b058038

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
none
After you've done a few oil changes on these perfpack gt's you come to realized its easier to take a little time and punch a hole in the lowest part of mounted filter..drain it out..then shove a rag under the flange and unscrew..
Sometimes we simply forget these tried and true methods, and keep looking for new "tech" since it has to be better, right? If you have the time and patience to drain the filter, this method results in very little mess.
Sponsored

OP
OP
b058038

b058038

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
none
Since the funnel seals to the cover does the displaced air burp back through the oil in the funnel?
If you pour a lot of oil quickly, yep it will burp. But it will flow smoothly if you find a good, steady flow pattern into the funnel. Not having to worry about the funnel slipping out or moving is the biggest advantage for me.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
b058038..a few dozen post in over 2 years? ...how do you restrain yourself?..lol

OP
OP
b058038

b058038

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
none
b058038..a few dozen post in over 2 years? ...how do you restrain yourself?..lol
Haha I got a chuckle out of that one. I spend a silly amount of time reading these forums and I learn a lot. Only when I can add something useful and practical will I actually comment. I bought my '17 on July 4th of that year and I'm now familiar enough with it to make some useful comments.

Dadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium manual
The Motivx funnels rock. I bought a master kit which covers a lot of applications. I just changed the oil in my car today and used the funnel. Start pouring the quart and drop the bottle into the funnel. Bottle drains in about 3 seconds and no drips or mess. Love these funnels and well worth the cost. When I was younger I would never spend money on such a funnel. Now that I am more seasoned convenience has no cost. Anything that makes my life easier gets purchased

Don

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
its easier to take a little time and punch a hole in the lowest part of mounted filter
You know, that's exactly what I'm going to do :D. Of course, after first loosening up the filter some, just to make sure I'll be able to remove it. I typically let the engine cool off a little, before draining the oil. What I'll do with the Bullitt is to poke the hole on the filter right after putting it on the Rhino ramps, and by the time I'm ready to drain the sump (about 15 min), the filter should be basically empty by then. And no mess should occur. We'll see, but at least it should be MUCH less mess. Ha ha. Will probably do it tomorrow, after getting the Steeda goodies to install at the same time. Thank you for the tip :).

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
So being the nerd and engineer that i am I decided to pick one of these funnels up.

First, the part # is MX2306B1 (even though it clearly says MX2306 on the actual funnel in the picture and out of the box.

Second, it showed up fast. I ordered it on Tuesday when I first saw this thread, and had it Thursday morning.

Third, the packaging is really well done. It ships in two pieces both wrapped in plastic so they can adapt the same top to different lower adapters, which is a smart design and good manufacturing:
  • The bottom piece, which is meant to fit the particular car has a very thin o-ring on the top where the blue upper portion of the funnel threads on, and they're really fine and small threads. Immediately I sensed someone could accidentally cross-thread these if they weren't being careful and in a hurry.
  • The botton has a 2-o-ring setup that's obviously meant to seal against the inside of the valve cover where the oil filler cap goes.
  • The lower part is rigid plastic - thick enough where I don't think it would be damaged by heat or by impacts if it was dropped. The upper part is thinner, but not overly flexible. It's just about as flexible as a traditional funnel.
Finally, the fit on the pass side valve cover with the funnel is good. Not excellent, but good. This is because for me the load center above the CPU is on that side and slightly in the way, and the funnel wants to sit tightly on top of it after you screw in the funnel, so I can't screw it all the way flush. It is the right size - I can get it in enough where I don't think it will cause spills.

I'm up for an oil change soon and I'll give it a try. Since I use 5 qt Mobile 1 full synthetic bottles I'm curious to see how it handles that much fluid at once.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I just changed the oil on my car for the first time. Let me go in order. I started by piercing the oil filter at the lowest point, thinking all oil would drain thru there... like somebody posted. WRONG. Only a tiny amount of oil drained in 45 minutes, so don't do it folks. A ton more oil came out when I unscrewed the filter more. I made very little mess, on the flap cover, but it was easy to clean. Next time will make even less mess since I know how much to unscrew it. And will hold the flap with a piece of tape, so it won't get any oil. Draining the oil wasn't that bad by holding the drain plug. Did about 4 qts first, put them in a container, then drained the rest. Will continue doing it that way, rather than buying a giant container. The only thing that I'll do is put it on top of a 2x8, so hot oil doesn't splash all over. It didn't make a big mess at all, but splatter my clothes and the cardboard I used. Again, next time it won't be an issue. And finally, filling the sump with 2 M1 0/30 jugs wasn't an issue at all with my old funnel, so will continue doing it that way.