'd chime in

OP
OP

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
That pen is actually not available here according to the person I spoke with at the dealer. Because Ruby red is a 3 part paint the single pen doesn't match well.

gamecoc430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I have Ruby Red also, and have used Dr. Color Chip and the match is great. I've used Dr Color Chip on several other cars and have always received great results. Just follow their instructions exactly -- no matter how dumb it sounds. For example, do NOT put the paint directly into the actual chip. You dab it beside the chip and use a finger tip to smear it over and past the chip. Then use their solution to gently remove the excess paint. Works great when I do it that way, but sucks when I do it my way (and dab it directly into the chip) so I finally learned to just do it their way. With deep scratches/chips it may take several applications to build it up to surface level because you're only leaving a very small amount of paint each time. Color match is great for Ruby Red.

OP
OP

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I have Ruby Red also, and have used Dr. Color Chip and the match is great. I've used Dr Color Chip on several other cars and have always received great results. Just follow their instructions exactly -- no matter how dumb it sounds. For example, do NOT put the paint directly into the actual chip. You dab it beside the chip and use a finger tip to smear it over and past the chip. Then use their solution to gently remove the excess paint. Works great when I do it that way, but sucks when I do it my way (and dab it directly into the chip) so I finally learned to just do it their way. With deep scratches/chips it may take several applications to build it up to surface level because you're only leaving a very small amount of paint each time. Color match is great for Ruby Red.
Thank you, that's exactly the type of feedback I was hoping for.

Sponsored

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have used Touch Up Direct. Paint match is spot on. As long as you prep correctly and follow the directions with dry time, etc.. it comes out great.
I've actually used spray cans on parts.

OP
OP

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I have used Touch Up Direct. Paint match is spot on. As long as you prep correctly and follow the directions with dry time, etc.. it comes out great.
I've actually used spray cans on parts.
Thank you for your reply.
I like the fact that the kit they sell comes with all 3 coats not just a single close enough type of setup.
I would like to get a few more replies there has to be more than 2 or 3 members on here that touch up the paint on there Pony's.

Boostamoose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' GT
I use the Dr.colorchip kit, and I'm happy with the results. I spend about 20 minutes or so applying 3-4 coats before I am happy with how it looks, and I'm borderline OCD about it.

Now if you really wanted to go the way of invisible you'd need the tools to do so. I have done it, and the result is nearly invisible but not perfect.

Since you're dealing with a chip I like to mix the clear with the paint. You'll want to gently wet sand the area with some fine grit sandpaper around 2500 grit. This will remove the sharp edges surrounding the chip. Wipe the area clean with some isopropyl alcohol.
Starting adding coats of paint to the chip with small brushes, toothpicks, etc. You want to build a level of paint up higher than the original surface. Let it dry for about 24 hours because now the fun begins. You will begin by wet sanding with the 2500 grit again to bring it down, but you don't want to level it out yet.
Next you will compound / polish the surface to remove the sanding marks as well as level the paint you just added completely with the original surface.
I highly recommended a machine for this because it's difficult to apply an even pressure by hand. You have to be careful when doing this, but eventually you'll level out the chip area with the original paint. This is what will make it nearly invisible.

All in all you probably will have spent around 30+ hours between labor and dry times for that chip.

My advice is use Dr.Colochip. I used to want invisible chips, but after I realized time consuming it was, combined with how easily I get them in my state, I gave up on it.

Yes you will notice the chips; it's your car. Yes they will probably bother you because it's your baby, but I can guarantee you that 99% of the population, even other car guys, will never notice it. They're going to admire your mustang for what it is,a beautiful car, not the rock chip it has on the hood that is near invisible with dr.colorchip from 2 feet away.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
I use the Dr.colorchip kit, and I'm happy with the results. I spend about 20 minutes or so applying 3-4 coats before I am happy with how it looks, and I'm borderline OCD about it.

Now if you really wanted to go the way of invisible you'd need the tools to do so. I have done it, and the result is nearly invisible but not perfect.

