1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
I have had three Mach 1' in my life , a 69' with a auto 351 winsor, a 70' four speed with a 351 cleveland, and a 72' 4 speed and 351 cleveland. To be honest its all just a trim level.you could have got every item minus the strips and badges on just a sport top back in the day. So this new Mach 1 is a true descendant of the orig.Mach 1. Trust me.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I still new here, but ill give my idea on how ford can fix the mach1.
Not sure that the Mach 1 needs to be fixed but......

1. POWER instead of the 350 intake, use the ford performance cobra jet with a specialized tune to give the 5.0 more power like 505 hp. Also they can market the engine more by calling this the 5.0 high output cobra. This will relate to how the original 69/70 Mach had an available cobra jet engine. Plus it will make it more unique compared to the rest of the lineup.

The Ford Performance Cobra Jet engine is a 1400HP non street legal drag engine that costs about $20K. The aftermarket will sell you a supercharger for $10K and you'll have 700HP. For most folks the standard 480HP engine will be just fine. E85 tunes will up to over 500HP NA.

2. LOOKS A shaker hood at this point is wishful thinking, but if ford could develop a functional NACA HOOD with a wider hood stripe, instead of just putting a stripe on a regular mustang hood it will give it a fuller look

Absolutely, I was hoping for this too. Unfortunately the air box is in the front corner. Ford didn't go with a shaker for this reason. Same goes for the NACA ducts.

3. LIGHTS I personally like the air intake faux lights, but ford should have did what mopar does to the challengers lights. They need to add an led trim ring around the faux lights, they don’t even need to be functional headlights that actually progect light, as long as it gives it a good asthetic to the appearance of the car when it lights up. Oh and a tribar pony grille emblem. That’s my .02

Many would find the LED's a little garish while adding additional cost. I like the idea and I'm sure the aftermarket is already designing them. I'm 100% with you on the Tri-bar. Such a simple thing that would have made a big difference.

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
They didn't add the shaker hood because it's not aerodynamic. They talked about it in a video.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
I still new here, but ill give my idea on how ford can fix the mach1.

1. POWER instead of the 350 intake, use the ford performance cobra jet with a specialized tune to give the 5.0 more power like 505 hp.
That is way to logical man, I don't know what clowns are incharge in the mach 1 dept but they clearly have failed with this parts bin special.... The CJ intake and 505 woulda been a nice touch... they were to lazy... lets just resell what we already made (bullit mods on engine) and rebrand it... I know it when i see it as I also used to do the same thing in another industry.

I dont care for the shaker tbh...

I just dont see how anyone with a recent model year would buy this when you can accomplish more with less money if you just mod your own. the gt350... its not like you could take a 36k gt and just build a 350 for the price difference or less... however you can buy a GT and easily build a better track car than the mach 1 for less money...

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
Not sure that the Mach 1 needs to be fixed but......

1. POWER instead of the 350 intake, use the ford performance cobra jet with a specialized tune to give the 5.0 more power like 505 hp. Also they can market the engine more by calling this the 5.0 high output cobra. This will relate to how the original 69/70 Mach had an available cobra jet engine. Plus it will make it more unique compared to the rest of the lineup.

The Ford Performance Cobra Jet engine is a 1400HP non street legal drag engine that costs about $20K. The aftermarket will sell you a supercharger for $10K and you'll have 700HP. For most folks the standard 480HP engine will be just fine. E85 tunes will up to over 500HP NA.

2. LOOKS A shaker hood at this point is wishful thinking, but if ford could develop a functional NACA HOOD with a wider hood stripe, instead of just putting a stripe on a regular mustang hood it will give it a fuller look

Absolutely, I was hoping for this too. Unfortunately the air box is in the front corner. Ford didn't go with a shaker for this reason. Same goes for the NACA ducts.

3. LIGHTS I personally like the air intake faux lights, but ford should have did what mopar does to the challengers lights. They need to add an led trim ring around the faux lights, they don’t even need to be functional headlights that actually progect light, as long as it gives it a good asthetic to the appearance of the car when it lights up. Oh and a tribar pony grille emblem. That’s my .02

Many would find the LED's a little garish while adding additional cost. I like the idea and I'm sure the aftermarket is already designing them. I'm 100% with you on the Tri-bar. Such a simple thing that would have made a big difference.
the NACA wouldn't have to be for air intake. could have had an additional radiator for...something...cooling the washer fluid for all I care. or could have been to create a venturi for heat extractors moved further back increasing their efficiency.

