Sponsored

Testing the Limits of Your Stock Motor Coyote

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Thanks , yah I don't care about dyno numbers, rather be safe than sorry. Whats the temp IAT2 that I should not floor it at or be worried when it reaches?

Assuming you are talking about the gauge in the car.
Most tuners put protections in place where it starts to yank timing when the IAT2's get above a certain threshold. The Roush tunes for instance are notorious for this, simply because the cooling in their early packages wasn't the greatest so driver's would actually feel the car turn to a wet noodle once it got hot.

You should have these discussions with your tuner and communicate clearly how you intend to use the car.

The tune can take certain risks for instance if it's just going to be a drag strip queen that gets taken off the trailer, does a burn out, a 1/4 rip and then gets to cool back down.

Compare and contrast that with a car that you intend to do extended track/road race type sessions where you're bouncing between 3k-8k rpms for 30 minute sessions.

Or street race/roll race type scenarios where you're out late on a highway doing multiple back to back to back pulls on a hot night.

If you're just going to do cold/fresh single rips occasionally, they can set up the tune more toward the edge. If you want it to be a whenever, wherever safe tune, they can do that, it just might not be the max/hero outputs most guys are looking for.
Sponsored

Kane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Most tuners put protections in place where it starts to yank timing when the IAT2's get above a certain threshold. The Roush tunes for instance are notorious for this, simply because the cooling in their early packages wasn't the greatest so driver's would actually feel the car turn to a wet noodle once it got hot.

You should have these discussions with your tuner and communicate clearly how you intend to use the car.

The tune can take certain risks for instance if it's just going to be a drag strip queen that gets taken off the trailer, does a burn out, a 1/4 rip and then gets to cool back down.

Compare and contrast that with a car that you intend to do extended track/road race type sessions where you're bouncing between 3k-8k rpms for 30 minute sessions.

Or street race/roll race type scenarios where you're out late on a highway doing multiple back to back to back pulls on a hot night.

If you're just going to do cold/fresh single rips occasionally, they can set up the tune more toward the edge. If you want it to be a whenever, wherever safe tune, they can do that, it just might not be the max/hero outputs most guys are looking for.
Great details, thank you for the info.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Honestly on e85 there isn’t much reason to worry with timing vs charge temp or even load. Pump gas is a very different story.
For low(er) and pedestrian type setups I agree, but E85 has it's limits just like 93 and when you're out near the edges of the fuel it becomes temp sensitive just like 93.

But yeah, if someone is running like 14 lbs or lower, it's probably way less of a concern vs 93.

Sponsored

Joshinator99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium, 2017 Camaro 2SS
I’d like to see what evidence we have that points to that, especially on a gen3. The effective octane is 120+.
Yeah the DI plus E85 means IAT2 would have to be insane before I even thought about pulling power. On my DI Camaro I pull 1 degree of timing at 155 deg IAT2 (which I never see with the Whipple 3.0) and honestly I’m sure I could zero that table out. Alcohol needs more heat to vaporize correctly so the fascination with IAT2 on a DI & E85 motor is not worth the effort and is counterproductive.