Eduardo Perez
Vehicle(s)
2018 ford mustang GT
aright guys
o kind of maybe i did
went off the road ..
it was a rainy day thats all i can say
now no air bags were deployed BUT
i hit a ditch all the lower bumper was crushed along with all radiator suport, radiator was damaged rear bumper
hood was wasnt aligned any more
i could smell the coolant
passanger side was worse ..
now it just happend today so i dont know if its going to be a total loss but i hope it is so i can start off a brand new car i have New parts that i was going to install this next week. im not a big fan of beliveing 100% that is going to be as new..

what do you guys think ?
can a total loss deal be fought with the company or im screwed on what ever they decide
this is my first accident and hopefully my very last one
any input on what you guys have gone thru on insirance claims and how bad a car has to be to get it totaled
Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
So you wrecked the car. It sucks, but it happens.... thats why they call them accidents..........unless of course you were texting or drunk/high which led to the crash....anyhoo.....

In my experience (may be different with different insurers but doubtful) if the value to repair the car is not over a certain percentage its repaired. Only if the car is very close will there be any chance to have any input on the direction the insurance company goes. What you can have say so over is whether they use new parts or used replacement parts to put it back together unless you have signed an insurance agreement before hand agreeing to used replacement parts in case of a claim to help keep cost lower. If that car is totaled and you owe more on the car than the car is valued at when they total it out you better have gap insurance or you are going to have your bank seeking a lump sum payoff because the collateral on the loan is now worthless and on that they can call the note on the car. So if you don't have gap insurance and there is this chance its in your interest to get he car repaired and live with it. I've driven repaired cars and you would never knowwhen they are repaired correctly.

OP
OP
18GTmustang

18GTmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eduardo Perez
Vehicle(s)
2018 ford mustang GT
So you wrecked the car. It sucks, but it happens.... thats why they call them accidents..........unless of course you were texting or drunk/high which led to the crash....anyhoo.....

In my experience (may be different with different insurers but doubtful) if the value to repair the car is not over a certain percentage its repaired. Only if the car is very close will there be any chance to have any input on the direction the insurance company goes. What you can have say so over is whether they use new parts or used replacement parts to put it back together unless you have signed an insurance agreement before hand agreeing to used replacement parts in case of a claim to help keep cost lower. If that car is totaled and you owe more on the car than the car is valued at when they total it out you better have gap insurance or you are going to have your bank seeking a lump sum payoff because the collateral on the loan is now worthless and on that they can call the note on the car. So if you don't have gap insurance and there is this chance its in your interest to get he car repaired and live with it. I've driven repaired cars and you would never knowwhen they are repaired correctly.
no drinks involved.. i dont drink or use any type of illegal substances..
going back to the car
.. everything new oem is very expensive i opened the hood and the fans touched the engine.
I dont know if there any suspension problems in there since the hit was pretty bad..
also im taking it to the best shop i can find so labor is going to be pricey..
sadly i had just installed the mbrp cat back
so far mods were
aed e85 tune
and mbrp cat back
parts i have to install are steeda stop the hop along with diff bushings
.. but it is totaled i will be getting another pony

as for gap insirance i do have gap i always buy it with most of my vehicles
i got the car out the door for little less than 32k so i must be in negative but im notmto worry about that

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I'm no stranger to the cost to repair cars. So what if the fan is touching the engine? Doesn't mean there is any engine damage and suspension can be repaired. For that matter the whole front K member could be replaced with a new one simple enough. You won't know until you get the estimate. But as a general rule when you wreck a car the damage total has to be over a certain % value of the car's current value (not wrecked) before a total loss can be declared. The adjuster makes that call. You may be able to arbitrate it, but it will either decided ultimately by the insurer or in a court system if you wish to challenge the final decision. These things vary from state to state......so.... Want a legal opinion you need to speak to a lawyer or your insurer.

Your policy should give you all the details on what you are asking however. So I would encourage you to read that and then contact your insurer if you have further questions. When you get the estimate and you find you are not happy with it you may then arbitrate it or get legal assistance and challenge it in some legal format.

Glad you weren't seriously injured or impaired when it happened. Good luck.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
no drinks involved.. i dont drink or use any type of illegal substances..
going back to the car
.. everything new oem is very expensive i opened the hood and the fans touched the engine.
I dont know if there any suspension problems in there since the hit was pretty bad..
also im taking it to the best shop i can find so labor is going to be pricey..
sadly i had just installed the mbrp cat back
so far mods were
aed e85 tune
and mbrp cat back
parts i have to install are steeda stop the hop along with diff bushings
.. but it is totaled i will be getting another pony

as for gap insirance i do have gap i always buy it with most of my vehicles
i got the car out the door for little less than 32k so i must be in negative but im notmto worry about that
First off, please stop writing the way your are. At first I thought I was about to read a poem.