Since you're dealing with a chip I like to mix the clear with the paint. You'll want to gently wet sand the area with some fine grit sandpaper around 2500 grit. This will remove the sharp edges surrounding the chip. Wipe the area clean with some isopropyl alcohol.
Starting adding coats of paint to the chip with small brushes, toothpicks, etc. You want to build a level of paint up higher than the original surface. Let it dry for about 24 hours because now the fun begins. You will begin by wet sanding with the 2500 grit again to bring it down, but you don't want to level it out yet.
Next you will compound / polish the surface to remove the sanding marks as well as level the paint you just added completely with the original surface.
I highly recommended a machine for this because it's difficult to apply an even pressure by hand. You have to be careful when doing this, but eventually you'll level out the chip area with the original paint. This is what will make it nearly invisible.

All in all you probably will have spent around 30+ hours between labor and dry times for that chip.

My advice is use Dr.Colochip. I used to want invisible chips, but after I realized time consuming it was, combined with how easily I get them in my state, I gave up on it.

Yes you will notice the chips; it's your car. Yes they will probably bother you because it's your baby, but I can guarantee you that 99% of the population, even other car guys, will never notice it. They're going to admire your mustang for what it is,a beautiful car, not the rock chip it has on the hood that is near invisible with dr.colorchip from 2 feet away.
Might I ask if Dr. Colorchip is better or more amateur friendly than "PaintScratch", if you or anyone else happen to have tried Paintscratch too?

Before I even got my car, I ordered two velocity blue pens from Paintscratch. After my first track day I got 3-4 stone chips on my car. I started working on one chip first, to see how the result would be, but it wasn't good at all. Fortunately I could wipe all my work off with isopropyl alcohol the next day, so it was like before I started. I tried again some days later, but while a little better, still not much good, so I wiped it off again.

I did not try to add a base coat, but only used the Paintscratch paint. 3-4 layers. Then clear coat. I end up with a rather visible, arguably colour matched, spot of paint where the chip is.

I'm going to make a third attempt soon, re-watching the Paintscratch videos and possibly adding a base coat first (bought a magnifying glass in the meantime, so I'm hoping I can see if the chip is down to the metal or not now). My car has in the meantime gotten a lot more stone chips and I need get it fixed before the number of stone chips grows to an unmanageable number,and the only choice left is a professional repaint.

Not sure if I will manage a better job with Dr. Colorchip or if the problem is wholly me, so if anyone has tried both Paintscratch and Dr. Colorchip, I would very much like to hear it.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Might I ask if Dr. Colorchip is better or more amateur friendly than "PaintScratch", if you or anyone else happen to have tried Paintscratch too?

Before I even got my car, I ordered two velocity blue pens from Paintscratch. After my first track day I got 3-4 stone chips on my car. I started working on one chip first, to see how the result would be, but it wasn't good at all. Fortunately I could wipe all my work off with isopropyl alcohol the next day, so it was like before I started. I tried again some days later, but while a little better, still not much good, so I wiped it off again.

I did not try to add a base coat, but only used the Paintscratch paint. 3-4 layers. Then clear coat. I end up with a rather visible, arguably colour matched, spot of paint where the chip is.

I'm going to make a third attempt soon, re-watching the Paintscratch videos and possibly adding a base coat first (bought a magnifying glass in the meantime, so I'm hoping I can see if the chip is down to the metal or not now). My car has in the meantime gotten a lot more stone chips and I need get it fixed before the number of stone chips grows to an unmanageable number,and the only choice left is a professional repaint.

Not sure if I will manage a better job with Dr. Colorchip or if the problem is wholly me, so if anyone has tried both Paintscratch and Dr. Colorchip, I would very much like to hear it.
Have used Dr. Colorchip for years. Never had an issue. A 5 year old could do it.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Just got this. Not cheap but the best i've ever used.

eafd9247-e41e-4eba-97cd-5790398ec3a0.jpg
EXECUTIVE CLUB MEMBERS
Effective immediately!! Now through the end of September ALL paint kits and accessories on SALE! The best brand and product at the lowest price!

