Sponsored

This is the brand new 2021 Mustang Mach-1

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Does anyone know if this will have the steering shaft/power steering assembly (or whatever necessary steering parts) from the "regular" Mustang GT? Or will it have that of the GT350/GT500? I've never had the pleasure of driving a GTXXX, but from what I've seen and read, steering feel and feedback is one of the most significant improvements of the Shelby's in terms of driving experience compared to a regular GT even with PP or PP2.
Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I don't believe there's any real significance in the name Grabber, other than it's a color that "grabs" your attention. I believe GM had an orange called Hugger, which is close, but I think that was just the related to orange and there were no other "hugger" colors. It was a time of "high impact" colors.....Plymouth/Dodge had the best names.....Plum Crazy (purple), Sublime (er, lime!), Go Mango (orange).....cool names, for cool (BRIGHT!) colors.

In fact, they proved so popular that Ford introduced a special edition Grabber for the '70MY. They were fastback (sportsroof) only, and came in Grabber Green, Grabber Blue, Grabber Orange, Calypso Coral, or Bright Yellow. The were optioned with the "Grabber Special Value Package". The Grabber Package included; the special "C" stripe which is similar to the 1969 Boss side stripe but without the lettering, the F-code 302ci 2bbl engine, body colored side mirrors, blacked out rear taillight panel, and 14-inch wheels with dog dish plain hub caps.

For me, these colors are representative of the peak of the original muscle car era, when Mustang was at its finest. Just like retro styling cues, these colors are a nod to the past, whilst also being cool today.

:)

ebay992312.jpg
Before my time, but...hypothetically...
‘Grabber” is just a name that Supposedly sounded cool a loooong time ago. It’s supposed to say this really grabs your eye or that it catches light differently. But that’s a matter of debate. The color had a very plastic and unusual look - kind of reminiscent of plastic marionette shows like Fireball XL5 that preceded it. The use of the name now is just nostalgia. Interestingly, the color seems to fit well in a modern age of flat colors surging in popularity.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Sorry no one agrees with you

2003-ford-mustang-mach-1-coupe-neg-cn336001-063-1591126141.jpg

676994.jpg
idk man. Ford seemed to always uglify the MAch 1 badge Later Mustangs.
The ‘03 was a beast. But it really didn’t need the poor wheel choice, cluttered stripes, and 1970s Amiga graphics logo. It was time to do a modern take and they just tacked on plastic And vinyl bits of cosmetic “nostalgia” instead.

the result was a cluttered and confused looking car that kicked butt on the street.

‘the sn95 new edge looked high class when it debuted. Modern angles were back and the jellybean fox4 was replaced by a much more aggressive looking Mustang with lines that were pleasing to the eyes.

unfortunately, the Mach 1 didn’t carry that ethos.

fast forward to to the newbMach 1. Sadly Ford hasn’t changed with this nameplate. Confused and fake round fog lookalikes in the grille... confused graphics stuck on. It deserves better.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I have a Bright Red 1991 Mustang LX and would say it may not be the greatest design , but I still get a lot of compliments from bystanders when I drive down the streets, I get comments like cool car, nice car, cute car. I myself do like clean designs myself. I consider the new Mach 1 to be a nice clean design that will pass the test of time like my 1991 5.0 LX.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've never liked the SN95/New Edge looks. Most cars from the 90's to early 2000's are just really bland. Yes, most cars today are really bland, but at least the good ones stand out. The 4th gen Mustang doesn't.
I do like the 1999+ cars a whole lot more than the 1994-1998. I call those Mustang 3, because everyone disrespects the Mustang II. Frankly I think the Mustang II design was a lot better than 1994-98.

idk man. Ford seemed to always uglify the MAch 1 badge Later Mustangs.
The ‘03 was a beast. But it really didn’t need the poor wheel choice, cluttered stripes, and 1970s Amiga graphics logo. It was time to do a modern take and they just tacked on plastic And vinyl bits of cosmetic “nostalgia” instead.

the result was a cluttered and confused looking car that kicked butt on the street.

‘the sn95 new edge looked high class when it debuted. Modern angles were back and the jellybean fox4 was replaced by a much more aggressive looking Mustang with lines that were pleasing to the eyes.

unfortunately, the Mach 1 didn’t carry that ethos.

fast forward to to the newbMach 1. Sadly Ford hasn’t changed with this nameplate. Confused and fake round fog lookalikes in the grille... confused graphics stuck on. It deserves better.
The 2003 Cobras are the best possible incarnation of that generation of cars. They look good. Really good.

Once I got a good look and realized the shapes in the grill aren't round I liked the new Mach a lot better. And the nose of the new Mach is better by leaps and bounds than the 2018 plus nose in my opinion.

