Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Actually there are a good amount of fully automated gauging and QC processes in these plants. And if you've worked in high volume manufacturing you'd understand that not every part gets a QC check. I'm sure they performed a machine/process capability on the paint processes and equipment. From that they would come up with a QC frequency, and they would thoroughly check every 50th or 100th car. They may attempt to visually inspect every Mustang for imperfections, however they are unable to view every inch of every car.

I don't have a lot of experience in the assembly areas of these plants but I have been a manufacturing engineer purchasing gauging and equipment for the last 8 years at an OEM. I work in aluminum machining.

The UAW has good and bad employees just like everywhere else. I think its tough to point the finger at them without considering the equipment and processes. Even with modern CNC machines and tech its possible to get an intermittent part out of tolerance.

In the industry I'm in, QC is seperate and non-union. Most of our issues stem from attempts at reducing costs of the product and packaging. Ford is no different, using the same amount of paint on the 350 as the base mustangs with more surface area to cover. It's evident if you look, the bumper gaps are another obvious cost saving, corner cutting measure. He's anit-union, that's evident.
Sponsored

Last edited:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Jesus. Arguing about guesses? We don't know what it is, period. Only information is that the motor failed and there's metal in the system. It could be plenty of things, trust me. oil pump gear, bearings, galled cam journal...anything. Any of those plus many other possible scenarios could cause a chain reaction that ends up in a grenaded motor....and I doubt any of us could tell what caused what even if we did pull it apart.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
Jesus. Arguing about guesses? We don't know what it is, period. Only information is that the motor failed and there's metal in the system. It could be plenty of things, trust me. oil pump gear, bearings, galled cam journal...anything. Any of those plus many other possible scenarios could cause a chain reaction that ends up in a grenaded motor....and I doubt any of us could tell what caused what even if we did pull it apart.
Totally agree. Think about what would have to happen to diag a bad main. Engine/ trans lowered out of car. Engine separated from trans. Engine placed on engine stand, rotated upside down and pan removed. No tech I know would do this labor just because. :ford:

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Totally agree. Think about what would have to happen to diag a bad main. Engine/ trans lowered out of car. Engine separated from trans. Engine placed on engine stand, rotated upside down and pan removed. No tech I know would do this labor just because. :ford:
You forget, it's because some uneducated, incompetent , union thug buit it. Clearly it never would have failed if it were assembled by a skilled engine builder.

extrachrispy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Ruby Red w/black OTT, conv. pkg.
Given it has been 2 weeks for diagnosis, and it took the dealer a month to simply repaint a poor paint job on the front fascia, I am not optimistic on downtime...I called them and made sure the hood repair would run CONCURRENT to the engine matter...I don't want them to wait for the engine swap, and then add another month for the hood work (new hood/paint/vinyl/clear bra).
Are you able to share the name of the dealer? If not openly, at least by PM?

Thanks,

Sponsored

extrachrispy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Ruby Red w/black OTT, conv. pkg.
I put my emblazoned logo on a product, I own the product. Underneath the "Hand - Built with PRIDE UAW" placard I see no disclaimer stating "unless shit goes sideways." You want to own it, then you own it. Shitty labor is a very real thing.

My word
It would be interesting to see if a particular builder or pair of builders had a higher failure rate than others.

I don't doubt for one second that Ford knows the answer to that. This is, after all, their flagship Mustang.

Thrownaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350R
Barely flogged her. On COTA, 2nd session out in the rain, feeling like a ***** because it is slippery and I don't know the track. Hear something fucking up in the engine, looked at gauges and oil temp was stable, but ZERO oil pressure. Turned off safely at the wide run off of T18?

Towed off track by a COTA tow service that proceeded to drop a tow bar (hovers over the front of vehicle/chains to undercarriage) right on my fucking hood (insult to injury). Now COTA is being completely unresponsive on my requests to get compensation..Wasn't a good weekend.

Anyway, diagnosis: thrown main bearing
treatment plan: long block

Were you in a high g turn when it failed?
Sponsored