No Coupon Code needed. Sales Prices reflected on Website.

Dr. ColorChip remains committed to the highest quality product combined with unparalleled customer service. Continuous improvement of our products and color offerings sets us apart from the competition. Our dedicated team with a combined 80 years of experience with Dr ColorChip works with you to ensure an excellent product and a Happy customer.

Offer ends midnight September 30th, 2020.
SHOP NOW
There is No Substitute!
5a20ffdc-d9f8-4d6d-83dc-23027cba5e98.jpg

5d9cd2fd-033b-4da0-80cd-983a39deb10f.jpg
de890393-373e-4db3-9e18-bc7582b6bc24.jpg
SQUIRT 'N SQUEEGEE PLUS KIT
Our Top Selling Squirt 'n Squeegee PLUS makes chip repair even easier than before!!
We include 2 different squeegees for every kind of chip repair and our pipette applicators to easily apply the paint.

Reg Price $69.85
Sale Price $49.94
BUY NOW
4a001f13-a8c9-47f7-9d00-654cbe449bf0.jpg
SQUIRT 'N SQUEEGEE KIT
Easily address 100's of chips with the flex clear squeegee! The paint bottle comes with a flip-top lid to dispense more paint than a brush.

Reg Price $64.95
Sale Price $48.95
BUY NOW
e1dbe0ff-9d5b-42e1-88b5-2506170cb30d.jpg

CHIPPING IN FOR CHARITY KIT
Dr. ColorChip is pleased to continue its charitable partnership with Knight Alzheimer's Disease Research Center and RettSyndrome.org. A percentage of the proceeds from the sale of this "Chipping in for Charity" kit is donated.

Reg Price $59.95
Sale Price $43.95
BUY NOW
6dea65ee-29a6-46c4-87fb-50aa686924a4.jpg

PREMIUM CAR CARE PACKAGE
Includes:
Dr. Colorchip Squirt-n-Squeegee Kit
Dr. ColorPrep Solution
Sonax NPT Liquid Wax
Sonax Polymer Quick Detailer
Solution Finish Trim Detailer
10-pack of Chemical resistant Gloves
10-pack of Microbrushes

Reg Price $152.69
Sale Price $113.95
BUY NOW
3d1d4c3d-dbf1-48b1-881b-7de6c982ce24.jpg

Deluxe CAR CARE PACKAGE
Includes:
Dr. Colorchip Standard Repair Kit (repairs 2 dozen chips)
Dr. ColorPrep Solution
Sonax NPT Liquid Wax
Solution Finish Trim Detailer
10-pack of Microbrushes

Reg Price $107.44
Sale Price $89.95
BUY NOW
EXECUTIVE CLUB MEMBERS
Effective immediately!! Now through the end of September ALL paint kits and accessories on SALE! The best brand and product at the lowest price!

Dr. ColorChip remains committed to the highest quality product combined with unparalleled customer service. Continuous improvement of our products and color offerings sets us apart from the competition. Our dedicated team with a combined 80 years of experience with Dr ColorChip works with you to ensure an excellent product and a Happy customer.

Offer ends midnight September 30th, 2020.
SHOP NOW
Copyright © 2018 DR COLORCHIP CORP., All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
1369 North Killian Drive, Suite 1, Lake Park, FL 33403
Telephone: (561)845-6122

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Just got this. Not cheap but the best i've ever used.

eafd9247-e41e-4eba-97cd-5790398ec3a0.jpg
EXECUTIVE CLUB MEMBERS

Thanks, just ordered it. From the videos it looks like application will be a lot easier than what I tried before.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Just ordered some Dr Color Chip via recommendations here.
Question...Does this repair last or is it something I’ll need to redo periodically?

Last edited:

gamecoc430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Mine has always lasted for years. I had a Z4 that I had to use a squeeze on (like shown above) and even that did a great job. Dr Colorchip does a great job on paint chips, harder to use on scratches, but even those are doable just takes longer. Just rub EASY when removing the excess.
Sponsored