Sponsored

Test Drove 16 GT w/PP and 16 SS, Now What?

4wheelpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Kia Optima SX
Glad to be here and asking for your thoughts on my decision to get a 2016 Mustang GT 5.0 manual with PP or a 2016 Camaro SS 1SS with auto and Magna ride (have not driven one with Magna ride yet).
(As a frame of reference, I've owned a few performance cars like 1994 SHO, 1999 SVT Cobra, 2007 BMW 335i 6sp sport).

During test drives the suspensions of both cars seem "jiggly" and not buttoned down, even on good roads.

I hope to drive an SS with the Magnetic ride to find out if this technology tips the scales in favor the Camaro.

I liked the Mustang a lot but had a hard time getting used to the clutch. I couldn't get a feel for the point of engagement.

How do owners of the manual trans 5.0 like the clutch after using it for a while?
Any specific recommendations for buttoning down the suspension, and cost?

Also, some dealers in my area are offering nice discounts on the Fastback 5.0, which might end up being the deciding factor.

Thanks!
Sponsored

combustor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2016 GT350
Glad to be here and asking for your thoughts on my decision to get a 2016 Mustang GT 5.0 manual with PP or a 2016 Camaro SS 1SS with auto and Magna ride (have not driven one with Magna ride yet).
(As a frame of reference, I've owned a few performance cars like 1994 SHO, 1999 SVT Cobra, 2007 BMW 335i 6sp sport).

During test drives the suspensions of both cars seem "jiggly" and not buttoned down, even on good roads.

I hope to drive an SS with the Magnetic ride to find out if this technology tips the scales in favor the Camaro.

I liked the Mustang a lot but had a hard time getting used to the clutch. I couldn't get a feel for the point of engagement.

How do owners of the manual trans 5.0 like the clutch after using it for a while?

Also, some dealers in my area are offering nice discounts on the Fastback 5.0, which might end up being the deciding factor.

Thanks!
Clutch needs to have the "assist" spring removed and then it feels like a normal clutch with great feedback. Takes less than a minute, best mod you can make! The magnetorheological dampers are world beaters in the GT350, I don't think you'll find them wanting in the Camaro.

DaUnit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP Shadow Black

Thanks!
Glad to hear you're considering a 5.0 but how could you not get used to the clutch? It's ridiculously easy to engage, maybe you should try again and adjust the seats or something... This is crazy talk.... :crazy:

krahooligan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lowering springs. BMR cradle lock out kit. Diff Bushings. sway bars. Spend less than 500 dollars on the suspension and youll be good.
the clutch gets better after you rip the clutch spring out and with time. waiting for mine to go out so I can put a new clutch in.

I also have a clutch extension pedal so I can sit where I want and get full disengagement from the clutch too.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
FYI, hold on tight, this will get a little crazy in here :)

Oh and welcome.

First, do you want a manual or an auto, I'd figure you'd have a preference right up front (looks like you've owned a few manuals).

The clutch is fine, there's an assist spring that creates a non-linear feel, it removes in about 2 minutes and that makes a huge difference. I removed mine within 24 hours of ownership and it feels pretty great (relative to multiple Vettes, an S2K, OEM and [beefy] aftermarket setups).

Are you looking at Premium GTs? That makes a much more attractive "Grand Touring" car, the much better display/Sync 3, lighting options, etc.

My GTPP convertible feels pretty solid, but like any of the cars you've owned, there are aftermarket options that will dial it in even better, and you probably know the routine: springs, shocks, various suspension "stability" options like rear end cradles, the prices are pretty reasonable as this is a mass produced domestic.

Sponsored

OP
OP

4wheelpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Kia Optima SX
Glad to hear you're considering a 5.0 but how could you not get used to the clutch? It's ridiculously easy to engage, maybe you should try again and adjust the seats or something... This is crazy talk.... :crazy:
It's about a lack of feel of a friction point of engagement/clutch take up.

Zomies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JK & 2010 Hyundai Accent
I am in the same boat as you with the GT PP or 1SS. My biggest factor is the fact that you can get a GT PP premium (because of discounting) for less than a 1SS.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
After all I read, I think if somebody is looking for a better car, choice of Camaro is pretty clear. Unless the price becomes a consideration...

Clutch definitely could be better without the need of taking the spring out.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

ssyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' Competition Orange GT - PP/Recaros
As mentioned above, theres a clutch spring. Yank that out and its much better.

As someone who does road course and can rev-match and heel-toe, the clutch was also a little tough to drive prior to removing the spring.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
As others have said, take the clutch assist spring out and it's excellent. You can easily feel the bite point.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I'd also add that there are clear differences in the design, regardless of both being 2+2, modern muscle cars. I haven't had a chance to compare both in premium convertibles, but based on photos, I find the Mustang the way better looking of the two (coupe and convertible), and outside of a few tenths that aren't relevant on the street, the looks is by a large margin my deciding factor (I also have some personal reasons for not going with a Chevy this pass, but not relevant to this discussion).

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
I felt the same way about the clutch but instead I left it alone in a few days it never bothered me leaving it stock. I also knew that I would be replacing it and I am since the car is now SCed and won't handle the HP. Same with the shocks a bit floaty with the lowered springs but once Bilstiens are available I'll be changing those. I have not found any reason to change anything else in the suspension.

OP
OP

4wheelpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Kia Optima SX
FYI, hold on tight, this will get a little crazy in here :)

Oh and welcome.

First, do you want a manual or an auto, I'd figure you'd have a preference right up front (looks like you've owned a few manuals).

The clutch is fine, there's an assist spring that creates a non-linear feel, it removes in about 2 minutes and that makes a huge difference. I removed mine within 24 hours of ownership and it feels pretty great (relative to multiple Vettes, an S2K, OEM and [beefy] aftermarket setups).

Are you looking at Premium GTs? That makes a much more attractive "Grand Touring" car, the much better display/Sync 3, lighting options, etc.

My GTPP convertible feels pretty solid, but like any of the cars you've owned, there are aftermarket options that will dial it in even better, and you probably know the routine: springs, shocks, various suspension "stability" options like rear end cradles, the prices are pretty reasonable as this is a mass produced domestic.
I prefer a manual transmission and would get the manual Mustang but here is the rub....IF I go with the SS, I wanted to get the automatic as it has a few advantages. It's an 8 speed, remote start (same as Mustang) which is a nice feature and cylinder deactivation.
BUT, I just drove an automatic SS and the paddle shifters are surprisingly slow to shift!!!

BTW, the salesman at Ford said that the Mustang has an eclutch. But getting the suggestion to remove the return spring from several members seems to contradict this.

And yes, I would definitely get the Premium GT.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
if Camaro | Challenger offered better (outward) visibility, I would have been tempted. I live in a heavy traffic area, and more visibility is better.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Clutch spring, that's why.
Sponsored