Sponsored

the new BMW's

Deleted member 35644

This is the last 3 Series I had any use for.

2014-era 6 Series Gran Coupe is pretty good looking, and the new 8 coupe is beautiful, but if they stick their new grille on it, they'll ruin it.

2005 3.jpg
Sponsored

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
Last edited:

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I grew up in era when BMW was THE drivers choice. Those high revving Inline 6's, V8's and V10's were just awe inspiring to a young guy who could only afford a Ford. The E46 M3 CSL is one of my all time favorites, that engine barking back through the carbon inlet manifold is goosebumps stuff for me.

e46.jpg

Save for the M2 and 8 Series, BMW is a shadow of it former self. Sure, the stuff with their twin-turbo V8's is fast, but they sound crap and are just too heavy to be drivers cars. The M2 is the closest to their old ethos.

m2112.jpg

And the 3 Series just too big these days. To be honest, I think Jaguar make a better 3 Series in the form of the XE.

ex1.jpg

We have had an XE in the family for a few years now. For those that have not driven one, do yourself a favor and take one for a test drive. The steering on these is a stand out with perfect weighting and amazing feel. And being a true compact sedan, they feel so agile and responsive. The ride is very well judged, especially considering the low profile tires. And NO stupid styling gimmicks or hideous grill designs, just perfect proportions. So, everything the 3 Series used to be.

IMG_7426.jpg

IMG_7434.jpg

IMG_7430.jpg

Sponsored

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Many of the new car front bumper covers have large atrocious grilles....

That's their Corporate identity now.

Lexus is another with ridiculous front grilles.
They are following the Truck market and designers. Since 2004 it has been who can put a bigger grill on them.
Then it was who could design an uglier truck than the other guy.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This I believe. Yet you have so much knowledge and input on their performance. :clap:

If you have run any they were probably FBO on 93 octane and 14 LBs of boost. :giggle: Considering FBO 335s have run times that would put the stock A10 record to shame.
Carm down fan bois.
Bmw's blow up when raced, Yes they are a fav' for a lemons car, only because it is easy to work on, and the inline six is easy to get in and out while you blow up yet another one.
All street based vehicles, show they were never ment to be see track time for any length (laps)
BMW is no different.

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
It is getting that time to buy myself another nice daily driver. So I made my way to Audi ( my old current daily drive is a Audi), looked around and then went to the local BMW dealership. I have owned two BMW's in my life time and loved them both. But OMG they have designed these things to be the ugliest things on the road. Does anyone like the looks of the new line of BMW's ?
Not sure if you're interested in this but, the 8th gen GTI is coming out late this year. Also the R, but not sure the same time as GTI. The R may feel a lot like your Audi's of the past with the Haldex AWD. Something for your consideration.

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw's blow up when raced
And where exactly have you gained your wealth of knowledge and experience on BMWs? :giggle:
It's actually the exact opposite. You can beat the piss out of a N54 all day and it wont be an issue. They need cooling help like pretty much any forced induction car, but the stock block and internals handle 600+ WHP. We were talking FBO cars which is nothing for a stock engine.

They have issues with water pumps, injectors, fuel pumps, etc. The stock long blocks are pretty bullet proof for a 6 cylinder.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And where exactly have you gained your wealth of knowledge and experience on BMWs? :giggle:
It's actually the exact opposite. You can beat the piss out of a N54 all day and it wont be an issue. They need cooling help like pretty much any forced induction car, but the stock block and internals handle 600+ WHP. We were talking FBO cars which is nothing for a stock engine.

They have issues with water pumps, injectors, fuel pumps, etc. The stock long blocks are pretty bullet proof for a 6 cylinder.
There is no point in argue'n with a fan boi.
Have been at enough track days and events to see how wonderful they are when raced. As our group go help that group with issues, get back out there after fixing their ultra driving machine.
Not picking on BMW's all street based vehicles have these problems when pushed hard for laps.
Most owners of most brands understand this, BMW owners not so much.

Sponsored

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is no point in argue'n with a fan boi.
Have been at enough track days and events to see how wonderful they are when raced. As our group go help that group with issues, get back out there after fixing their ultra driving machine.
Not picking on BMW's all street based vehicles have these problems when pushed hard for laps.
Most owners of most brands understand this, BMW owners not so much.
You mad or something? :angry:
I just responded to your ridiculous comment that BMWs blow up at track events. I've seen no more issues with BMWs than I've seen with GT350s and Boss 302s at the track.
What exactly were you fixing for them at that track?

edit: No need to respond. I see that you never even owned a Mustang or a BMW (who is the fan boi?). :giggle: You pretty much have no experience with either one but yet you have a lot of useless opinions about them. You should check out the ranger or escape forum since you have nothing of value to add here.

Last edited:

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You mad or something? :angry:
I just responded to your ridiculous comment that BMWs blow up at track events. I've seen no more issues with BMWs than I've seen with GT350s and Boss 302s at the track.
What exactly were you fixing for them at that track?

edit: No need to respond. I see that you never even owned a Mustang or a BMW (who is the fan boi?). :giggle: You pretty much have no experience with either one but yet you have a lot of useless opinions about them. You should check out the ranger or escape forum since you have nothing of value to add here.
Reality, and track time. seeing real life tracked cars, and what fails.
Sorry if that offends you.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
The BMW turbo 6 is a very strong engine. It runs hot, so it tends to wear gaskets and seals faster than most. But, it's easy to bump the horsepower and has a very nice 6 speed manual. It's a great driver's car. It just does everything well. You get very comfortable with it. In a very short time, it feels like an old friend.

I'm looking at trading my Mustang GT on an M4 convertible. I don't think it's a great financial decision, but the Mustang seats are causing considerable back issues I never had with my BMW.

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
Speaking of new BMWs... There is a BMW dealership near my house. I would often hear a, "pa pa pa pa pa pa pa pop!" sound, and then when my wife asks me what it is, I told her that it is probably some idiot bouncing their engine off their rev limiter, and making their fart can exhaust backfire on their old "street racer".

And then I was out mowing the lawn last week and I saw a new 4 series in matt wine color that was making the same sound. It looked new. And then I was in traffic and I again saw a new-ish 3 or 4 series (no offense, I think all of them look the same from the rear), and again it was bouncing off the rev limiter but the engine was making the loud, "ratatatatata" backfire.

now the question...
Do people actually think this sounds good??? I think it sounds pretty lame. Granted, my GT will burble and pop, and I happen to like the subtle singular pop, but I just think it seems to childish to be revving the engine against the limiter and making that machine gun/Chinese new year firecracker sound.

Second question. are these cars doing that from the factory or do these people get them tuned?

I ask because there is a BMW dealer literally 3 min away from my house and I even saw a new car with dealer plates and a guy going for a test drive and he was doing that as well. Maybe it was a salesperson doing that to show a customer, but one, it is rather annoying to hear it every other day, and two, I can't hear any engine/exhaust notes over the machine gun fire.

A person I know owns a M6 GC, and that sounds incredible. I was so jealous of the cold start on that car (when I had my EB), but now I could care less, but still I love how that engine sounds. On the smaller 4's around my house bouncing off rev's I can't say I like any of the sounds.

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
are these cars doing that from the factory or do these people get them tuned?
They gave me a new M340 last year as a loaner when they replaced one of the air bags on my 335. It had what I guess you could call a slight burble tune from the factory when the car was in sport mode only. In sport mode it kept the car in a much higher RPM range and It would burble and pop for a couple seconds when you backed off the gas.
Sponsored