Last edited:

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/may/10/us-housing-market-prices-increasing

The Guardian runs in-depth stories often; this one highlights the cost and availability of housing.

In prior years, insurance was the shocker. This year, it's assessments and tax increases throughout CO.

I'm grateful. I've been very fortunate. Still, seeing some of the price changes taking place, it's like "WTF?!"

Yep, our property taxes went up about 65-70%. Was pretty shocked but with the explosion of the Denver/Boulder area I really am not surprised by it. You can contest it but I am not sure that will make any difference, but it might! I will admit that I am way more frustrated by the daily I-25 backups that occur than having to pay more to live here.

Definitely agree with you on the price changes though. It is expensive but we are very fortunate to have such a beautiful state to drive our cars in.

šŸ”ā˜€

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
This year, it's assessments and tax increases throughout CO.
My nephew just bought a $1.5M house in Fort Collins and the RE tax is $6,500/yr. When I sold my $750,000 house in a Chicago suburb a few years ago the RE tax was $20,000/yr.

Affordability is relative and your state RE taxes are nothing to complain about, as it could be much worse.

At this point for new buyers it really becomes a serious dilemma whether to ever buy a home at all. Just rent

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
My house has been reassessed by the county Assessor 3 times in the past two years. Its ridiculous. The area around me is actually getting worse, but my taxes are going up. Though, nowhere near as bad as what the rest of you are talking about.

Is the *VALUE of my house going up? No.
*house upgrades, local infrastructure, industries, etc.
Is the PRICE of my house going up? Yes.

Price and Value are not equal, they are two completely separate different things that I would argue nobody actually takes into consideration.

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zac
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP; Prior:20 Camaro SS 1LE, 17 GT350

Sponsored

OP
OP
Skye

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Yep. Happy to be here. :like:

I am way more frustrated by the daily I-25 backups
Oh I know, right? I've been very lucky with respect to traffic. I've been interred only a handful of times. šŸ˜

Last edited:

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Weā€™re fortunate here in NM. It canā€˜t go up by more then 3 percent a hear and thereā€™s exemptions in place to completely lock it. I will say your building permit costs in CO are stratospheric to.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Funny how they are fast to "adjust " the value of your property while it is going up, but on the down slide or bottom falling out 2008 and late 2023/24 they drag their feet.
Heck in 2008 when the house was worth 1/2 of what they had it valued at, they said tuff, You can file to have it "looked" into but the one person working that dept. they claimed was out on workers comp. I asked since when, they said 10 months, I said they upped the value 7 months ago, if the one person is out on workers comp. how they do that to the whole town?
Just wait, with brick and mortar retail going under because yoyo's use the online giant's that are funding ai that will cause you to be jobless and homeless. The property tax bill will have to double to cover the losses from drop of taxes from brick and mortar retail .
Your over lords will be named Google and Amazon.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
My nephew just bought a $1.5M house in Fort Collins and the RE tax is $6,500/yr. When I sold my $750,000 house in a Chicago suburb a few years ago the RE tax was $20,000/yr.

Affordability is relative and your state RE taxes are nothing to complain about, as it could be much worse.

At this point for new buyers it really becomes a serious dilemma whether to ever buy a home at all. Just rent
I sold my house during covid when prices went through the ceiling. I walked away with a VERY healthy profit and invested all it. I rent for much less than when I owned. Key is being able to invest the money you save by not owning. I won't be in this current area but 4 or 5 more years so renting works in my situation.

Some rentals will stay low since landlords have pre-covid purchased homes and less people moving around. At least in my area.

The new deal is to move into the basement of one of the 1.5 to 3 million dollar homes for cheap. Great neighborhoods, small rents and minimal bills. Won't work if you have a family of four, but it works for some. So many are wasting money moving into $600,000+ condos. Nice places but after condo fees you eat up any money you could have invested in your future.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I think those statistics are a little misleading for my area. Most of the new construction is homes that are much larger than existing homes, that aren't for sale.

Sponsored

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
I sold my house during covid when prices went through the ceiling. I walked away with a VERY healthy profit and invested all it. I rent for much less than when I owned. Key is being able to invest the money you save by not owning. I won't be in this current area but 4 or 5 more years so renting works in my situation.

Some rentals will stay low since landlords have pre-covid purchased homes and less people moving around. At least in my area.

The new deal is to move into the basement of one of the 1.5 to 3 million dollar homes for cheap. Great neighborhoods, small rents and minimal bills. Won't work if you have a family of four, but it works for some. So many are wasting money moving into $600,000+ condos. Nice places but after condo fees you eat up any money you could have invested in your future.
So when 2024 wipes you out. What then?

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, our property taxes went up about 65-70%. Was pretty shocked but with the explosion of the Denver/Boulder area I really am not surprised by it. You can contest it but I am not sure that will make any difference, but it might! I will admit that I am way more frustrated by the daily I-25 backups that occur than having to pay more to live here.

Definitely agree with you on the price changes though. It is expensive but we are very fortunate to have such a beautiful state to drive our cars in.

šŸ”ā˜€
ohio just proposed 32-42% tax increase across all my local counties. 37% for me, and 42% a few miles away in butler county. brb 5k about to become 7k a year, and my friend who lives 10 minutes from me pays 12k a year, about to be hit with even higher taxes as he owns a few acres.

what sucks is, ohio is going off 2022 house sales alone, and ignoring the 2020/2021 sales data entirely. as they was slumped. it just sucks in general, but im still way ahead than renting. that said, im not happy.

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Sad part is real wages have nowhere near kept pace with increasing home prices. It's not even close -- which is why the "American dream" will never be a reality for many, many people.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
So when 2024 wipes you out. What then?
You donā€™t understand investing.

You donā€™t get wiped out until you sell. I wonā€™t panic because of a downturn. You know, self control. Some donā€™t have itā€¦ see that from some posters.

Iā€™m good even if markets are down for many, many years. Which Iā€™m 100% sure they will be at some time in the future. Structure is importantā€¦ three bucket, for example, might help. If you are working and donā€™t need the money, keeping a hefty emergency fund is another way.

Also depends if you take care of wife/husband, kids, mom/dad, etc. We are all in different situations. My situation allows me to do what Iā€™m doing.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
You donā€™t understand investing.

You donā€™t get wiped out until you sell. I wonā€™t panic because of a downturn. You know, self control. Some donā€™t have itā€¦ see that from some posters.

Iā€™m good even if markets are down for many, many years. Which Iā€™m 100% sure they will be at some time in the future. Structure is importantā€¦ three bucket, for example, might help. If you are working and donā€™t need the money, keeping a hefty emergency fund is another way.

Also depends if you take care of wife/husband, kids, mom/dad, etc. We are all in different situations. My situation allows me to do what Iā€™m doing.
I understand it just fine. It is why even my great grand kids will never be broke.
But when you hold stocks or investments and they go under it is now worthless paper.
The road is going to get very bumpy in late 23 and all of 24.
Sponsored