Sponsored

Thinking about going with all season tires. Am I making a right decision?

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Having a 2018 PP1 DD, has anyone noticed an improvement in ride (comfort) when changing to all season tires? My Michelin snow tires provide a much better ride than the factory summer PP1 tires. I almost regret putting the summer tires back on this spring. Fortunately, I think I'll need new tires a year from now and the Michelin PS AS 3+ might be a good choice if the ride is better than what I have now with the summer tires. No track time or aggressive driving is planned.
I'd appreciate any advice you have.
I have a 2018 PP1 with magneride and went from 4S to the a/s 3+ since it is my DD. There is a little softer ride with the a/s 3+. Enough that my wife noticed. FYI: I would rather have the 4S for their performance but honestly I haven’t felt a difference with daily driving other than I think the 4S do better in the rain.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Don't sacrifice a huge difference in performance for ride (which you can improve quite a bit in other ways).
Realistically just how much "performance" do you expect to exploit on the street anyway? If one is overdriving A/S tires one is Well into criminal/dangerous behavior.

Personally I would go for summers + A/S and forget snows. But A/S + Snows is perfectly valid. He just needs a 3rd set of wheels for Summer/Track tires regardless, so we can drag his butt to Summit Point or Dominion and get to REALLY drive the car.

In your case we already know you frequent Joliet, Blackhawk Farms or Gingermann.

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I personally would like to have another set of wheels for the 4S and keep the a/s 3+ for the colder months where it gets below 45-50 consistently.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
It's not just grip, even though having the extra margin on the street is a good thing (panic stop, lane change?). The best high performance summers like the PS4S offer fantastic steering feel and great rain performance; better than most A/S tires, including the AS3+.

But I guess if one only drives the car like grandma, anything will do.
I agree. And like you said, steering feel, and handling performance is important. At least to most of us it is.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It's not just grip, even though having the extra margin on the street is a good thing (panic stop, lane change?).
That's a failure to drive attentively, to predict, to evaluate. Tires won't save you.

The best high performance summers like the PS4S offer fantastic steering feel and great rain performance; better than most A/S tires, including the AS3+.

But I guess if one only drives the car like grandma, anything will do.
I'm not disagreeing that the PS4S is a lovely tire. I also can tell the difference between driving on them vs the A/S Contis at semi-rational speeds. I have the luxury of extra wheels and 'wasting' summer tires on routine street driving. But if someone is trying to economize be it wheel sets or rubber, A/S tires are more than adequate for the job even if they sometimes like to drive like a possessed grandma on Speed.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Andy D

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Ruby Red
Thanks for all the input. I'm still wondering however, if the ride quality of A/S tires is somewhere between the original PP1 tires and the Michelin snow tires I just removed. I'm looking for a more comfortable ride. I know the combination of summer and winter tires is the ultimate way to go, but I don't need the changeover hassles any more.

Although I have two full sets of wheels, I'm almost done with the changeovers. My wife and I downsized and storage of a full set of wheels and tires is now a problem.

I appreciate any insights you may have.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still wondering however, if the ride quality of A/S tires is somewhere between the original PP1 tires and the Michelin snow tires I just removed.
that's highly brand (thus construction) and sizing dependent. Some have soft sidewalls (Conti) others have stiff (Bridgestone). Section 40 tires will be more forgiving than 35. I have 35 on 2 cars and 40 on the other. The ride difference is enough to notice.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
If I was going to put on all seasons, it would be either Michelin A/S 3+ or Continental DWS-06, which I do have on two of my cars.
Sponsored