Terminated

GTFO_0009
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Vehicle(s)
Bagged & Boosted 50th Anniversary
I asked this in my new camera purchase thread, so I will ask here, too :D.

Where do you all host your images that you share online? Photobucket? Imgur? Or?
I really like SmugMug. I think it cost me like $40 for the year, but it keeps any/all of my photos private, and it doesn't seem to ruin my picture quality like other host sites have.
Sponsored

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
More power to anybody that has to deal with shooting weddings!
The shooting isn't too bad. 5-10 hours. What people (clients) don't realize is the 20-30 hours of post work one has to do in order to deliver.

I tend to take 1200 shots at an average wedding (2 shooters) and I try to deliver 400-500 finished shots.

This thread is cool. I love to talk photography with like minded people. I host my shots for sharing on FLICKR.

zacpounds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost
I asked this in my new camera purchase thread, so I will ask here, too :D.

Where do you all host your images that you share online? Photobucket? Imgur? Or?
I host mine through Flickr. They give you 1TB (1,000GB) of storage for free and they hold full size and quality that you can even allow people to download or keep them completely private and retain the rights to as well. Plus you can add them to groups and some like Lower Standards have their own Instagram pages that they will post photos from the group.

DarkSubRosa

GTFO_0027
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / 2023 GT4
The shooting isn't too bad. 5-10 hours. What people (clients) don't realize is the 20-30 hours of post work one has to do in order to deliver.

I tend to take 1200 shots at an average wedding (2 shooters) and I try to deliver 400-500 finished shots.

This thread is cool. I love to talk photography with like minded people. I host my shots for sharing on FLICKR.
I just don't like dealing with people :D

People never realize how many frames get shot vs what they see. I've been a designer for 12 years and been to many a photoshoot and most of my background was with actual film in college and most of my digital experience has more been post production than shooting. I am trying to free up some time to get back into it more and just enjoy it. I've combed through hundreds of shots for just that 1.

I have a flickr page but haven't updated anything on it really in a long long time but it's a decent online host. I have a lot of things I just like to keep tied to whatever forum I'm using for the car stuff like on here or when I was on S2ki.

OP
OP
CompO5.sl0w

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP / 2015 Jeep Rubicon
No problem.

I'll give you a little info on lenses. The F1.8, F4.5-5.6, F4, etc. stands for F-Stop. It tells you how open the aperture is set and how much light the lens is letting in. The wider the aperture, the more light you're letting in through the lens and this allows for a faster shutter speed and sharper images (less camera shake). It also tells you how much of the photo will be in focus. So the lower the F-Stop, the less you will see in focus. The part of the photo that is out of focus is called Bokeh.

Prime lenses are ones that do not zoom and because of that, they have a really low F-Stop which a lot of people like because they are good in low light settings (indoor) and they allow for separation of the subject and background. Getting separation of your subject to me is key because it makes them/it stand out and that is the whole point of a photo.

Wide angle lenses give you a wide view and often causes distortion that, depending on the angle and subject, can make a photo look weird or bizarrely cool. Wide angle lenses are great for tight spaces where you want to see everything but don't have the room to back away from the subject you're shooting. This is why they are good for car shows. Wide angle lenses fall anywhere from about an 8mm-35mm focal range.

On Canon lenses EF, EF-S, and EF-M tells you the kind of mount that the lens has. EF lenses can fit on any Canon DSLR and EF-S lenses are specific to Crop Sensor cameras. EF-M is a mirrorless camera mount. IS stands for Image Stabilization and the letters that fall after that (USM, STM) tell you what focusing motor is in the lens. USM is the quietest of them and stands for Ultrasonic Motor and STM stands for Stepping Motor which is still pretty quiet compared to the basic motor they use on occasion and it doesn't have an abbreviation that is listed on the lens.

Sorry this got so long.

Lightroom is awesome, I prefer it over Photoshop when it comes to processing RAW images but I use both Ps and Lr about 50/50 in my post processing.
No don't apologize one bit. This is exactly what I was looking for! So much great info in this thread already. Thanks for the input man! :cheers:

Learn lightroom 1st. Then photoshop.

Lightroom is just what the "darkroom" was to film in years past. It's target audience is for people who shoot RAW. It is also intended as a catalog for your work.

Photoshop can do everything lightroom can do, but lightroom streams down the work flow for you.

