Sponsored

Test Drove 16 GT w/PP and 16 SS, Now What?

daytripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13GT500,'15 GT
I would ONLY get the Mustang GT 5.0, especially since it loves to rev, with a manual tranny.
Now the reports of too many owners having problems with their Getrag 6 speed troubles me.

I really appreciate all the feedback!!!

My background includes growing up with only GM cars.
And with the GM experience came just too many problems...ironically, my brother got a new Cadillac in the early 80s with cylinder deactivation and it was a nightmare.
So I have never owned or leased a GM product.
I did have a '94 SHO manual (GREAT Yamaha V6, but so many other problems) and a '99 SVT Cobra manual (some problems that included the fact that Ford overestimated the hp numbers on the hand built V8).
But I have driven mostly foreign cars from toyota, nissan, infiniti, kia and a tuned '07 BMW 335i sport manual.
I wanted to get an American car for so long but my disappointing experiences kept haunting me.

Well, now I'm interested again and am open minded to either coupe (I've never been a Mopar fan).

This car will be my daily driver, about 30/70 city/hwy, 4 seasons and including days that have many short rides.

So back to "Now What?"
Is this a joke? A GT with an auto will ,of course rev just like and just as much as an old fashioned manual. I traded a '12 SS Camaro M-6 for my '15 GT. It is a much better car in all ways.
After purchasing my '13 GT500,mostly because it had 662hp,(who doesn't need that?) I found out that it was a great car for any use. When The S-550's came out I went and looked at some and decided to order one. I am very happy I did.The Camaro was underwhelming. I've had 3 new ones. I doubt I'll ever buy another GM car.
Good luck on your choice but don't assume because the auto SS was likeable ,that an auto,3.55 GT wouldn't be.
P1040539.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

4wheelpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Kia Optima SX
Is this a joke? A GT with an auto will ,of course rev just like and just as much as an old fashioned manual. I traded a '12 SS Camaro M-6 for my '15 GT. It is a much better car in all ways.
After purchasing my '13 GT500,mostly because it had 662hp,(who doesn't need that?) I found out that it was a great car for any use. When The S-550's came out I went and looked at some and decided to order one. I am very happy I did.The Camaro was underwhelming. I've had 3 new ones. I doubt I'll ever buy another GM car.
Good luck on your choice but don't assume because the auto SS was likeable ,that an auto,3.55 GT wouldn't be.
I was not implying that the manual revs differently than the automatic.
My point is that I prefer a manual tranny in a car whose engine loves to rev, as opposed to an engine with great low end torque but a lower redline. In which case I would prefer an automatic---just personal preference.

I considered the 8S SS because of the cylinder deactivation. But after driving it I found that the paddle shifters have a delay that I find unacceptable.

Sorry to read that you had so many bad experiences with GM.
GM quality has been a concern of mine since the early 80s. And still is.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
I was not implying that the manual revs differently than the automatic.
My point is that I prefer a manual tranny in a car whose engine loves to rev, as opposed to an engine with great low end torque but a lower redline. In which case I would prefer an automatic---just personal preference.

I considered the 8S SS because of the cylinder deactivation. But after driving it I found that the paddle shifters have a delay that I find unacceptable.

Sorry to read that you had so many bad experiences with GM.
GM quality has been a concern of mine since the early 80s. And still is.

reliability - the big three muscle cars are not japanese cars
transmission - manual is more fun, unless ...
fuel - auto + cyl deactivation will save you $, unless ...

ah, you got to love the angst and indecision that comes when making a big car purchase

Pros: blah blah blah
Cons: blah blah blah

:frusty:

:lol:

Zomies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JK & 2010 Hyundai Accent
American car reliability has improved a lot since the 70's and 80's. out of all the american cars i have had the issues were very minor. Hell the only issue i ever had with my 1999 GT was a bad light switch.

But than again a 15 Mustang GT a test drove last summer idled at 0 and hit the rev limiter at 6k on the tachometer. The 16 2SS I test drove had automatic transmission issues which might have just been calibration issues.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
if i was buying a car today, it would be a camaro SS. i suggest you do the same.

don't come into a mustang forum to ask which one you should get, because clearly the mustang fanbois will come out and say that the camaro is the worst hunk of metal ever created.
Im sure any GM dealer would be happy to take that shit pile heap of a GT your driving around in trade. :doh:I'm a fan boy. I plan on keeping my GT.

Sponsored

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
i'm not willing to take a hit on a trade, that's why i'll settle for my GT a while longer.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
i'm not willing to take a hit on a trade, that's why i'll settle for my GT a while longer.
If you settle with it for another 2-3 years, the Mustang will [likely] eclipse the C*****, and then you can stick with Ford.

Of course, Chevrolet might put out a 7th gen that's better [again], then you'll be back to square one ...

:lol:

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
yep, we'll see what happens when im car shopping again in 3-4 years.

i'm rooting for ford of course, im not exactly happy with even considering purchasing a car from government motors

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
BTW, the salesman at Ford said that the Mustang has an eclutch. But getting the suggestion to remove the return spring from several members seems to contradict this.
Salesmen! Might be nice if they knew their product. It's a plain old hydraulic clutch.

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
I don't understand how folks are getting 21mpg combined out of their GT/PPs. I generally drive like a grandma with a rough 50/50 mix of highway/city, and I only get 18mpg.

Harrumph.

Sponsored

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Several days ago I test drove an SS with the manual transmission because it was the first SS in the area. It feels very similar to the manual in the S550.
I considered and drove the 8S in the SS because it has more speeds and cylinder deactivation. But the paddle shifters have a delay that is unacceptable to me. So, if I go with the SS, it will be a manual.

I have not driven an automatic S550. I would only order the manual.
Why would you not at least drive the automatic Mustang? It is a great transmission and the paddle shifters are excellent. BTW, for the kind of driving you do- mostly hwy, you would probably like the non PP suspension better. I drove both and bought the non PP for the better ride quality and the brakes on a GT are more than adequate.