Sponsored

Anyone else waiting for a test drive?

McXtravert

Threads
Reaction score
Cambridgeshire, formerly Aberdeen, Scotland
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT - Competition Orange
I'm in the market right now for a new hot hatch (test drove the new Type R and Golf R) but waiting to sample the Mustang before I take the plunge on a decision. My local dealer (People's Edinburgh) hopes to have two for test drives in late October/early November.

Anyone else in the same boat in waiting?

The Golf for me, despite a cracking car and good lease deals about is plain looks wise. Type R is different that is for sure but the Mustang just had that little bit of unique 'wow' factor to set it apart.

I'm looking at the EB as it will be a daily driver and I have to be relatively smart - I can stomach 30MPG, 15 on the other hand...

If the Mustang ticks the box it will be ordered and I've already picked out some mods for it! :cheers:
Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Anyone else in the same boat in waiting?
Join the queue! We are all desperate on here for a test drive but realistically we will all be test driving our own cars! Take one for a spin for sure though...your only downside will be about a years wait!

Gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Nah. I bought my current car, a Focus RS, the same way. Endless waiting. You'd think I learn!

In the end I know it's going to drive well and I know I'm going to love it. It's just one of those things you know. It's not an unknown quantity, it's a Mustang. You know what to expect, sort of.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I am waiting on Peoples Edinburgh for a test drive however my order has been in since February. It's not like I'm gonna hate it...been waiting for one since like forever :D

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I'm in the market right now for a new hot hatch (test drove the new Type R and Golf R) but waiting to sample the Mustang before I take the plunge on a decision. My local dealer (People's Edinburgh) hopes to have two for test drives in late October/early November.
Actually interesting that they told you it could be early November for the demonstrator. They told me there'd be one in before mine was delivered which they said was still on track for mid-November. Now I took my delivery date with a pinch of salt. You as a potential customer are likely to get the more accurate information so i'd say its likely the demos will arrive early November with the first batch of customer cars and my car will arrive January/February as I suspected, and was originally told on my order date.

Sponsored

OP
OP
McXtravert

McXtravert

Threads
Reaction score
Cambridgeshire, formerly Aberdeen, Scotland
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT - Competition Orange
Actually interesting that they told you it could be early November for the demonstrator. They told me there'd be one in before mine was delivered which they said was still on track for mid-November. Now I took my delivery date with a pinch of salt. You as a potential customer are likely to get the more accurate information so i'd say its likely the demos will arrive early November with the first batch of customer cars and my car will arrive January/February as I suspected, and was originally told on my order date.
From reading up, it seems delivery dates are a huge issue! It does put a dampner on things a little. I can wait 9 months max... a longer wait and hmmmm.

Word from the dealership (Marc) was 2x 5.0 GTs demonstrators - think he was able to even tell me the colours but I can't remember them! :frusty: Talk of an open evening etc also which would coincide with first batch deliveries. I've asked to be kept in the loop and would happily travel.

Jimtasteek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Giulietta 2jdtm
I was thinking of charging for 'test drives' when mine finally arrives.
Maybe set up on a beech near the other pony rides...

Gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I was thinking of charging for 'test drives' when mine finally arrives.
Maybe set up on a beech near the other pony rides...
Set up a stand on the beach that says

"Line Lock - 20 Euros"

:headbang:

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
From reading up, it seems delivery dates are a huge issue! It does put a dampner on things a little. I can wait 9 months max... a longer wait and hmmmm.

Word from the dealership (Marc) was 2x 5.0 GTs demonstrators - think he was able to even tell me the colours but I can't remember them! :frusty: Talk of an open evening etc also which would coincide with first batch deliveries. I've asked to be kept in the loop and would happily travel.
Latest word from Ford is that they're building more of them to cope with greater than expected demand. Whether that means they'll build them faster is anyone's guess but you would imagine so. They appear to be delivering around 2000 of them now rather than the original 1200. One of the guys who ordered towards the end of July was given a Q1 delivery estimate.

I placed my order with Mark also. Got invited to an evening at Peoples Merseyside a few months back but keen as I am I wasn't trekking all the way there :) Would go to one in Edinburgh.

Travel Lad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EB Fastback
I'm in the market right now for a new hot hatch (test drove the new Type R and Golf R) but waiting to sample the Mustang before I take the plunge on a decision. My local dealer (People's Edinburgh) hopes to have two for test drives in late October/early ! :cheers:
I've ordered from People's as well in Jan this year.

Agree you may be about a year from order to getting one but you are looking at two completely levels of car. The Golf and Civic are hatchbacks & Mustang a large two door coupe - no way are they are driving the same. Think about comparing your golf & type R to an Audi A5 to give you the visual size comparison. Quite a difference so difficult to compare like for like as the smaller cars will take most of the performance and handling challenges, however or should I say HOWEVER, they have absolutely NONE of the presence of a Mustang. Hatchbacks are 10 a penny but gorgeous sleek even exotic styled muscle cars are few and far between. You are always going to get noticed in a Mustang and of course you do have the 300 ponies to push you along when required.

On this forum there is no question and no doubt about it the Mustang rules - full stop, never mind the test drive, if you need one its not the car for you:headbang:

Last edited:

Sponsored

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yeah, if you can't decide between a hot hatch and a mustang, then my guess would be that the hot hatch is probably the right car for you for a number of reasons but mostly cos you ain't feelin' it like the rest of us.

That said, if you can get a look at one in the flesh or, even better, a test drive then you'll know straight away if you want one.

NornIron91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Yeah, if you can't decide between a hot hatch and a mustang, then my guess would be that the hot hatch is probably the right car for you for a number of reasons but mostly cos you ain't feelin' it like the rest of us.

That said, if you can get a look at one in the flesh or, even better, a test drive then you'll know straight away if you want one.
I actually had a deposit down on the Focus RS before I changed my mind and ordered a Mustang.

Gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I actually had a deposit down on the Focus RS before I changed my mind and ordered a Mustang.
I was in this exact same spot. I have an '03 RS, so the incentive to 'stay with the brand' was very strong. The turnaround for me came when I realized that all EU Mustangs would come with the equivalent of the performance pack, and that Ford were probably going to stuff some actual performance into this, and not just make it into a stylish cruiser car.

That, coupled with the 5 doors on the new RS and its sheer size increase over the Mk1 model I have, made me realize that if I was going big anyway, I might as well go all the way.

I haven't really regretted it since, though I'm sure I'll glance jealously at my AWD brethren as they slither about with their drift mode.

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
I really wouldn't hold out on dealers getting demo vehicles any time soon. My car and a few others on here are built and waiting for the trip across the pond. My dealer has 2 demo vehicles on order, as of last week one was is segmentation, the other still in serialization. I.e nowhere near built. It's taken a good 3 weeks to fully complete my car, the boat leaves around 18th Sept with delivery 4th Nov now. I think you're easily looking early Dec for demo cars.

Agree with other comments though if youre trying to decide between a German bore wagon, a Japanese rice cake or American muscle then the Mustang isn't for you. Nobody should have to decide on a Mustang, there is no choice :)

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Since placing my order I find myself in a rather unfamiliar situation. Don't really do envy - I tend to accept that I have what I can realistically afford and want - but in the past I have looked at other cars (M3, Audi RS models, etc) and thought that maybe one day... Mustang didn't feature as I've never been in the position to be able to justify the impracticality of a V8 powered left-hooker.

Now however, the rest are all just cars. Don't want an Aston, not interested. Only one car for me and the only way I could be disappointed is if the boat sinks...
Sponsored