The Small Questions Thread

new302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
16 PP GT
[MENTION=27867]ChristianDev[/MENTION] window sticker will indicate if it has an optional ratio. standard for your car was 331. optional was 355. You can usually google to decode the axle code on the drivers door jam to determine the ratio
Sponsored

OP
OP
JKL1031

JKL1031

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP Premium
That happened in my prior 2016 - nothing like that in the 2018, so I’m assuming something is different with the materials or how the dash components are mater together behind the dash.
There should be foam strips everywhere the dash touches the body. Sounds like rocks r hitting the windshield when the HVAC heat gets warm.

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
Small questions about the HVAC (2016 GT M6):

First question: Does anyone notice when it is quiet (stereo off) in the car with the HVAC on that their fan rpm hunts up and down? It is like the fan can't decide if it should be on the lowest setting or the second lowest setting so it randomly switches back and forth. (Baseline on the lowest setting, random short-lived switches to the second lowest.)

Second question: When I get in the car on a cold morning and start driving, once the engine heats up the heater is very zealous about heating the cabin and dramatically overshoots the set temperature. For example, it is 30 degrees F outside in the morning. My auto-temp is set at 70 degrees F. Once the engine heats up enough the car is blowing full hot air WAY past the 70 mark to the point of being uncomfortable. However, if I lower the temp set point 2 degrees, it will back off and eventually control just fine. It does this for most of the temp set points I've tried (it happens even when set to 68 and 66 - no reason to blast heat to achieve 60). After the engine has warmed up, parking the car and restarting it the temp control works as I would expect. Is this a deliberate programming error in an attempt to compensate for the initial chill in the cabin on cold starts? Or is there something screwed up with my HVAC controller?

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
@ChristianDev window sticker will indicate if it has an optional ratio. standard for your car was 331. optional was 355. You can usually google to decode the axle code on the drivers door jam to determine the ratio
The other choice (3.73) is locked hand-in-hand with the performance pack. So you can rule that one in or out fairly easily.

The door jam axle code on my '16 with 3.55 is "DD". I think the 3.31 is "GG" but I can't confirm.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
[MENTION=27867]ChristianDev[/MENTION] window sticker will indicate if it has an optional ratio. standard for your car was 331. optional was 355. You can usually google to decode the axle code on the drivers door jam to determine the ratio
There is a sticker on the back bell housing of the diff itself. It will say the ratio.

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods

First question: Does anyone notice when it is quiet (stereo off) in the car with the HVAC on that their fan rpm hunts up and down? It is like the fan can't decide if it should be on the lowest setting or the second lowest setting so it randomly switches back and forth. (Baseline on the lowest setting, random short-lived switches to the second lowest.)

Second question: When I get in the car on a cold morning and start driving, once the engine heats up the heater is very zealous about heating the cabin and dramatically overshoots the set temperature. For example, it is 30 degrees F outside in the morning. My auto-temp is set at 70 degrees F. Once the engine heats up enough the car is blowing full hot air WAY past the 70 mark to the point of being uncomfortable. However, if I lower the temp set point 2 degrees, it will back off and eventually control just fine. It does this for most of the temp set points I've tried (it happens even when set to 68 and 66 - no reason to blast heat to achieve 60). After the engine has warmed up, parking the car and restarting it the temp control works as I would expect. Is this a deliberate programming error in an attempt to compensate for the initial chill in the cabin on cold starts? Or is there something screwed up with my HVAC controller?
This is my first auto climate car, and mine works perfectly. I set it and forget it. Really enjoyable.

Others have claimed they aren't so impressed. I'd have yours checked out.

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
Is it possible for the "H" pattern in the shifter to be slightly out of alignment with the actual gears in the transmission? All too often a shift from 2 to 3 seems to get stuck exactly between 1 and 3 and doesn't want to go left or right. I wondered if the pattern plate (assuming such a thing exists) on the shifter is just a hair off and the slot for 3rd doesn't properly align with the internal gear position. If so, an adjustment might also alleviate that slight "crunch" that is almost always present when shifting into 3rd.

OP
OP
JKL1031

JKL1031

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP Premium
I guess it's normal for the brakes to squeal with PP brembos?

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
Your wife told you not to buy it but you did anyway? :brokenheart::shrug:
:thumbsup: Exactly, was in the dog house for, wait, still in the dog house. :headbonk:

druby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium, Tripple Yellow
I guess it's normal for the brakes to squeal with PP brembos?
I've researched this one a lot. Many folks say yes, that's what you get with Brembo's. I think I've come to the conclusion that you have to drive a bit more aggressive than I'm used to in my old car. Rather than gliding to stops all the time, these brakes light it a bit rough.

Sponsored

druby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium, Tripple Yellow
Do any of the aftermarket clutches have the clutch pedal engagement point closer to the floor? I can't stand how high up the stock clutch grabs, it's tough to shift smoothly.
I think I've seen some threads about this. I have the same car and have also found it to be tricky to shift. I haven't driven a stick in about 10 years though. I think that a lot of people remove some sort of spring. I haven't tried it yet, as I'm just trying to get used to it/figure it out myself. Try searching the general forums and I'll bet you find a bunch.

Rc18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
6mt-rc-18eb
Vehicle Showcase
Remove the clutch assist spring to solve this.

I think I've seen some threads about this. I have the same car and have also found it to be tricky to shift. I haven't driven a stick in about 10 years though. I think that a lot of people remove some sort of spring. I haven't tried it yet, as I'm just trying to get used to it/figure it out myself. Try searching the general forums and I'll bet you find a bunch.
Removing your stock clutch assist spring solves the weird takeup point issue&vague clutch feel.

To remove simply depress the clutch pedal fully, use a pair of vise grip or other locking pliers on the spring itself. The perch is on the upper right side of the clutch pedal. After clamping down on the spring slide whole assembly to the right and it will fall out/come off easily. I've been driving like this since I got it and it really is a world of difference:cheers:

OP
OP
JKL1031

JKL1031

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP Premium
I've researched this one a lot. Many folks say yes, that's what you get with Brembo's. I think I've come to the conclusion that you have to drive a bit more aggressive than I'm used to in my old car. Rather than gliding to stops all the time, these brakes light it a bit rough.
I think there's a certain pad that dowsnt squeal.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
For $20 you can get a different clutch spring from Steeda, which gives the clutch a better feel than the stock spring, but is not so extreme a change as simply removing the spring.

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline

Quiet?? No stereo playing??

That will never happen in my car.................:headbang:
Sponsored