Testing cold air box function!

David Vizard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David Vizard
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ecoboost Mustang
I don't know if helping you guys concerning the true functionality of your cold air boxes is going to get me a lot of flack so I will be less obvious here and tell you my YouTube channel has a 4 part series on PowerTec 10 testing the effectiveness of such. Which is best? The one I show you how to build is very much the one!
David Vizard
Sponsored

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
PMAS Fenderwell cai works great for me. Been flow tested as one of the best flowing on the market. Doesn't heat soak as bad as any box that sits in the car, and gets iats around 3-6 above ambient.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
David Vizard
Why don't you ever show the proof to your claims ?
Something simple like:

~ ice water in a foam cup
~ice water in a plastic cup
~ice water in an aluminum cup

The winner here would be the foam, followed by aluminum, then plastic in keeping the water cold.

Now try:

~hot water in a foam cup
~hot water in a plastic cup
~hot water in a aluminum cup

again, foam wins on keeping it hot, followed by aluminum, then plastic.

So foam, obvious winner right ? Not so fast.

Once a plastic/metal wrapped over foam gets heat soaked, it takes a long time to cool, due to the foam unable to transfer the heat to air quickly.
Once metal gets heat soaked, do to it's thickness, it takes a long time to cool, due to heat transfer from metal to air.
Once plastic gets heat soaked, do to the properties listed above, it cools much faster than foam or aluminum, as it transfers heat to air quickly.

So in terms of heating up quickly, plastic is the winner. As far as cooling off quickly, plastic is the clear winner.

But take this with a grain of salt, as I'm no thermodynamic engineer.

SH!FT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium 6MT VB
PMAS Fenderwell cai works great for me. Been flow tested as one of the best flowing on the market. Doesn't heat soak as bad as any box that sits in the car, and gets iats around 3-6 above ambient.
I'm running the same. I want to improve their flimsy block off plate

OP
OP

David Vizard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David Vizard
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ecoboost Mustang
Why don't you ever show the proof to your claims ?
Something simple like:

~ ice water in a foam cup
~ice water in a plastic cup
~ice water in an aluminum cup

The winner here would be the foam, followed by aluminum, then plastic in keeping the water cold.

Now try:

~hot water in a foam cup
~hot water in a plastic cup
~hot water in a aluminum cup

again, foam wins on keeping it hot, followed by aluminum, then plastic.

So foam, obvious winner right ? Not so fast.

Once a plastic/metal wrapped over foam gets heat soaked, it takes a long time to cool, due to the foam unable to transfer the heat to air quickly.
Once metal gets heat soaked, do to it's thickness, it takes a long time to cool, due to heat transfer from metal to air.
Once plastic gets heat soaked, do to the properties listed above, it cools much faster than foam or aluminum, as it transfers heat to air quickly.

So in terms of heating up quickly, plastic is the winner. As far as cooling off quickly, plastic is the clear winner.

But take this with a grain of salt, as I'm no thermodynamic engineer.
Your opening line! Why don't you ever show the proof to your claims ?

What the hell are you talking about!!!! Check your facts on tests as you are so far off the mark it's almost unbelievable!!!!
DV

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

David Vizard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David Vizard
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ecoboost Mustang
As in in car tests. There's a big difference between practical & theory.
You are not telling me anything I do not know and practice religiously. I test on the flow bench. the dyno and the track as well as buy equipment for test that does not fall into the scope of the above. Please do you homework before responding.
DV

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Please do you homework before responding.
Right. Didn't see no track tests for this video. And I'll school you right now: on a turbo app, the incoming air temp to the turbo amounts to FA.

OP
OP

David Vizard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David Vizard
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ecoboost Mustang
first point- you must not have looked hard enough!

The air temp at the turbo does affect output but you are right, it is very minimal until the temperatures are really much lower.
When I was a consultant for Mountune racing in Europe we found that when the intercooler was really inadequate air temps made a small but measurable differed but fuel tempt could, when reduced by 50 of so F make as much as 25 hp. We cleaned up the British Touring Car Championship that year with two entries. Finished first and second.
DV
Sponsored