Sponsored

Thermostat install

Phantom2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
So I'm going to install the 170 thermostat this weekend. For the people that have done it , will I lose a lot of coolant when doing it or just a little thanks ?
Any tips?
Sponsored

Xavier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Some people recommend draining some coolant so a bunch doesn't pour out of the hose. I'd keep a bucket under there and a jug of spare coolant just in case. Also don't be a jackwagon like me and overtighten the bolts for the thermostat housing, not a cheap part to replace...

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
Drain some coolant. I didn't and used a clamp on the hose....still spilled a bunch out. But I had pulled my undertray and put down a drain pan just in case.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
[ame] This video shows how to drain the coolant reservoir. When I put the 170 in my car I went to the trouble of jacking up the car and removing the under tray and completely draining the radiator. Save yourself some time. Drain the coolant tank/line and change out the thermostat. You will have to remove the CAI to get to it. If you get a plastic cup to catch the remainder of the coolant removing the thermostat spillage will be a minimum. Have a bucket in arms reach to dump the cup because the other hand will hold the hose up to keep coolant from draining out until emptied using the cup. My 170 failed and caused my car to flash a code saying the car wasn't warming to proper running temp. Head temp was 158 deg/f so I switched back to factory.

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
i swapped out my coolant tank and lost some which put me below the min line when i poured it back in. you can buy the orange stuff at your ford dealer or auto zone sells the GM labeled version which is the same. i sprayed the engine bay off with some water in the area the coolant spilled as well.

Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
You are going to spill and make a mess on the engine no matter what. I didn't drain anything. Just took off the thermostat housing, swapped it, refilled coolant, and washed off the front of the engine with a hose.

OP
OP
Phantom2015

Phantom2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
thanks guys for the advise. I will keep all this in mind.

OP
OP
Phantom2015

Phantom2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
This video shows how to drain the coolant reservoir. When I put the 170 in my car I went to the trouble of jacking up the car and removing the under tray and completely draining the radiator. Save yourself some time. Drain the coolant tank/line and change out the thermostat. You will have to remove the CAI to get to it. If you get a plastic cup to catch the remainder of the coolant removing the thermostat spillage will be a minimum. Have a bucket in arms reach to dump the cup because the other hand will hold the hose up to keep coolant from draining out until emptied using the cup. My 170 failed and caused my car to flash a code saying the car wasn't warming to proper running temp. Head temp was 158 deg/f so I switched back to factory.
thanks and do you think it was a bad thermostat? probably that one in a million. only reason I'm switching is because of the flex fuel tune and it bugs me the fan turns on so fast now.

iGovernment

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP A10
Really worth doing this mod? I've done it on my 97 GT easy, but these cars sounds like a pain lol

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Phantom2015

Phantom2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Really worth doing this mod? I've done it on my 97 GT easy, but these cars sounds like a pain lol
So I got the Lund flex fuel tune and he has the fans turning on earlier for better cooling due to the tune. So the fans are almost on all the time and it bugs me to hear it haha. So since the 170 opens up at a lower temp the fans wont kick in all the time. It will be like it was when I was stock and yes way worth it to have a E85 tune. Car pulls so hard compared to stock.:headbang:

iGovernment

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP A10
So I got the Lund flex fuel tune and he has the fans turning on earlier for better cooling due to the tune. So the fans are almost on all the time and it bugs me to hear it haha. So since the 170 opens up at a lower temp the fans wont kick in all the time. It will be like it was when I was stock and yes way worth it to have a E85 tune. Car pulls so hard compared to stock.:headbang:
Awesome, I didn't know what mods you had, you should add them to your sig ;)

squid678

Squid678
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2020 Explorer ST, 2018 F-150 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
You are going to spill and make a mess on the engine no matter what. I didn't drain anything. Just took off the thermostat housing, swapped it, refilled coolant, and washed off the front of the engine with a hose.
I pretty much did the same thing too. Just had a deep pan under the car and hosed the front of the engine and pan out. In terms of fluid loss, I added almost 1 jug of Motorcraft 50/50 mix when it was all said and done. You will need a tune to adjust the fans. My fans were on almost constantly, very annoying! Once I had the tune, fan issue gone. It rarely kicks on, but we are not in the summer months yet. Coolant temp has been sticking at the 170 mark when I am running her hard, no issues!:thumbsup:

P51DNA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Not bad at all. Going to leak some. I bought some coolant. I used distilled water in a spray bottle afterwards to rinse the coolant that leaked on the motor and pan below, but that's just my ocd

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
I pretty much did the same thing too. Just had a deep pan under the car and hosed the front of the engine and pan out. In terms of fluid loss, I added almost 1 jug of Motorcraft 50/50 mix when it was all said and done. You will need a tune to adjust the fans. My fans were on almost constantly, very annoying! Once I had the tune, fan issue gone. It rarely kicks on, but we are not in the summer months yet. Coolant temp has been sticking at the 170 mark when I am running her hard, no issues!:thumbsup:
I doubt your car stays at 170 coolant temp when your running a 170 stat let alone running it hard.

Your thermostat is barely open a C-hair if even at all at 170 So how your car stays at 170 something seems off.

Unless your stat is stuck open or something seeing operating Temps the same as the temp thernostat you have isn't right.

Just something to think about. Seems way too low.
Sponsored