Took my GT350 to the dragstrip!!!

OP
OP

Burnin4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
That folks, is a driver mod. Excellent traps!
Thank you! It took me 3 passes to get her figured out, then she was consistent all day. I learned after the first pass that you can't shift over 8k without hitting the rev limiter, gotta shift at 8k on the nose. I still have a lot of room for improvement on the 60, but not sure the stock tires and suspension will handle much more power without spinning and wheel hoping.

I have a bunch of BMR parts on the way, toe rods, end links, cradle lockout kit, LCA bearing kit, and hardware upgrade. That should take care of the wheel hop, now I just need to find a better tire and wheel combo with some bias ply's or MT DR's.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Burnin4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Man it's great to see someone not "douche" it up at the strip lol. Nice skills and you suck cause our da is anywhere from 4-6k depending (west texas).
lol, I was definitely trying to do the GT350 some justice, really had no idea how she'd do, was just hoping to best my Boss 302 times because I knew she was a stronger car. I think I can get her into the 11's with better DA, should see some 0-500ft DA in Oct/Nov. I might install some longtubes, cold air, custom tune, and some wheels/tires, she'll go low 11's for sure. I've been 11.5's in my Boss and my 14GT with just exhaust, intake, tune, wheels/tires, so I know this 350 will do better.

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
lol, I was definitely trying to do the GT350 some justice, really had no idea how she'd do, was just hoping to best my Boss 302 times because I knew she was a stronger car. I think I can get her into the 11's with better DA, should see some 0-500ft DA in Oct/Nov. I might install some longtubes, cold air, custom tune, and some wheels/tires, she'll go low 11's for sure. I've been 11.5's in my Boss and my 14GT with just exhaust, intake, tune, wheels/tires, so I know this 350 will do better.
I'm rooting for you, it's doable. I believe someone did the 1/4 mi in 11.7s with basically a stock GT350, might have had different tires though, can't recall...

OP
OP

Burnin4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I'm rooting for you, it's doable. I believe someone did the 1/4 mi in 11.7s with basically a stock GT350, might have had different tires though, can't recall...
Yeah, some negative DA at a strip like Cecil, ATCO, or MIR on a set of drag wheels and tires she'll go deep into the 11's. I'll probably install a set of longtubes, cold air, tune, and some wheels/tires and see what happens, guessing 11.2-11.3's. I went 11.5's at 122 in my Boss 302 with full exhaust/cold air intake, tune, and a set of Welds, and I already know the GT350 is faster stock for stock.

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Yeah, some negative DA at a strip like Cecil, ATCO, or MIR on a set of drag wheels and tires she'll go deep into the 11's. I'll probably install a set of longtubes, cold air, tune, and some wheels/tires and see what happens, guessing 11.2-11.3's. I went 11.5's at 122 in my Boss 302 with full exhaust/cold air intake, tune, and a set of Welds, and I already know the GT350 is faster stock for stock.
Agreed that the GT350 is faster stock for stock than a Boss 302 but with all due respect the Boss had 82 less HP than the new GT350 which is ~19% less horsepower at the crank.

11.5's at 122 MPH is certainly impressive for mostly a stock Boss 302!

Did you ever employ the TracKey and if so did you notice any difference in acceleration?

There is no question that Ford underrated the HP rating on the Boss cars at least in my opinion and also based on chassis dyno pulls for stock Boss cars.

I have driven the new Mustang GT which is rated at 435 HP and the acceleration is not even close to a Boss 302 based on only a 9 HP difference.

With the 2012 Laguna Seca's coming with larger wheels/tires and much more stickier tires than your Boss 302 it would be interesting to see what times you may have pulled with an LS?

Having said that I guess the same could be said of the new R model with larger wheels/tires and stickier tires compared to a stock GT350.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Nice run! Can't wait to get my MGW in. Are you able to say why you got rid of the turbo car? I was always amazed at that thing

OP
OP

Burnin4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Agreed that the GT350 is faster stock for stock than a Boss 302 but with all due respect the Boss had 82 less HP than the new GT350 which is ~19% less horsepower at the crank.

11.5's at 122 MPH is certainly impressive for mostly a stock Boss 302!

Did you ever employ the TracKey and if so did you notice any difference in acceleration?

There is no question that Ford underrated the HP rating on the Boss cars at least in my opinion and also based on chassis dyno pulls for stock Boss cars.

I have driven the new Mustang GT which is rated at 435 HP and the acceleration is not even close to a Boss 302 based on only a 9 HP difference.

With the 2012 Laguna Seca's coming with larger wheels/tires and much more stickier tires than your Boss 302 it would be interesting to see what times you may have pulled with an LS?

Having said that I guess the same could be said of the new R model with larger wheels/tires and stickier tires compared to a stock GT350.

