Sponsored

"This feature is currently not available."

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
I have a 2019 with the voice activated nav system. Navigation voice commands stopped working a few months ago, essentially hanging the system for 30 seconds with no response and then dropping back to AV mode. Other voice commands (phone and the like) continue to work normally. At the same time, access to Waze through Sync stopped working. Apple CarPlay continues to work well.

The dealer played with it for 2 days the last time it was in the shop, but wanted more time than I could leave the car then. I was planning to drop it in the next week, but decided to try it today before I set up the appointment.

When I tried a navigation command, the car responded "This feature is currently not available. Please complete the map update to enable it."

Two questions come to mind:
  1. What map update? Neither I nor the dealer tried to do one.
  2. Any idea why has this come out of nowhere with no warning? It was not doing this two weeks ago, and hasn't in the 3 months since it was last at the dealer.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I have a 20149 with the voice activated nav system. Navigation voice commands stopped working a few months ago, essentially hanging the system for 30 seconds with no response and then dropping back to AV mode. Other voice commands (phone and the like) continue to work normally. At the same time, access to Waze through Sync stopped working. Apple CarPlay continues to work well.

The dealer played with it for 2 days the last time it was in the shop, but wanted more time than I could leave the car then. I was planning to drop it in the next week, but decided to try it today before I set up the appointment.

When I tried a navigation command, the car responded "This feature is currently not available. Please complete the map update to enable it."

2. Any idea why has this come out of nowhere with no warning? It was not doing this two weeks ago, and hasn't in the 3 months since it was last at the dealer.
Any thoughts?
Do you have automatic WiFi updates turned on? There is a new map update and it might not have finished. Read thisā€¦.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/we-have-a-new-sync-3-map-update.164763/

There is also a new update Sync update you need to do (21194). See post #18.

OP
OP
Zooks527

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
My wife's 2019 Lincoln started doing this. Right after the dealer tried to fix other issues with sync - including the lock up when trying to use certain voice commands. But the map update didn't start until they said they fixed it.

They tried again this week and now we are waiting for a Lincoln tech to "get back with them".

I noticed though that her maps, which used to be the 2-20 update, now says it is the 1-19 map. I'm going to try the map update off a USB tomorrow and see if that fixes it.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' FE, 20' FE
I have a 20149 with the voice activated nav system. Navigation voice commands stopped working a few months ago, essentially hanging the system for 30 seconds with no response and then dropping back to AV mode. Other voice commands (phone and the like) continue to work normally. At the same time, access to Waze through Sync stopped working. Apple CarPlay continues to work well.

Any thoughts?
This is new in the 21194 build. The reason it happens is you do not have the Nav Voice package installed. That package is deleted during a map update, and many times folks pull the drive early. In that case no Nav Voice package is installed and itā€™ll die out (prior to 21194) without any notification of something going wrong. Itā€™s possible the map was OTA updating, but still there it should replace in place vs delete totally like a USB update. If you see the right package in the IVSU Versions diag screen, run a master reset in case the new image didnā€™t mount for some reason.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Zooks527

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is new in the 21194 build. The reason it happens is you do not have the Nav Voice package installed. That package is deleted during a map update, and many times folks pull the drive early. In that case no Nav Voice package is installed and itā€™ll die out (prior to 21194) without any notification of something going wrong. Itā€™s possible the map was OTA updating, but still there it should replace in place vs delete totally like a USB update. If you see the right package in the IVSU Versions diag screen, run a master reset in case the new image didnā€™t mount for some reason.
Thanks! I'll look into this.

The kick, however, is that I haven't done a map update. Voice navigation was working until sometime late last year, then it suddenly wasn't. When it dies, it did exactly what you said above - just died with no notification. As I now have the notification, it seems that the system has moved itself to 21194, without doing anything about the map.

