• Total voters

Jbenne517

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT 500
OP.... I just like others made this decision as well. Had 2020 350 and sold it for the 2021 500 with similar specs as you are looking at. I would be a fool to say that I didnt miss the 350 as it was so much fun to drive buuuuut the 500 has been a blast as well. Just as others have said, they are two different cars. 6 speed and that sound is fun but so is the additional HP. You will not go wrong either way. As far as back seats.... There was nothing more fun than seeing my 5yrs excitement when riding in the 500. Best of luck!
Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
R. Keep it and get a daily ride. You will thank me in 10 years.:crackup:

I have no rear seat in my car. I pope my sons car seat in the front, good to go. He still loves it, I enjoy taking him out, all good. I can't imagine stuffing even a kid in the Mustang back seat.

Dig-It

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
GT500KR (0758), GT500 (N2617), GT500 (N3432)
I couldnā€™t let my R go.

Good luck OP! Let us know how it turned out.

Calif-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Twister Orange (1 of 480)
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't have an R but did have a 2019 GT350. Really liked the car but felt it was underpowered, anywhere in the rpm band below 6500. Balance, looks, and exhaust note helped make up for this feeling but it still bothered me. I was driving a car which looked incredibly fast but was essentially slow by todays standards. Considered modifying to fix the under-powered issue but with the number engine failures I was afraid to do so. Enter the 2020 GT500 which in my opinion is a drastic improvement over my 350.
@newmoon sums it up pretty well here. I went from a 2013 Boss 302 to the GT500 with HP. Was dead set on getting a GT350. Drove 2 local cars, 1 base and 1 R. My Boss felt like it had more down low power than the GT350. Don't get me wrong the GT350/R is an AMAZING track scalpel meant to be driven at the peak of the RPM range and you'd be hard pressed to find a better handling Track Car at any price.

While the GT350/R is a Scalpel the GT500 is a Sledge Hammer. Unlimited power and torque from idle to redline. Arguably too much power for street use, but man does it put a smile on my face whenever I press the "Go Pedal". It handles non-track duty just as well and better than my mere mortal abilities to push her.

I test drove my GT500 during Covid so I got to take it out alone, and I knew it was for me in the first 1/4 mile of the drive! lol

I will admit I do miss the 6spd manual but I'm getting more and more comfortable driving my GT500 in Manual mode with lightening fast rev matching shifts.

For those that speculate (and speculation is all it is) on future value, who knows. I personally don't think any of these GT350/R/500 cars will truly appreciate anything significantly once we clear the supply chain issues driving costs up now. Maybe the 2020 GT350R Heritage Edition might be the only exception.

OP you mentioned "Lifestyle" with your kids and I think you already know the answer. Get it and enjoy the time with the family!

Last edited:

TMC GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 GT500, ā€˜18 Jeep GC Trackhawk
In essence I already made the decision for the GT500 based on my needs (which seem similar). I wanted 4 seats for the kids and something that can change character easily (comfortable cruiser or sporty track vehicle). The GT350R was always a car I wanted (how could you not want one?!). But I have been somewhat spoiled in the power department having owned 5 cars that came from the factory with over 550hp. To me the GT500's two compromises are the DCT instead of a manual... and the weight. But a lightning quick DCT that is intuitive quickly makes you forget that and provides a different way to enjoy and exploit the performance. I am going to try and address some of the weight issues but the car just seems to handle like a much lighter vehicle (maybe because some of my other vehicles are porkers as well). Either way, you really can't make a wrong decision... both are great choices!

Sponsored

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
@newmoon sums it up pretty well here. I went from a 2013 Boss 302 to the GT500 with HP. Was dead set on getting a GT350. Drove 2 local cars, 1 base and 1 R. My Boss felt like it had more down low power than the GT350. Don't get me wrong the GT350/R is an AMAZING track scalpel meant to be driven at the peak of the RPM range and you'd be hard pressed to find a better handling Track Car at any price.

While the GT350/R is a Scalpel the GT500 is a Sledge Hammer. Unlimited power and torque from idle to redline. Arguably too much power for street use, but man does it put a smile on my face whenever I press the "Go Pedal". It handles non-track duty just as well and better than my mere mortal abilities to push her.

I test drove my GT500 during Covid so I got to take it out alone, and I knew it was for me in the first 1/4 mile of the drive! lol

I will admit I do miss the 6spd manual but I'm getting more and more comfortable driving my GT500 in Manual mode with lightening fast rev matching shifts.

For those that speculate (and speculation is all it is) on future value, who knows. I personally don't think any of these GT350/R/500 cars will truly appreciate anything significantly once we clear the supply chain issues driving costs up now. Maybe the 2020 GT350R Heritage Edition might be the only exception.

OP you mentioned "Lifestyle" with your kids and I think you already know the answer. Get it and enjoy the time with the family!
Funny you mention the Boss. I had a 13 Boss which I traded for the 350. Boss absolutely felt faster on the street, and was alot of fun. I do miss the Boss but don't miss the 350.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
Hey all,

Been in talks with a dealer on trading my 2020 GT350R for a 2021 GT500 w/HP.

