Sponsored

Too much HP?

ghig302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss
Without all wheel drive, can these cars really put down 600 plus HP? Or, is it all for show? Seems like all you can do is tap the gas pedal until you are in 5th gear, or just spin the tires.

Dave
Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
That's why there are sticky, low mileage tires available...traction.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Yes, you do reach a point of diminishing returns on street tires. Hence why your seeing the exotics working hard on weight reduction and hovering between 600 to 700ish HP.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think for a lot of owners it is all show. On the street it should almost never be opened up fully.

I know I personally would have trouble using 700 hp in a RWD front engine car. It for sure would take some getting used to coming off tight corners and getting back into the gas. Even in my GT350 I often prefer to be away from the torque peak in that situation. But the straight line guys can definitely use it and talented/experienced road course guys as well.

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
It's very easy to break the tires loose without meaning to do so, and it's soooo easy to be up in triple digits before you realize it. The latter is the main reason I traded my '14 GT500. I was regularly putting myself into "go directly to jail" territory with that car just driving to and from work.

Ford did a good job of mitigating the excessive torque in the '13/'14 GT500 with taller gearing and (IIRC) a 3.31 rear end. It was easier to put the power to the ground with them than it was the '09 or the '11 I'd owned previously. You still had to know what you were doing though.

Sponsored

SVTSNAKE351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
It's very easy to break the tires loose without meaning to do so, and it's soooo easy to be up in triple digits before you realize it. The latter is the main reason I traded my '14 GT500. I was regularly putting myself into "go directly to jail" territory with that car just driving to and from work.

Ford did a good job of mitigating the excessive torque in the '13/'14 GT500 with taller gearing and (IIRC) a 3.31 rear end. It was easier to put the power to the ground with them than it was the '09 or the '11 I'd owned previously. You still had to know what you were doing though.
So basically the 2014 GT500 was just too much for you huh.:lol:
I've done 185 in mine, and luv it.:ford:

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Ferrari didn’t think 789 hp was too much. In fact, they’ve managed a 2.8 0-60.

That’s the rwd/front engine record as far as I know.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Lol, not a fair comparison.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Lol, not a fair comparison.
Not competitors sure, however the tire contact patch, the coupe body, front engine and rear drive all directly compare.

The biggest difference is linear delivery (NA vs FI). Ford will likely engage a boost by gear type system as well.

The 500 shouldn’t have boatloads more torque however, maybe 100-125 max.

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
I think for a lot of owners it is all show. On the street it should almost never be opened up fully.

I know I personally would have trouble using 700 hp in a RWD front engine car. It for sure would take some getting used to coming off tight corners and getting back into the gas. Even in my GT350 I often prefer to be away from the torque peak in that situation. But the straight line guys can definitely use it and talented/experienced road course guys as well.
In a older thread, I raised the question of “ What does a sane person do on the street with 700-800 horsepower”...or some similar wording.

However, with that being said, I did convinced myself that a wanted, not needed the new GT500.

But considering the way I drive the ‘16 GT...just easy cruising around the congested North Metro ATL suburbs, caused me to have an epiphany of sorts:

There is no way I would ever use/apply this 700+ horsepower beast in a street setting to a level that is anywhere near it’s full performance potential/capabilities.

As much as it pains me to admit it, I am the wrong customer for this car.

Sponsored

brpec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4WD

you are correct on rwd, but that car is a Front mid-engine GT.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Not competitors sure, however the tire contact patch, the coupe body, front engine and rear drive all directly compare.

The biggest difference is linear delivery (NA vs FI). Ford will likely engage a boost by gear type system as well.

The 500 shouldn’t have boatloads more torque however, maybe 100-125 max.
Should be comparable from a performance standpoint, their hp to weight is similar as well. I’m really interested to see how they engineer the DCT with engine and hopefully can perfect a Drag/Launch control system. There’s some advantages over your run of the mill TQ based auto.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
you are correct on rwd, but that car is a Front mid-engine GT.
So the V12 sits 5” further back than the modular coyote.

It’s still apples to apples in terms of applying power to the pavement for our scenario which is primarily straight line, 0-60 type sprints.

To nitpick, it also has a transaxle such as the corvette. We can use the corvette ZR1 as our benchmark in rear drive traction too.

Last edited:

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
My car is at 700-800whp on MPSS street tires. Once in 2nd or 3rd I can go WOT. You have to be careful and easy on the throttle, but you can certainly use all of that power even on the street.

I laugh when people think anything over x amount of hp is useless. In 1st gear and most of 2nd yes it is, but from there on it's all fun. Boosted RWD is great for roll racing. If you want the best accel off the line and good 0-60 times then AWD would be the better route IMO.