I've downloaded the new map, and I'll try to install it this afternoon. Worst case, back to the dealer, which was in the plans anyway. They still need to deal with the lack of access to phone apps without forcing it to CarPlay.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' FE, 20' FE
The kick, however, is that I haven't done a map update. Voice navigation was working until sometime late last year, then it suddenly wasn't. When it dies, it did exactly what you said above - just died with no notification. As I now have the notification, it seems that the system has moved itself to 21194, without doing anything about the map.
I would guess that the system was updating the map OTA when you lost it. I've heard of one or two cases where it seemed like this was the case, but why exactly it happens I'm not sure. Running the new map update should address it, just make sure you let it get through all parts of the update. It'll pop a done message before it's actually done and restart itself a couple times. If you pull the stick early, you'll be in the same spot without a nav voice package installed.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' FE, 20' FE
My wife's 2019 Lincoln started doing this. Right after the dealer tried to fix other issues with sync - including the lock up when trying to use certain voice commands. But the map update didn't start until they said they fixed it.

They tried again this week and now we are waiting for a Lincoln tech to "get back with them".

I noticed though that her maps, which used to be the 2-20 update, now says it is the 1-19 map. I'm going to try the map update off a USB tomorrow and see if that fixes it.
Did they try to update her map? If it was on NA 2 20, but now shows NA 1 19 I'm guessing they did, and possibly they didn't complete the full update.

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
Did they try to update her map? If it was on NA 2 20, but now shows NA 1 19 I'm guessing they did, and possibly they didn't complete the full update.
I don't know what they did -- but we suspect that they did nothing the last time it was there.

I downloaded the map update from the Sync site for Lincoln (wasn't sure if the Lincoln and Mustang files were the same so did a new USB for Lincoln). I uploaded it to her car yesterday morning. It wasn't working when I left for golf though even though it now showed the 2-20 map again.

This morning -- the voice navigation is working. I must not have let it sit long enough or it had to go through another key cycle to complete.

Since it is working now, we both figure that the dealer didn't do anything and just let it sit for the day. If they had done the update again it seems that it should have been working. Or they did the update but pulled the USB before it was done. My wife is waiting for them to call with the news that tech told them what to do and to bring it back in.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' FE, 20' FE
This morning -- the voice navigation is working. I must not have let it sit long enough or it had to go through another key cycle to complete.
Yes, the nav voice packages go in last and would need that final off/on cycle to load up.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Zooks527

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've downloaded the new map, and I'll try to install it this afternoon. Worst case, back to the dealer, which was in the plans anyway. They still need to deal with the lack of access to phone apps without forcing it to CarPlay.
And, after either two or three on / off cycles, voice navigation is working.

A few things of note:
  • Started with the system at 21194. Stupidly forgot to check the map version before starting.
  • It only took 35 minutes from start to finish (notification to remove the drive). I let it sit for another 5 minutes or so before taking the drive out.
  • Shut the car off / turned the car on yesterday. Tested it just after, and it wasn't working. Neither was Waze access without CarPlay.
  • Massachusetts has changed all the highway exit numbers this year. Took the car to work this morning to see if the new map incorporates the changed exit numbers. It does not. :curse:
  • Did not try voice nav on the way to work. After all, I tried it yesterday and it wasn't working.
  • Just read this thread again at lunch, and decided to go out and try it before replying. Mirabile dictu, it's working !
  • Still cannot access Waze through mobile apps (iPhone SE on 14.8). I can get it through CarPlay. šŸ˜–

Not sure why it didn't hit after the off / on cycle yesterday, but I'm not going to complain. I think I will still call the dealer and ask about apps not working.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' FE, 20' FE
  • Still cannot access Waze through mobile apps (iPhone SE on 14.8). I can get it through CarPlay. šŸ˜–

Not sure why it didn't hit after the off / on cycle yesterday, but I'm not going to complain.
It needs a cold boot for the updated files to take. So, if you did a quick off/on, it never actually shut down fully.

For Waze, they removed support for SDL a couple months back. CarPlay/AA only if you want to use it.

OP
OP
Zooks527

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)