The Boss is 200+lbs lighter then a GT350, and doesnt have an IRS, which is much harder to launch at the strip. My Boss trapped 5 consecutive 117's compared to 7 consecutive 118's in my GT350, but in all fairness my Boss did have a magnaflow catback and the passes were made in slightly better DA/temps, which probably bought 1+mph. I'd say the true difference was a solid 2mph and .2 et between the 2 cars. It'll be interesting to see the differences once a full exhaust has been installed and tuned on my GT350. I'd also like to install a set of Welds on my 350 but I don't think they make them yet.

OP
OP

Burnin4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Nice run! Can't wait to get my MGW in. Are you able to say why you got rid of the turbo car? I was always amazed at that thing
I loved the car, thoroughly enjoyed it, but there were several reasons I moved on. It needed a cage, wasn't able to ever get traction, was always correcting the car and saving my @$$, even at 120+, felt like my days were numbered. I'm 6ft6", don't fit in cars with cages, didn't want to destroy the car and make it a dedicated strip toy. I was able to get good $ out of my 15, was able to use those funds for some property investments that I own. I also didn't love my Hellion kit once I went to Welds, clearance issues, the car was also hard on brakes, I always smelled like exhaust/e85, and I missed shifting gears and spirited driving. I'll definitely build another auto twin turbo car, but going to start with an 8-10pt custom cage, strip the car, go for 200mph.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
The Boss is 200+lbs lighter then a GT350, and doesnt have an IRS, which is much harder to launch at the strip. My Boss trapped 5 consecutive 117's compared to 7 consecutive 118's in my GT350, but in all fairness my Boss did have a magnaflow catback and the passes were made in slightly better DA/temps, which probably bought 1+mph. I'd say the true difference was a solid 2mph and .2 et between the 2 cars. It'll be interesting to see the differences once a full exhaust has been installed and tuned on my GT350. I'd also like to install a set of Welds on my 350 but I don't think they make them yet.
Certainly understand and realize the difference of launching a live axle car compared to an IRS Mustang as I have also had the experience of doing both as well.

When the Cobra's came out in the early 2000's I had a difficult time launching the Cobra's back then and had a lot of wheel hop compared to my 2001 S/C Sean Hyland Mustang at the time.

With respect to the +200 pound weight difference between a Boss 302 and the GT350 that is not my experience as I found the weight pretty much the same on both cars.

I recall weighing one of my first Boss 302 cars in early 2011 and the weight came in at the scales at pretty much around 3650# which is very close to the GT350 cars based on my understanding.

Good luck with the minor upgrades on the GT350 as I know that you will improve on your trap speed slightly and also your quarter mile times.

:cheers:

Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Certainly understand and realize the difference of launching a live axle car compared to an IRS Mustang as I have also had the experience of doing both as well.

When the Cobra's came out in the early 2000's I had a difficult time launching the Cobra's back then and had a lot of wheel hop compared to my 2001 S/C Sean Hyland Mustang at the time.

With respect to the +200 pound weight difference between a Boss 302 and the GT350 that is not my experience as I found the weight pretty much the same on both cars.

I recall weighing one of my first Boss 302 cars in early 2011 and the weight came in at the scales at pretty much around 3650# which is very close to the GT350 cars based on my understanding.

Good luck with the minor upgrades on the GT350 as I know that you will improve on your trap speed slightly and also your quarter mile times.

Just a point of clarity, the only GT350 that comes close to the 3650lbs curb weight would be an R model without the electronics package.

A non R GT350 with the electronics/convenience package is just a few lbs shy of 3800. R model with electronics is 3700-3710lbs.

Boss 302 models were around 3650-3660 as you mentioned, with the LS models being around 20-30lbs lighter.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Just a point of clarity, the only GT350 that comes close to the 3650lbs curb weight would be an R model without the electronics package.

A non R GT350 with the electronics/convenience package is just a few lbs shy of 3800. R model with electronics is 3700-3710lbs.

Boss 302 models were around 3650-3660 as you mentioned, with the LS models being around 20-30lbs lighter.

Yes, I was thinking of my base 920A R models being close to the weight of my Boss 302's so appreciate the clarification.

I had forgotten that the Electronics Package GT350's were close to 3800# and not around the weight of a Boss car.

When I weighed one of my Boss cars back in 2011 I can't remember if I weighed a regular Boss or a Laguna Seca but in any event I remember the scaled weight quite well.

OP
OP

Burnin4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I'm going to install a full AR exhaust, custom tune from Ken Bjonnes, and hopefully a set of wheels and tires, head back asap.

I also plan to put her on the scales later this week, curious of the exact weight difference between my GT350 and my 12 Boss 302 (3580lbs). I'll keep you guys posted!
Sponsored