Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
I got dr color chip and fix some of the chips but I still get more and more. I just gave up.
yeah gotta keep on top of it that's for sure. I've probably fixed 8 total chips now...but you need a damn torch to see them.
Sponsored

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
yeah gotta keep on top of it that's for sure. I've probably fixed 8 total chips now...but you need a damn torch to see them.
This is really good to know! Didn't realize it'd be THAT hard to find it, but I'm extremely glad to hear.

TampaBear67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool Blue 07 Accord EX-L 2.4, DOHC, iVTEC Coupe
Touch it up and invest in a 3-M Clear Bra to prevent this happening again. I'd do the whole front plus side mirrors.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Touch it up and invest in a 3-M Clear Bra to prevent this happening again. I'd do the whole front plus side mirrors.
Thanks for this recommendation. Never heard of this or seen this before (other than the black ones that look ugly on the cars). Where'd you get yours if I can ask that here?

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Thanks for this recommendation. Never heard of this or seen this before (other than the black ones that look ugly on the cars). Where'd you get yours if I can ask that here?
Detailers and tint shops do them. 3M, suntek, X-pel are a few brands.

They are not cheap by any means and can run you $750-1,000 easily to get the whole front and mirror caps done. And they need to be replaced every 5 years generally. Im personally anti-clear bra unless it's a super expensive car. To me it's like putting plastic on your sofa, it's meant to be used.

And say you get in a fender bender; that clear bra is gone and insurance won't cover replacing that piece. So there goes another $300-400 to re-bra the damaged panel (or god forbid the whole front again). It also can't be polished, so if the gets scratched good enough or pitted with a rock then you'll see it all the time, especially on a dark color car just like you can see every imperfection in the car clear coat dark colors show everything.

Cost/benefit to each person. 1 tiny chip to me isn't a reason to run out and drop $1k on clear bra. Dr. Colorchip will fix it up to where you need to look closely to find it for $60- and you'll have enough product to do chips for the life of the car.

Sponsored

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Looks like I'll be doing this myself. 58.9 miles on the clock, and I got a chip...

Pure Michigan.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I actually just ordered Dr colorchip yesterday. Heading to DefCon in Vegas this Thursday so I had to next day air it. Only way I'll be able to relax is to get this taken care of asap. Lol. I ordered the standard kit

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
I had my whole front, lights, lenses, hood, fenders, mirrors, pillars, and front roof done in suntek ppf. Problem solved.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Ok, so I've just used Dr Colorchip (and thanks for everyone's advise on this), and I've attached the results. From the picture, it makes the blend look a little better (probably because of focus), but it's really a bit darker than the paint surrounding it (and same paint color code as my car).

Did I miss something about it going to take a lot longer for the color to blend in or something, or is this going to be the final result? The attached pictures are about 45 minutes after I applied the third coat. While it looks much better than a white chip, it almost looks like this went from a white chip to a dark grey chip and perhaps I just had higher expectations.
DSC00003.jpg
DSC00005.jpg
DSC00007.jpg
DSC00008.jpg

Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
No. It's just a function of metallic paint. I had the same issue on my Vista Blue 2009 Mustang where the touchup spots were a bit darker. It's because the metallic paint has metal flake in it and the touchup isn't reflecting the light the same as the uniformly sprayed paint.

This is why I did not buy a metallic color this time and will attempt not to ever again.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Gotcha. Thanks for the feedback

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Guys, I had placed my order at the dealership on Monday, August 3rd, and I decided to just overnight a dr colorchip order, which came Wednesday, August 5th.

Since I had already paid for it at Ford, which was just $18, I figured I'd just wait for it since I could use it as backup later. However, I just called ford today (10 whole days later!!!!) and they said it still hasn't arrived yet.

Am I missing something here? Why can Dr Colorchip ship me my J7 Magnetic Metallic paint in approx 1 day, but it takes 2+ weeks for the paint to arrive at Ford?

Aren't they the same paint? I'm so confused.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
dr color chips paint is different. Drys fast, cures slow so you can level it with the seal-act. Regular touch up paint cures really fast.

Id just cancel the ford order.

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Can you polish or compound over Dr. Colorchip? Will that help level a bit more? I have an almost identical chip in my hood from my Indiana trip last month. I was expecting more from the Dr. Colorchip repair here too -- could it partly be the lighting?
Sponsored