TIG Welder Advice

Chadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
'96 Mustang GT, '73 El Camino, '12 Mazdaspeed3
No experience with that one. Do you have a welder currently? If your looking for a quality-budget conscious welder I’d recommend those green ones from Harbor Freight. “Titanium” they call them I think. I bought a little one to supplement my Miller BlueStar and I use it all the time. Zero issues after 4 years…

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
Which way you go depends on what materials you plan on using it for.. steel & stainless only.. DC Tig. If you plan on using it for aluminum you will need an AC/DC machine. Your budget will also play into that. There are a few AC/DC machines some cost more then others depending on the features you would like to have.

Dependability also comes into play.

A good “All Around Machine”. Lincoln Squarewave Tig 200. It’s AC/DC with pulse and high freq.

Roughly $1,600.

10 years ago or so, you couldn’t touch a decent AC/DC machine for under $5k.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Along the lines of Rich's post....what do you need to use it for the majority of the time?

Sponsored

OP
OP
CJJon

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Along the lines of Rich's post....what do you need to use it for the majority of the time?
Aluminum mostly, some stainless. I ended getting the one I linked to. Been picking up bits and bobs for it while I wait for it to ship.

I don't currently have a welder, this will be it.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know your level of experience but if you don't already have one you may want to look into a tungsten grinder.

OP
OP
CJJon

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
I don't know your level of experience but if you don't already have one you may want to look into a tungsten grinder.
I was just gonna use a bench grinder, but the more I think of it, the more I am leaning toward a dedicated sharpener.

I can stick weld and have done a bit of Oxy/Acetylene, but new to TIG.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trust me, pick up a dedicated tungsten grinder.

You didn't mention MIG experience. Easier than TIG and maybe more versatile for general projects. I probably split 50/50 between the two. A bit easier when out of position too. And kudos to you, I gave up stick once I bought my first MIG machine some 25 years ago. Probably never stick weld again...

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
There are plenty of tungsten grinders on Amazon. Relatively inexpensive. I would also go with a gas lens setup and 2% lanthanated tungsten. 3/32. This works for steel, stainless and aluminum and it keeps your consumables to a minimum.
Sponsored