Personally, I use lightroom for 99% of my shots. 1 in 100 then gets imported to photoshop to do "creative" edits like removing a lamp post or making a fat girl skinny.
Thanks man! I shoot both RAW and JPEG. I like to view the JPEG first so I can get a feel for how that particular photo captured without having to open the RAW in Photoshop every time. Although, Lightroom looks to open all the RAW files at once and allow you to scroll through them so I may start that method. There's so much organization in Lightroom it's a little difficult to figure out lol! I'll figure that part out though, just takes some time to play around with it.

Sponsored

phrenetiK

IF YOU QUOTE PICS I H8 U
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaros Race Red
Can you guys nit pick my photos and my lightroom editing? 2nd time ever using my DLSR, shot with the 1.4 50mm lens from canon. manual mode but auto focus.

http://imgur.com/a/kKXdq

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Some cool shots in there! My work computer network can't handle the album at all so I'll have to check them out when I get home.

mjhousto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB, 50 Years AP
Here is one I took last weekend during a wash using the wife's Coolpix P520. It's not a DSLR, but I wanted to get in on this thread as I'm looking to purchase a DSLR camera in the next month or so. I'm currently leaning towards a Nikon D7200 and a 50mm f1.8 lense to get me going. Any suggestions or pointers for a DSLR newbie would be appreciated. Thanks.
DSCN3249 (2).jpg

Diego Narwhal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2015 GT PP
To expand a little on what others have said, the lens aperture is essentially the hole in the lens through which the light passes. The smaller that hole (high aperture numbers), the less light that comes in, and the deeper the depth of field, which is the range of the photo, from front to back, that is in focus. Larger apertures (small numbers) let more light in, but the depth of field is much smaller.

What aperture you choose to use is all about what you want the image to be. If you're looking to highlight a particular point in the shot, or if you're shooting against a background you want to de-emphasize, then a large aperture is the way to go. If you want more of the image in focus, perhaps if the background also helps tell the story that the shot is meant to convey, then you might want a smaller aperture to bring the entire shot into focus. Also remember that any exposure setting is a compromise. If you use a smaller aperture, then you're letting less light in, and in order to compensate for that, you have to change the shutter speed and/or ISO to maintain a similar exposure.

Consider the two shots below. They're basically the same shot, with the difference being that the first one was shot at an aperture of f/1.4, and the bottom one was shot at f/9. You can clearly see how much more of the image is in focus on the bottom shot. The other difference is that the f/1.4 shot uses an ISO of 320, while the f/9 shot required an ISO of 2500 to maintain a similar exposure.

Which is better is simply a matter of what story you're looking to tell...
IMG_0520.jpg
IMG_0521.jpg

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
Here is one I took last weekend during a wash using the wife's Coolpix P520. It's not a DSLR, but I wanted to get in on this thread as I'm looking to purchase a DSLR camera in the next month or so. I'm currently leaning towards a Nikon D7200 and a 50mm f1.8 lense to get me going. Any suggestions or pointers for a DSLR newbie would be appreciated. Thanks.
Get a D7100 instead of a D7200. Save yourself a few hundred dollars.

Same sensor. But, the D7200 has wifi which is more gimmick then useful tool. In order to get the the wifi to work, they had to change magesium parts out to plastic.

Sponsored

Fox-4

Just Lurking!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
'02 Mustang GT, '16 Mustang Ecoboost
Great thread! Maybe this will give me a reason to dust off the trusty Canon and start shooting again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

mjhousto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB, 50 Years AP
Get a D7100 instead of a D7200. Save yourself a few hundred dollars.

Same sensor. But, the D7200 has wifi which is more gimmick then useful tool. In order to get the the wifi to work, they had to change magesium parts out to plastic.
I was originally going to get the 7100 due to the cheaper price, but I noticed that apart from the wifi the 7200 also has a much larger buffer and a larger native ISO range. I figure spending the few hundred extra might be worth it for the extra low light capability.

Last edited:

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I was originally going to get the 7100 due to the cheaper price, but I noticed that apart from the wifi the 7200 also has a much larger buffer and a larger native ISO range. I figure spending the few hundred extra might be worth it for the extra low light capability.
Unless you're going to do some deep space astro-photography, the extra ISO is not required. The D7100's ISO is more than enough. In fact the D5000 series is enough and can be had at great savings. Then put more money towards lenses and get a copy of lightroom.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
The buffer on my 7200 comes in handy when I'm tracking dogs running around at the park. My dad's 7100 would begin to choke after only a few shots at 6fps. Not a huge deal since most of my shooting is of nature and still subjects, but nice to know the camera can handle the extra shots before slowing down.

Edit: I also got a smoking deal on Amazon for the 7200, basically matched the 7100 for just the body.
Sponsored