The 5.0 stranded me on the side of the road today

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6SPD Premium PP1
I have not been having good luck since I bought this beast but I knew going into it it might need some work so been wrenching on it fixing everything I could as I go along.

Anyways it's been running perfectly after few repairs, and maintenance items, and power pack 2 install and at lunch I went to go get some quotes on alignments and camber bolt installs.

My gas was at about a quarter to empty so I checked my distance to empty and it said 35 miles so I started my drive to the gas station. I was almost there and I lost all power and the car started coasting immediately. It was like I ran out of gas but without the engine bucking. Flat road no incline. Pulled it to the side, luckily I wasn't on her freeway since it lost power immediately after a shift. I might not have made it to the side of the road........

So popped the hood checked checked everything I could see nothing's was out of place. Tried to start it a few times and it just cranked strongly but no start. Plenty of battery. Pulled out the obd2 scanner no codes at all.

Called triple AAA to bring me some gas. They only supplied 87 instead of 91. Poured some in the tank and boom started right up........

Dash now reads 74 miles till empty instead of 30. No low fuel indicator and the needle wasn't even close to all the way E.

I'm glad the car started but it's hard to believe I ran out of gas UNLESS the power pack 2 has some kind of safety net to shut the car down if fuel is under a certain level?

Anyways it's still been a blast to drive and mod this car so im not defeated yet just dumbfounded as to what happened.

2015 GT PP1 6SPD, lowered, wheels, powerpack 2, sync 3 are the only upgrades.
Sponsored

15GTPPinCO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 6M
I just recently bought my 2015 GT PP1 6SPD and I can't believe how small they spec'd the gas tank on these vehicles. When I fill up, my trip meter gives me a hair over 200 miles of range on the full tank of 91. Of course I've been driving it a bit on the spirited side, but 200 miles?

OP
OP
Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
I just recently bought my 2015 GT PP1 6SPD and I can't believe how small they spec'd the gas tank on these vehicles. When I fill up, my trip meter gives me a hair over 200 miles of range on the full tank of 91. Of course I've been driving it a bit on the spirited side, but 200 miles?
I have been driving it lightly since the power pack install to allow it time to learn the fuel. But when I fill up it says 250 till empty. I got about 14.7 mpg average and 221 miles (which might not be accurate simce im not sure I reset it last time I topped off) until this happened lol. So you think i actually did run out and the gauges are just too generous?

But why no low fuel warning

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
After I picked up my car last week I was on a desolate stretch of highway. My MTE read 20. Crap. Finally found a gas station. But I've done that a couple times. The gauge seems very accurate. It hits red and alerts at 50 miles.

OP
OP
Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
After I picked up my car last week I was on a desolate stretch of highway. My MTE read 20. Crap. Finally found a gas station. But I've done that a couple times. The gauge seems very accurate. It hits red and alerts at 50 miles.
Well that's not the greatest news then lol. Means something else might be broken. We will see how it drives this weekend.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Reading many threads on here it seems a lot of people have no low fuel warning for some odd reason.

Also found out starting the car with no fuel could damage the fuel pump. Hopefully it didnt damage mine or maybe the pump was the cause of all this. I wasn't getting any bad pump symptoms though.

Robert3487

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Sometime my gas light would come on as early as a little under half a tank lol

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I have been driving it lightly since the power pack install to allow it time to learn the fuel. But when I fill up it says 250 till empty. I got about 14.7 mpg average and 221 miles (which might not be accurate simce im not sure I reset it last time I topped off) until this happened lol. So you think i actually did run out and the gauges are just too generous?

But why no low fuel warning

250 MTE is wrong, if you're getting 14.7MPGs. 14.7 x 14.5 = 213.15 MTE after filling up.

Also, if you just got it, and you're driving waaaaaay harder than the previous owner, that might cause the MTE calculations to be off.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
I never trust the DTE estimate. Could the past owner have monkeyed with the fuel pump? Sounds like the basket could be missing.

How much fuel did it take when you filled up? Close to tank capacity (minus the AAA bump)?

