Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
Groups,
I know that some will agree and others will say, drive the hell out of it, But.
So over time, I have had several Shelby's, Roush, Etc. Mustangs.
And I noticed that as the Cars got nicer, I drove them less for fear of someone crashing into it, scratches, etc., and they turned into Garage Queens.

When I had my 2013 Shelby GT500, I think I put 4,000 miles on it in a 4 year time period.
Traded it and got a 2017 Roush RS3, that is in my Avatar pic.
Have had it about 2 years, and 3,000 miles.
Garage Queens.
So tomorrow, I am selling the 2017 Roush.
I will miss this Car big time, but yet, a load off my mind worrying about the next time I drive it, will someone crash into it, etc.
I know that is what Insurance is for, but it would never be the same.
So my next Mustang will just be a Mustang GT, so that maybe I will feel better about driving it and not worrying so much.
And I can make it the way I want it.
This may hit home with a lot of people here.
Just my thoughts.
I guess I'm like you (because I'm older) and although it's my DD, I don't take it out much if it rains (I'll take my Honda instead) but also I don't go out as much as I used to, except to the gym, shopping, little errands, banking, etc. I got my GT (base) 6 months ago and only have 1700 miles on it. But I do punch it from time to time just for fun. I haven't run the 1/4 mile yet (don't want a ticket so have to find a nice stretch of freeway w/o cops; here they're so anal all they do is look for speeders, nothing else). I don't expect it to run low 12's like it is supposed to because the 235 tires just won't hold it. I won't invest in wider rims so I am planning on switching to 255s once these Pirelli's wear out (may have to do some burnouts by turning off TC to accelerate the process). Anyway, I don't even have a Rousch or Shelby and still am a little paranoid about people dinging it in a parking lot; not too worried about crashes; haven't had a close call yet.....
Sponsored

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
Had a '11 GT500 as a daily but only for like 3 months. Stressed me out because it was super nice and commanded attention I ended up not really wanting. Sold it for many reasons but mainly the range and it really wasn't a great DD. Same mentality as you're going for when I ordered my GT. Just a GT I thought...It's faster and feels nicer than the GT500. Just a GT... I absolutely love this car! It's a great DD! I love it so much I can't stress over the dings and chips because it is such a great vehicle to be driving. It's great in the rain and snow too as long as you have proper tires. My bro has a STI and loves the AWD with A/S tires in the snow. I feel like my mustang with snow tires does better. 2 years and 14.5k miles (travel a lot for work) and it's chipped from freeway driving and I've stopped stressing over it. Order it, buy it, enjoy it.
If you've got full coverage with a zero deductible on comprehensive, the w/s replacement is covered for free. It also doesn't increase your premium since it's not collision-related (at least with my insurance company that's the way it went).

MajHazrd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Package
I bought my 2015 GT PP in 2018 with 3k miles for half the price of new!
Thank you person that didnt drive it!!
It now has 36,000 miles and goes to track days regularly. Love driving it!

OP
OP
stanger1

stanger1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2013 Shelby GT500-Sold, 2017 Roush RS3
Last Thursday, I sold the Roush for a crazy high offer and already have a 2021 Yamaha R1 to take my mind off of the need for speed. 2 days with R1 and already close to broken in.
I ride more than drive.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Last Thursday, I sold the Roush for a crazy high offer and already have a 2021 Yamaha R1 to take my mind off of the need for speed. 2 days with R1 and already close to broken in.
I ride more than drive
Kind of figured that was the case. Internally, you probably see yourself as being more of a 'rider' than a 'driver', right?

Norm

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
I definitely understand where you're coming from. This is why we have several different cars to drive. The only reason I don't drive the Mustang every day is mainly because I don't want to neglect the other 3 vehicles that I have, and I want the Mustang to be a unique experience when I drive, not just a beater that guzzles gas but I will still drive this car to work or to get groceries, and I'll also ring it out on a road course. I just try to not put the car into situations where there is increased risk and I assume everyone around me hates the car and wants to run into it which makes me cautious of everyone in view.

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
I ride more than drive.
I have a 2016 FZ09 I bought with 0 miles in 2016, been riding since I was about 2 years old. It's nice to have high performance machines in both 2 wheels and 4. Hope you get another Stang soon.

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
When I was at at my suspension guys shop today my car was on the lift. This old guy walked up outside the bay. By old, I mean Stan Lee old (obv. b4 he kicked). The old dude said 'that car is too Purdy to drive fast.' Everybody in the shop looked at him I like he had 2 heads.

qtrracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP Recaros; 86 GT 'Vert Pro-touring
So my other car is an 86 Mustang GT Vert that I "finished" the build on in June 2020. Basically, it's a Pro-Touring custom. Tons of money in this thing. But it's a driver. I've only put about 750 miles on it but that is going to change. It was primarily built to run in SCCA CAM-T, Good Guys, Ultimate Street Car Association events and the Hot Rod Power Tour. After the first scratch, I'm not paranoid about it at all. Hagerty insures it for a ton of money and tells me to drive it and race it (not covered under the standard policy). So, that's what I'm going to do while enjoying every second.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
You could just buy me a new mustang and I will drive it and you can look at it any time you want.
Ferrari tried that scheme and, amazingly, managed to pull it off. They made a special edition car, which cost two million dollars, and, while you theoretically owned it, they wouldn't give it to you. They would bring it to a track, allow you to play with it, then take it back. :cwl: :crazy:
But the most amazing thing isn't this. The most amazing thing is that they actually found people who were willing to "buy" it.
I wish I knew those people. I can think of a lot of nice, expensive things I could sell them. :cwl:

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Ferrari tried that scheme and, amazingly, managed to pull it off. They made a special edition car, which cost two million dollars, and, while you theoretically owned it, they wouldn't give it to you. They would bring it to a track, allow you to play with it, then take it back. :cwl: :crazy:
But the most amazing thing isn't this. The most amazing thing is that they actually found people who were willing to "buy" it.
I wish I knew those people. I can think of a lot of nice, expensive things I could sell them. :cwl:
From what I've heard the cost to maintain a hyper car, that actually sounds like a great deal. Based off a podcast and the example car of a McLaren F1, the cost to keep one of these cars in your garage for year is 1/4 to 1/3 of the cost of the car. Tires expire over time, like 6 months no matter if it's been driven or not. With the F1, you have to have it shipped to Europe for an oil change. It's super crazy! So if 2 million is all you're paying to have a track toy that Ferrari maybe maintains, good deal. If you still foot the bill to maintain while they hold it, insanity.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I don't know about maintenance costs, you may have a point there, but the very idea that you pay two million for something you don't actually own seems insane to me in and of itself. I'd love to sell those people the Golden Gate. They can't take it home, but it will be officially theirs, and they'll be able to cross it any time they want. 😁

OP
OP
stanger1

stanger1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2013 Shelby GT500-Sold, 2017 Roush RS3
Kind of figured that was the case. Internally, you probably see yourself as being more of a 'rider' than a 'driver', right?

Norm
Yes Sir,
I do ride more than drive.
Raced Motocross for 25 years, worked my way up to local Pro class. Extremely fun times and kept me out of trouble.
Street bikes are awesome too, just have to ride like your invisible.