Toe out after lowering and Steeda control arm install

Danmg202

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt- 401a - PP1
I was planning on driving the car to the alignment shop after lowering with bmr sport springs and doing the steeda front control arms. Unfortunately the toe out on both wheels is so severe the car can't be driven safely.

I've got a bump steer kit, would installing that and sucking in a little extra on each side be enough to get me to the shop or am I better off removing the arms? I'm used to a little more camber on a lower but I've never seen the toe like this.
Sponsored

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Yeaa I’m in the same boat as you. Did the same over the weekend but I did everything front control arm with bearings, Bumpsteer kit, and the extended stud lateral arm. Let’s just say the next time I drive the car will be to get an alignment(hopefully at the end of the week).

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a bump steer kit, would installing that and sucking in a little extra on each side be enough to get me to the shop
You'll want to install the kit anyway, but there is enough adjustment in the steering tie rods to bring the toe to zero. I eyeballed it after installing the control arms and got it aligned the next day. It is normal that you'll have a significant amount of toe out as a result of the arms.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I was pretty surprised on the amount of toe-out too, even with the bumpsteer kit installed. Originally I had more of the bumpsteer "stack" closest to the bottom retaining nut, so I lifted the car back up and set the bumpsteer kit "stacks" to this:

full.jpg

Not only is the steering rack now parallel with the arm, but with only a very minor eyeball alignment I was able to get positive toe (albeit too much) of .20 front right/.16 on the front left. I think the key is in the washer stacks. Not much is needed to get things close enough until an alignment shop handles the rest.

full.jpg

OP
OP
Danmg202

Danmg202

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the response guys! I'll install the bump steer kit tomorrow and see about pulling the toe back in with it, figured it would be a good idea to ask before making a new problem for myself.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Danmg202

Danmg202

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Had to pull the bump steer kit in pretty far and one was still slightly toe out but I was able to safely make it to the shop. Just really wasn't expecting the arms to throw things off so far, glad to know it wasn't just me. Thanks guys!

H1shawn1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT TY
Really happy to have found this thread, I just finished my total suspension install and was bummed to see both front wheels pointed out. Taking a day off and gonna get the bump steers aligned better.

H1shawn1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT TY
Adjusted the driver side by eyeball, anyone else surprised by how much the bumpsteers need to come in to correct the toe out. It really is pain, why didn't Steeda warn me of this.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Adjusted the driver side by eyeball, anyone else surprised by how much the bumpsteers need to come in to correct the toe out. It really is pain, why didn't Steeda warn me of this.
It's kinda just part of what happens when you do geometry revision. The reason for this is that the arms are the same as stock, but with the different ball joint. This change narrows the track width and actually moves the wheel backwards (shortening the wheelbase) just a tiny amount. That track width change causes the need for such significant toe correction.
Sponsored