Sponsored

The Dyno ‘I Want To Do Donuts’ Plug … ?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
So I am assuming most people know about the dyno plug on the inner fender near the air box - but how much do we actually know about this plug ?

Due to other issues (thanks Ford …) I had my air box out at weekend and took the opportunity to neaten up the rather messy tape / conduit / wiring that’s on the end of the dyno plug.

When I stripped it down, the loom side up to the plug contains four wires / four terminals, but after the plug there is only one wire that simply loops back connecting two of the terminals.

So if unplugging this connections removes all the nannies but also disables the ABS and triggers a dash light, what else was designed to plug into this connection to make use of all four wires and terminals ?

I’m just interested really, it’s not like I have any great plans for it – but I would like to know … :like:

WD :like:
Sponsored

OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
i know mine is a MY17 but the dyno guy just turned off the traction control from the cabin, no unplugging wires in the engine bay. Now, whether he used the trac button on the dash or his laptop to turn something off via OBDC connection I have no idea. I drive with the nannies on but dyno wise, no unplugging cables were required.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
It would appear that pulling the plug does NOT turn off ABS (that will teach me for believing what I read on here
But now you lost 2 critical equations for the ABS to be truly effective:

1. steering angle. No longer takes steering angle measurements. it goes to default (redundancy).
2. Front/rear braking bias. It goes to default (redundancy).

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Steering angle and front / rear bias is getting into stability control, no? To me ABS was simply about locking the brakes or not at any given wheel.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
To me ABS was simply about locking the brakes or not at any given wheel.
Welcome to modern ABS systems, pulling that plug effectively reduces it to 80's tech. I spent 45 minutes reading up on it at my buddies shop.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Right, that’s kinda what im saying. The only data point needed to make ABS work is wheel speed. But it’s splitting hairs, trying to tell where ABS ends and stability control starts.

It’s interesting that this even exists, reminds me of the plug you pull to disable the high voltage system on a BMW (and I’m sure other manufacturers) EV or plug-in hybrid so you can work on it safely. Makes me wonder why Ford would put it on the car, maybe a request from the performance division?
Sponsored