Took car in for alignment, left with burned clutch

Geodudes550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
S550 2018 Mustang GT Premium
As the title says, I took my car into an allegedly reputable shop for an alignment on a new staggered wheel setup. During the test drive, the tech completely obliterated my clutch. Apparently rode the clutch pedal the entire way, hit redline a few times, dumped it while redlining. Less than a mile into the drive, thereā€™s smoke coming from the car visible on the dash cam footage. Car gets back to the shop where an unrelated tech who didnā€™t drive the car points out the smoke pouring from my engine bay. The tech who drove attributed the smoke to ā€œthe brakesā€, whatever that means.

During the drive home itā€™s obvious the clutch isnā€™t right. My once smooth long travel with a crisp bite point is now half the length of travel and the bite point is nearly gone. When it does engage, the entire car shudders and shakes, most prominently felt in the rear with a loud clunky noise. 1,2, and R are all nearly toast. I can engage in those gears but the car shakes and shimmies, clunks, and doesnā€™t sound good at all.

So Iā€™ve filed a complaint with the corporate office and the store manager says my issue is being forwarded to their insurance for review. I filed a claim with my car insurance as well but not much hope there. Iā€™ve got the Ford ESP with another 4 years and 60k miles left so Iā€™m crossing my fingers that when they get a chance to look at it (in two weeks) they wonā€™t bend me over the barrel.

Anybody else deal with something like this? Iā€™ll upload the dash cam videos when I get home for the curious. Needless to say, Iā€™m absolutely livid and seething over the situation.
Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Post the name of the shop - these assholes need to be outed

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
As the title says, I took my car into an allegedly reputable shop for an alignment on a new staggered wheel setup. During the test drive, the tech completely obliterated my clutch. Apparently rode the clutch pedal the entire way, hit redline a few times, dumped it while redlining. Less than a mile into the drive, thereā€™s smoke coming from the car visible on the dash cam footage. Car gets back to the shop where an unrelated tech who didnā€™t drive the car points out the smoke pouring from my engine bay. The tech who drove attributed the smoke to ā€œthe brakesā€, whatever that means.

During the drive home itā€™s obvious the clutch isnā€™t right. My once smooth long travel with a crisp bite point is now half the length of travel and the bite point is nearly gone. When it does engage, the entire car shudders and shakes, most prominently felt in the rear with a loud clunky noise. 1,2, and R are all nearly toast. I can engage in those gears but the car shakes and shimmies, clunks, and doesnā€™t sound good at all.

So Iā€™ve filed a complaint with the corporate office and the store manager says my issue is being forwarded to their insurance for review. I filed a claim with my car insurance as well but not much hope there. Iā€™ve got the Ford ESP with another 4 years and 60k miles left so Iā€™m crossing my fingers that when they get a chance to look at it (in two weeks) they wonā€™t bend me over the barrel.

Anybody else deal with something like this? Iā€™ll upload the dash cam videos when I get home for the curious. Needless to say, Iā€™m absolutely livid and seething over the situation.
Tell the manager that you wouldn't let his technicians work on your lawn mower, and you will send him the bill for the clutch/flywheel/slave cylinder replacement from your Local Ford Dealership.

Sponsored

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
A friend of mine had a shop wreck his car at night 50 miles from where it was supposed to be. He took it in for a window motor replacement.

If I remember correctly they ended up paying him the value of the car plus quite a bit extra. Pretty clear case of negligence since they had zero reason to drive the car.

I personally would go talk to a lawyer. Thatā€™s the only way these shops ever learn is the pocketbook. They will have to pay you for every hour you spend dealing with this problem if it is negligent behavior.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
With dash cam footage I think the op has them dead to rights. I would be telling the shop it will be on the 6 oā€™clock news if I donā€™t get immediate action and screw the waiting for corporate review. OP post up the videos.

Ask them to explain why the car needed a test drive for a wheel alignment thatā€™s bs.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Tell the manager that you wouldn't let his technicians work on your lawn mower, and you will send him the bill for the clutch/flywheel/slave cylinder replacement from your Local Ford Dealership.
Yeah. I would ask for money for a new clutch, plus labor at another shop for the install and another 100 smackaroos for the trouble caused.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Fuck....I have to get an alignment in the spring..
I would search hard and find a shop you can trust. It took me awhile but once I did, its great. Does good work, doesn't overcharge me and the guy is honest. He will align to my specs. Just going for "In the green" is not good enough.

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O
Ugh, sorry to hear this OP. Hope whatever route you take, it resolves the issue to your satisfaction.

Austin1992

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
If the shop wonā€™t let me pull it in and out they donā€™t get my business. Tire barn has been good to me. Sorry you have to deal with this.

OP
OP
Geodudes550

Geodudes550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Geodudes550

Geodudes550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
A friend of mine had a shop wreck his car at night 50 miles from where it was supposed to be. He took it in for a window motor replacement.

If I remember correctly they ended up paying him the value of the car plus quite a bit extra. Pretty clear case of negligence since they had zero reason to drive the car.

I personally would go talk to a lawyer. Thatā€™s the only way these shops ever learn is the pocketbook. They will have to pay you for every hour you spend dealing with this problem if it is negligent behavior.
Lawyer is my next step. I've got a new job that provides free legal assistance and represenation to employees for civil matters. It takes effect for me on Nov. 1. I've already spoken to them and I've been advised to document every single thing possible from now on and if it's not resolved by the 1st, they are happy to take my case.
Sponsored