As for your problem, you probably won't have many options unless the insurance company provides you with options. If they do, one option will most likely cost you more. Either way your premiums will most likely go up unless your policy provides some forgiveness.

Glad you or no one else was hurt.

Sponsored

OP
OP
18GTmustang

18GTmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eduardo Perez
Vehicle(s)
2018 ford mustang GT
First off, please stop writing the way your are. At first I thought I was about to read a poem.

As for your problem, you probably won't have many options unless the insurance company provides you with options. If they do, one option will most likely cost you more. Either way your premiums will most likely go up unless your policy provides some forgiveness.

im on my phone maybe thats why the txt is like that.

Im using my phone so maybe that is the reason the txt is like that im not trying to make it up like that.Thanks for your input im aslo happy i was able to walk away without a scratch except a discomfort to my back but other than that im fine

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
im on my phone maybe thats why the txt is like that.

Im using my phone so maybe that is the reason the txt is like that im not trying to make it up like that.Thanks for your input im aslo happy i was able to walk away without a scratch except a discomfort to my back but other than that im fine
Worked fine this time.

OP
OP
18GTmustang

18GTmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eduardo Perez
Vehicle(s)
2018 ford mustang GT
little update on my car pretty much all bottom front end parts are getting replaced state farm quote was $10,000 ill stop by the shop sometime this week and take some pics so you guys can see the progress

Last edited:

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Sounds reasonable considering your description of the damage

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
I am glad you are getting it fixed vs total, total you are out of a car. imho this is better route unless you didn't want the mustang anymore. Man, this worries me. I am about to drive 1500miles across America in winter. I will be super careful in the mountains.

Sponsored
OP
OP
18GTmustang

18GTmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eduardo Perez
Vehicle(s)
2018 ford mustang GT
i actually wanted to get it totaled and start with a new car but it is what it is. The shop is giving me liftime warranty with their work. I am planning in keeping the car so the Lost value doesnt bother me that much. Now can someone help me out with this 2 questions Q1 one headlight is broken from the back but its usable, can i ask to keep it so i can sell it cheap ? Q2 if im the one at fault and only vehicle involved can i claim a diminished value on my car ? or how that works?

APproductions

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
i actually wanted to get it totaled and start with a new car but it is what it is. The shop is giving me liftime warranty with their work. I am planning in keeping the car so the Lost value doesnt bother me that much. Now can someone help me out with this 2 questions Q1 one headlight is broken from the back but its usable, can i ask to keep it so i can sell it cheap ? Q2 if im the one at fault and only vehicle involved can i claim a diminished value on my car ? or how that works?
Hey man, glad you're getting your car fixed. To answer your questions, typically the body shop throws away damaged parts during a repair, you can ask, perhaps they will let you keep the lamp. Technically the insurance company "owns" the parts they are replacing as there is a salvage provision in your policy that states the insurance company maintains the rights to salvage. However, most companies never take damaged parts from a repair so they usually end up in a dumpster.

For Q2, it depends on your state. In almost all states, you can't make a diminished value (DV) claims against your own policy. You would have to be not at fault and have a responsible third party to claim DV against. To my knowledge, Georgia is the only state that is an exception to this rule.

Hope this helps.

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Glad you are OK and the car is getting fixed. RWD, high performance cars and rain, wet roads do not mix well. The back end can become very skittish. Best to take it slow and easy- in any car but especially RWD.

I love my high performance cars but drive them slow and easy, very easy on the gas on the street. The reward is that I get to hear, feel and drive the car even though it is no where near it's potential. Also no speeding tickets, infractions or surcharges and great gas mileage. I have very nice 4 toys, including my Stang GT and people wonder how I can afford them. It's just being old (insurance discount)and cautious.

My only wish is that I could go to a track and test them out. My GT is too base but I'll bet my Fiesta ST would be a blast.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Q1 - The parts they replace should be yours at your request unless your policy states otherwise. I ALWAYS ask for the old parts back in a situation where it may be uneasy to verify parts replacement. Keeps the honest , honest. It's like putting a padlock on your locker. A thief will cut that off regardless, but left unlocked it may tempt those who would otherwise be condsered honest people. That said verify that with your insurer. Again they will provide you the answers you seek.
Sponsored