Here are the specs for both:

- 2020 GT350R
Shadow Black
Black/Red Vinyl
5,400 miles
Tech Pack
Standard Dash
Car cover
Original owner, all original items included

- 2021 GT500 w/HP
Antimatter Blue
Painted Black Stripes, Black Roof
New, 11 miles
Tech Pack
Recaros
Carbon Fiber Dash
Car Cover

Got an offer of $78k on my R, unseen and the 500 is stickered at $92.5k. It has a ~7k adm but they are willing to come down to ~5k adm at $98K. Dealer is 500 miles away but delivery of the 500 is included and taking the R as they drop off the 500. Also get a nice tax break. Been searching for a GT500 specifically in Antimatter Blue, I think its a unique color. Not crazy about the $10K POTS, especially with it having a black roof. Would prefer vinyl(cheaper) but I do prefer black stripes vs white stripes. I like the "ghost" look of the black stripes on Antimatter Blue.

Never tracked the R (shame I know), but just havenā€™t had the opportunity/time to do it. The R has PPF/ceramic coating but it has a few paint chips under it due to having to wait to install the PPF at 2k miles, still has original tires. I love the car but honestly it is an inconvenience for my lifestyle. I canā€™t take my kids in it or do anything that involves +1 person. I worry of damaging/curbing the wheels. Having to a find a dealer/shop with a machine specific for changing the tires on the carbon wheels is also not fun. Yes I could buy another set of wheels but I'd prefer to drive it how it came from the factory.

The 500 seems to better fit my needs, nice cruiser, power on demand, tires are road more streetable, plus back seats so my kids can actually ride in it. Unfortunately I can only afford 1, not both. For the reasons above, the CFTP GT500 is out of the question. Told the dealer I'd let them know tomorrow (3/10) since I'm debating on the $20k delta.

What do you guys think? Fair deal? Keep the R? Sell it? Anyone here switch from a 350/R to a 500, if so, thoughts?

Edit: Meant to post this in the GT500 forum, anyone know how to change it?
I love dilemmas like this. "Which awesome should I get!?" GT350R for rareness, long term collectible value appreciation. GT500 w/painted stripes for white knuckle ride, bad ass power, top of the food chain performance. Hmmmm. C'mon, only you know the answer.

OP
OP
RJ787

RJ787

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R [LR215]
Update:

We couldnā€™t reach an agreement, I was willing to proceed if I got more for the R, been offered more than $78k multiple times. Told them to look at the current market to see the actual value of the ā€˜20 R. They have my info if they want to sell the 500 bad enough.

Thank you all who commented, read every single comment and suggestion. Guess I will be needing to install back seats lol, if anybody has information/experience on that, please let me know.

I will keep you all posted on any updates.

Update 2: They offered another $2k, $80k total. That's their final offer.

Update 3: Decided to keep the R.

-RJ

Last edited:

Calif-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Funny you mention the Boss. I had a 13 Boss which I traded for the 350. Boss absolutely felt faster on the street, and was alot of fun. I do miss the Boss but don't miss the 350.
There a specific rides I go on where I miss the Boss for sure, but I wouldnā€™t go back as the 500 ticks all the boxes for me. if it had a manual it would be the end all be all car for me. I do miss rolling through the gears in my Boss for sure.

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE, 1967GT Fastback S code,
They are two different vehicles. It comes down to which you like best. There is no way anyone can solve this for you. You have to do some soul searching.

I agree that the R is worth more money than what is on the table.
Dealers always make money on trades, probably 5-10 k in this instance. The
R is probably a true collectible. Keep the R and get a nice fast GT Mustang.

Sponsored

Calif-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Update:

We couldnā€™t reach an agreement, I was willing to proceed if I got more for the R, been offered more than $78k multiple times. Told them to look at the current market to see the actual value of the ā€˜20 R. They have my info if they want to sell the 500 bad enough.

Thank you all who commented, read every single comment and suggestion. Guess I will be needing to install back seats lol, if anybody has information/experience on that, please let me know.

I will keep you all posted on any updates.

-RJ

There was a thread here a while ago about guys plugging their VIN number into Carvana to see what they would offer. Not sure what you might get, but might we worth 10 minutes to see what they would give you for your R.

I plugged my GT500 Vin number in (Handling pack, painted roof, sport seats, Tech pack, carbon trim) and got an offer of $84K. I bought mine used for $82K. Not that I would sell, but interesting to see what they would pay.

Good luck and enjoy those kids. It's true what they say, "They grow up WAY to fast".

TMC GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 GT500, ā€˜18 Jeep GC Trackhawk
Here is one data point worth considering.

Funny, that is my car that Phil tested (he messed up and said it was a '21 when it was a '20). I brought it up to NY for my daughter to visit some colleges . If you read some comments on youtube about the fit and finish, the CF panel is aftermarket and I had trouble fitting the vents so it looks off. I was in a rush and didn't give him the full low down.

He also tested my Trackhawk. I don't disagree with him on a couple of issues (on both vehicles). But that is why I modify my cars to cater it to my preferences. I would have a much harder time modifying the GT350R to be what I want, compared to getting the GT500 where I want it.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
@TMC GT500 : Fathouse could have gotten your R where you wanted it :) But all that aside, I had the same option, (non R) but I decided as I said before for the GT500. Newer tech, did not give up handling, and man the power. Also I have been in the ring with Ford about mods and warranty, though I won, I really do not want to fight that fight again unless I have to. So another reason I bought the GT500. Do not have to be in a hurry to mod it, if at all.

ddivinia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darin
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT-350R
I have a 2020 GT350R and a 2021 gt500 CFTP. I love them both.

In this market, I think you keep the GT350R. See what happens to the market. Maybe you do a deal later when things settle down. I see your R model holding value better than a GT500 HP. Or maybe you hit the lottery and get to have both..

D.
Sponsored