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I'm glad the car started but it's hard to believe I ran out of gas UNLESS the power pack 2 has some kind of safety net to shut the car down if fuel is under a certain level?
I had the PP2 kit on my old 2017 GT for about 2 and a half years and 5,500 miles. I ran it down to about 12 miles or so to empty a couple of times during the time that I owned it. Both times ran fine, and it took just over 15 gallons to fill it up, so it really was about empty.

On both my old 2017 GT and new 2020 GT, the low fuel light comes on at 50 miles to empty. Even my 2018 F-150 the light comes on at 50 miles to empty. After your car ran out of gas, how much did it take to fill up? If it took close to 16 gallons, then you were just out of gas, maybe the computer is having an issue? If it wasn't close to 16 gallons, then you may have a fuel pickup problem.

Doug

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Pardon me if I'm misinformed.
I thought there was an alterablle setting in the BCM/PCM/ or some module that calculates the DTE based on a formula/ algorithm that uses the tire size as a variable. Perhaps you're not running a standard size tire or someone has altered the tire size in the computer.
My opinion is that you simply ran out of fuel and that the car's calculation of DTE is off for some reason.

OP
OP
Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Pardon me if I'm misinformed.
I thought there was an alterablle setting in the BCM/PCM/ or some module that calculates the DTE based on a formula/ algorithm that uses the tire size as a variable. Perhaps you're not running a standard size tire or someone has altered the tire size in the computer.
My opinion is that you simply ran out of fuel and that the car's calculation of DTE is off for some reason.
Actually I am not running the standard tire size. I had to recalculate it with the power pack 2. I was at 774 revs er rear tire. And adjusted it to 732 the lowest on 275/40/20 rear tires. Maybe that could be it?

This was done halfway through the current tank too

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
On both my old 2017 GT and new 2020 GT, the low fuel light comes on at 50 miles to empty. Even my 2018 F-150 the light comes on at 50 miles to empty. After your car ran out of gas, how much did it take to fill up? If it took close to 16 gallons, then you were just out of gas, maybe the computer is having an issue? If it wasn't close to 16 gallons, then you may have a fuel pickup problem.
Agree with this. All the other suggestions (driving style, tire radius, etc.) may affect estimated time to empty (drive it on the track, and you may well get the "low fuel" warning even with the tank more than half full), but that doesn't matter here. Real test is how much fuel it takes to fill the tank up.

- If display shows a quarter is left in the tank, but you can fill 16 gallons, it must mean something causes the display to show wrong info regarding amount of fuel left in the tank. Should show almost empty, but for some reason, shows it's a quarter full.

- If display shows a quarter left in the tank, and you can only fill 12 gallons, fuel estimate is correct, tank is not empty, need to figure out why the fuel is not being pumped out from the fuel tank and into the cylinders.

OP
OP
Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Agree with this. All the other suggestions (driving style, tire radius, etc.) may affect estimated time to empty (drive it on the track, and you may well get the "low fuel" warning even with the tank more than half full), but that doesn't matter here. Real test is how much fuel it takes to fill the tank up.

- If display shows a quarter is left in the tank, but you can fill 16 gallons, it must mean something causes the display to show wrong info regarding amount of fuel left in the tank. Should show almost empty, but for some reason, shows it's a quarter full.

- If display shows a quarter left in the tank, and you can only fill 12 gallons, fuel estimate is correct, tank is not empty, need to figure out why the fuel is not being pumped out from the fuel tank and into the cylinders.
I dont remember exactly what it took to fill it up but I think its said 14 something. Plus what triple a gave me so maybe i did run out. I will pay better attention next time if it happens again, i was in a rush to get to the gas station and gi back to work.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
I dont remember exactly what it took to fill it up but I think its said 14 something. Plus what triple a gave me so maybe i did run out. I will pay better attention next time if it happens again, i was in a rush to get to the gas station and gi back to work.
Fill up and then drive to half a tank and fill up again. Should take roughly half capacity. Just make sure to be consistent at the pump.

Should get you close and won't risk running out.
Sponsored