Sponsored

TIP: OPG/CS install

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if this has been shown before but I see that most people have been using the electrical tape method when doing up that ultra-painful pick-up bolt.
This worked MUCH better for me.
Yes, I’m missing skin off the left finger. You’ll know why when you do the bolt :D
873FE450-E9F6-41E8-BEE0-8B767382D440.jpeg
Sponsored

jabrax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 ruby red PP GT
Ha, looks like you used the two finger method :) .... I was able to get the bolt almost all the way in using the tips of my two pointer fingers. I could see the left finger getting a little scratched up depending on how big your fingers.

Neat idea you have with the stiff wire. Also saw a post of a guys wife using regular wire to get it started

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ha, looks like you used the two finger method :) .... I was able to get the bolt almost all the way in using the tips of my two pointer fingers. I could see the left finger getting a little scratched up depending on how big your fingers.

Neat idea you have with the stiff wire. Also saw a post of a guys wife using regular wire to get it started
I couldn’t even get two fingers in there...(I’m talking about the pump bolt, not the other thing :ninja:)

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Just did mine this weekend and I made a bolt holder out of a thin piece of metal. I think it was like a radio removal tool. Got the idea from a guy who used a starter shim. Drill the hole big enough to clear the bolt head, but not the washer. Very similar to the wire used above. I was scared of the pickup bolts reading everyone's posts, but it wasn't bad at all really. Plenty of other steps that are more of a pita imo.

shawn3210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 PP Triple yellow
man I really don't want to do this but haven't found a shop that can do it for a decent price. Need to find a how to video or guide lol.

Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
SVT has a great write up for everything up to the timing chain, then find the timing chain procedure for 15-17 on here. I can see why shops charge quite a bit. I'm a former ASE tech, and have all the tools you could need, and taking my time being very diligent will prob take me 12 hrs total.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I have a scar on my finger from doing 3 OPGs :cwl:

The wire is a good idea. I have had good luck with the electrical tape trick but I have needed to use a pick before to get out remaining pieces of tape wrapped around the bolt that got stuck when I pulled it off.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Highly recomend the MAF balancer install tool from @beefcake, or direct. Works beautifully to make sure the balancer is fully seated. Using the "install bolt" is a terrible idea and begging for damaged threads/ improperly seated balancer. It works so beautifully you don't even spin the engine over when seating it until its fully seated.
Sponsored