I have a Bright Red 1991 Mustang LX and would say it may not be the greatest design , but I still get a lot of compliments from bystanders when I drive down the streets, I get comments like cool car, nice car, cute car. I myself do like clean designs myself. I consider the new Mach 1 to be a nice clean design that will pass the test of time like my 1991 5.0 LX.
I like Fox bodies. I like the original '79 look. I like the '85/'86 4 eyes. I like the later cars too. I owned a handful of different 1989 GTs. I think '89 was the sweet spot because it didn't have air bags yet so the steering wheel looked good. Plus it had the forged pistons that went away IIRC in 1990 and EFI missing from the early cars. They are cheap, boxy cars, but up until recently Mustangs have always been cheap cars.

Last edited:

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I do like the 1999+ cars a whole lot more than the 1994-1998. I call those Mustang 3, because everyone disrespects the Mustang II. Frankly I think the Mustang II design was a lot better than 1994-98.

The 2003 Cobras are the best possible incarnation of that generation of cars. They look good. Really good.

Once I got a good look and realized the shapes in the grill aren't round I liked the new Mach a lot better. And the nose of the new Mach is better by leaps and bounds than the 2018 plus nose in my opinion.

I like Fox bodies. I like the original '79 look. I like the '85/'86 4 eyes. I like the later cars too. I owned a handful of different 1989 GTs. I think '89 was the sweet spot because it didn't have air bags yet so the steering wheel looked good. Plus it had the forged pistons that went away IIRC in 1990 and EFI missing from the early cars. They are cheap, boxy cars, but up until recently Mustangs have always been cheap cars.

I get that you like it. And that’s cool. I want to. But I just get soooo tired of mediocrity and lack of true vision.

The fake fogs are round. Sure they smush at the top of the grille but they are as round as the GT350R steering wheel and absolution supposed to be reminiscent of the round fogs on old cars.

Perhaps the Mach is Ford’s way of keeping the nostalgia fan base happy. I don’t know. If so, that’s cool.

I just thought that with the Mach e coming out and being a thoroughly modern (outside of the suv, soccer mom aspect) thing, that thE actual Mustang would be a radical new modern vision.

Not trying to be a downer. Just see innovation with old nameplates happening all over - but ford seems to keep half way doing it with tacking on some cheap bits to say “look! Old stuff!” As a cheap way to gain short lived excitement.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I really think this Mach1 was going to be another Boss 302 but when everyone pitched a bitch Ford naming their new EV Mach1 they changed there plans. With so much Mach1 stuff in the pipeline and this new Mustang performance coupe still several years out it was easy to dump the Boss moniker and call it Mach1 and give the Mustang fandom what they wanted.

Last edited:

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
I really thing this Mach1 was going to be another Boss 302 but when everyone pitched a bitch Ford naming their new EV Mach1 they changed there plans. With so much Mach1 stuff in the pipeline and this new Mustang performance coupe still several years out it was easy to dump the Boss moniker and call it Mach1 and give the Mustang fandom what they wanted.
The Mach 1 nameplate return had been in planning, before C727 was internally christened Mach E in 2018.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I can accept the Mach 1 , but I would also like to see Ford come out with a performance Mustang that would have a totally new name and no reference to nostalgia.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I get that you like it. And that’s cool. I want to. But I just get soooo tired of mediocrity and lack of true vision.

The fake fogs are round. Sure they smush at the top of the grille but they are as round as the GT350R steering wheel and absolution supposed to be reminiscent of the round fogs on old cars.

Perhaps the Mach is Ford’s way of keeping the nostalgia fan base happy. I don’t know. If so, that’s cool.

I just thought that with the Mach e coming out and being a thoroughly modern (outside of the suv, soccer mom aspect) thing, that thE actual Mustang would be a radical new modern vision.

Not trying to be a downer. Just see innovation with old nameplates happening all over - but ford seems to keep half way doing it with tacking on some cheap bits to say “look! Old stuff!” As a cheap way to gain short lived excitement.
Well if you are saying that Ford leveraged many existing parts in order to keep the cost/price down - I definitely agree with that. I don't have the budget to buy a optioned-up Mustang with all new parts not shared by any other car. Heck, the GT500 can cost 100 grand and it also shares most of its parts with other Mustangs. It doesn't have a ton of unique parts.

I feel like you are maybe not trying to be a downer, but you are looking at everything in a negative light. Not a big deal, it's fine. I guess I don't agree. I'm bummed that the Mach 1 doesn't have more power with a larger engine size and the round-ish shapes in the grill aren't my favorite either. They could have done rectangular shapes and some would still say they were nostalgia - the '70 Mach had the rectangular fogs in the grill.

It would be interesting to see a radical modern new Mustang. Seems like a really risky thing for Ford to do, though. Especially a radical new Mustang shape for an option package seems unrealistic to expect. And you would probably expect Ford to give it away for a $50-60k price as well.
Sponsored