Test drive

1969page

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Toyota iq
Hi all this might be a stupid question to a lot of people but I will ask anyway.

I will be looking at purchasing a mustang in the near future but would like a drive in one to see how it feels . As anyone just gone to the dealer knowing full well you ain’t going to buy the car and only to test drive it .
I always feel I am wasting the dealers time

mike
Sponsored

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
Just tell the salesman what you said here. Tell him your test driving different cars and will not be buying today. Then get quiet.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
You're intending buying a Mustang. Go test drive one :like:

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Hi all this might be a stupid question to a lot of people but I will ask anyway.

I will be looking at purchasing a mustang in the near future but would like a drive in one to see how it feels . As anyone just gone to the dealer knowing full well you ain’t going to buy the car and only to test drive it .

mike
Of course. Don't worry about wasting the dealers time, they are untimately there to sell cars for Ford. I wouldn't say anything other than you're interested in a Mustang but would like to test drive one. Test drive when dry and make sure you're in sport + mode

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
i test drove an auto Mustang because I wanted to see what they were like and decided the 6spd auto wasn't for me, from a different garage drove a manual convertible despite knowing I wasn't getting a soft top but wanted to drive a manual box to see what it was like and 2wks later bought a manual coupe from the garage I test drove the soft top. Defo go to the dealer and have a drive, even if you dont buy that car you might buy another example they get in within the next few weeks / months.

Sponsored

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
This is why they have test drives. It's no different to the changing rooms in clothes shops :like:

Lowrider Lincoln

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang - Shadow Edition, Triple Yellow '72 Lincoln - Lowrider '72 Gran Torino Sport '79 Firebird
Me too. Just went down to Ford showroom and sat in a Mustang they had in. No intention of buying one at that time. I was only there to book the pickup in for service. Salesman came round asked me if I liked it? I replied how I thought the interior was a bit plasticy and that it wasn't anywhere as desirable as an old classic Mustang! He asks me if I wanna test drive, why not I thought. That was a new 6 speed manual GT. Despite the cheap plasics I was impressed how a modern mustang drove, road presence, image and sound. I had reset the trip counter etc and got 20mpg on a 20 mile test drive. Afterwards he asked me if i liked it enough to purchase, I told him I wanted to compare an auto which they didn't have in. Plus I wasn't in a financle position at that moment to comit to buy. No problem he says, that's what demo cars are for. I then drove a 6 speed auto, then an ecoboost, then a convertable at a couple of other dealerships, they where also fine with a no sale, gave them my number but they havn't pestered me since. Ended up buying an ex-demo a few weeks later. Love it :like:

Symone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
2021 mach1 grabber yellow A10

mike
That’s what the demo cars are for , some dealers are more willing you may need to book a test drive, I’ve even done in US when facelift model had just come out there before it was available in U.K. took a GT Auto 10speed and a Eco at different dealers, no point buying a car you don’t know nothing about.
Do your homework and read up about the model your thinking of as a lot of dealers don’t have a clue (it’s just a car to some) as some of the crap they tell you isn’t even available on U.K. cars

Quattrodave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
M140i, X5 40d, Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

mike
When I was looking at buying a new car in 2016 I'd narrowed it down to a mustang gt and a bmw m140i.

BMW gave me an afternoon unattended to get familiar with the car and were happy to talk discount.
Eastleigh Ford gave me a 7 mile attended trip mainly on a heavily congested M27 and refused so much as a penny off,

Guess which I chose!

Fast forward 3 years and I call up Port Solent ford and tell them I want a half day with a mustang and explained my previous experience didn't give me a chance to learn and love the car and that at the end of the drive I'll need time to think about it before committing to a purchase.

The sales guy had to escalate to the branch manager as it was "highly unusual" for them but agreed. I bought a new mustang less than 3 months later!

Oh and I am one of "those" guys. Merrily walking into all types of dealerships and gets test drives, usually extended ones and mashes the biscuits and tea to boot!

Stellify78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC40
I popped into my local Ford dealer yesterday to view their Edition 55. I got talking to the receptionist and she asked would I like a test drive in a Mustang.

At first I said no, explaining I am not in the position to purchase a car yet and didn't want to waste anyones time. Her reply was “there is no such thing as wasting anyones time, you need to drive the car to see if you like it and when your time comes you will know if you want one or not.”

I managed to test drive an Orange 2.3 ecoboost (first drive in a mustang) and I must say I loved it. In my opinion the car isn’t as wide as people say, the 2.3 was nippy enough, it has a nice note from the exhaust. The interior is well finished, spacious and its a comfy cruiser too.

So if you get the chance for a test drive take it :)
Sponsored