Sponsored

5.ooooooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
O7 merc mountianeer premier
the NACA wouldn't have to be for air intake. could have had an additional radiator for...something...cooling the washer fluid for all I care. or could have been to create a venturi for heat extractors moved further back increasing their efficiency.

Sorry, I meant the cobra jet intake manifold not the whole cobra jet engine
2DF1C768-79FF-41EA-8045-3F5FDCA8D2AD.jpeg

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, I meant the cobra jet intake manifold not the whole cobra jet engine
2DF1C768-79FF-41EA-8045-3F5FDCA8D2AD.jpeg
wrong person you replied to, but that would be sweet. I agree NACA woulda been a nice feature, and if someone makes a hood with it, I'll be getting one.

5.ooooooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
O7 merc mountianeer premier
I can’t stop thinking how good the Mach 1 would look if it came with this hood:idea: .BTW why isn’t their a flat bottom steering wheel with a gray 12o clock stripe, (orange for the fighter jet gray package). You would think they would do that especially for the most “pinnacle” 5.0 performance car ever made.

56FAF979-26AA-4360-9E2D-747C49E6137C.jpeg

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
I can’t stop thinking how good the Mach 1 would look if it came with this hood:idea: .BTW why isn’t their a flat bottom steering wheel with a gray 12o clock stripe, (orange for the fighter jet gray package). You would think they would do that especially for the most “pinnacle” 5.0 performance car ever made.

56FAF979-26AA-4360-9E2D-747C49E6137C.jpeg
that front is WAY too Camaro for me. on the hood though, which is the point of discussion, I'd place them closer together, and raise the hood between them to be level like on the 71-73

Sponsored

Katastrophe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda Civic Sedan EX, 2014 Honda VFR800F
I don't know how long the S550 is sticking around for, but where we are now at this point in time, this is the BEST 5.0 Mustang we have ever gotten. Period.

I look at it like a greatest hits from all the Mustangs we have gotten in recent years. It has the highest powered 5.0 from any Mustang. It has the best manual transmission from any Mustang. It has all the cooling we could want. It has trickle-down parts from the offerings from Shelby. Also, unlike the Bullitt, we can get more of a stripper version with cloth seats and less frills.

Again, I truly believe the REAL factor for this car is price. Even then, I have a feeling this car will have some of that special sauce that won't be found on a stat sheet.

Maybe if this car had a different name, there wouldn't nearly be as much polarizing opinions?

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
I don't know how long the S550 is sticking around for, but where we are now at this point in time, this is the BEST 5.0 Mustang we have ever gotten. Period.

I look at it like a greatest hits from all the Mustangs we have gotten in recent years. It has the highest powered 5.0 from any Mustang. It has the best manual transmission from any Mustang. It has all the cooling we could want. It has trickle-down parts from the offerings from Shelby. Also, unlike the Bullitt, we can get more of a stripper version with cloth seats and less frills.

Again, I truly believe the REAL factor for this car is price. Even then, I have a feeling this car will have some of that special sauce that won't be found on a stat sheet.

Maybe if this car had a different name, there wouldn't nearly be as much polarizing opinions?
performance wise, this is the best non shelby we've ever gotten. I mean, discounting just character and feel. that easily belongs to the Boss '9 and 429 Mach 1s

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
base is PP2 without the tires, but with coolers and an optional A10. w/ the handling package it is the GT350 without the FPC VooDoo.
And without the GT350s amazing brakes, which are a huge part of how great that car is.

Thank you for making my point. The Mach 1 is more than a GT, a PP1, PP2, or a Bullitt. It can and should stand on its own.
Yes.

They didn't add the shaker hood because it's not aerodynamic. They talked about it in a video.
Aero schmero I just wish they could put a cool hood on the car rather than a cheap stripe.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Aero schmero I just wish they could put a cool hood on the car rather than a cheap stripe.
Ford didn't want to spend the extra money is the real reason. Thats also the reason for no pedestal wing.