Teardown and rebuild Thread: Converting GT350 race motor to CPC

johnnytequila

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 performance blue GT350
Thanks for all the info you provided on this topic. I have a question. are the GT350 heads the same as the GT500? I’m talking the 19’/20’ years. Also, I see some nitpicking on this awesome engine. Ford spent millions of hours and dollars on this project and came out with a 500 plus hp car that will go low 12’s right off the showroom floor. If they built it like Ferrari, the price would have been way higher and out of my buying range. It’s a street car capable of track use but it’s not a race car. I know some folks that have over 100k miles on their Shelby’s with no issues. Hell even race cars engines get rebuilt after a race. That’s a lot of abuse for any car.
Be thankful we can drive these beauties. Anyone who lived thru the late seventies and eighties dreamed of having this much power on pump gas.
Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Never seen a main Torqued stud just back out, interesting, and concerning for sure. Ever think of safety wiring every single bolt which could be safety wire, and then some to include mains. Drilling .32 SW holes in the head of stud bolts, flywheel bolts ETC, I cant imagine would cause any structural issue with the bolts. Just radius to remove all burs, edges to release stress. Good Luck

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all the info you provided on this topic. I have a question. are the GT350 heads the same as the GT500? I’m talking the 19’/20’ years. Also, I see some nitpicking on this awesome engine. Ford spent millions of hours and dollars on this project and came out with a 500 plus hp car that will go low 12’s right off the showroom floor. If they built it like Ferrari, the price would have been way higher and out of my buying range. It’s a street car capable of track use but it’s not a race car. I know some folks that have over 100k miles on their Shelby’s with no issues. Hell even race cars engines get rebuilt after a race. That’s a lot of abuse for any car.
Be thankful we can drive these beauties. Anyone who lived thru the late seventies and eighties dreamed of having this much power on pump gas.
thanks for your input... that is a well balanced post...

ARAMP1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Anyone who lived thru the late seventies and eighties dreamed of having this much power on pump gas.
I had a roommate in college in the late 90s that had a 3rd gen Camaro. It wasn't an IROC but it was that body stile. He had a legit 400 hp small block in it. I remember riding around in it with him thinking "man, 400 hp...no one on the street can touch us. We're in the fastest car in the city". LOL.

johnnytequila

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 performance blue GT350
I had a roommate in college in the late 90s that had a 3rd gen Camaro. It wasn't an IROC but it was that body stile. He had a legit 400 hp small block in it. I remember riding around in it with him thinking "man, 400 hp...no one on the street can touch us. We're in the fastest car in the city". LOL.
I remember when I bought my 93’ Cobra and had 235 hp, I thought I had a beast. It’s a beautiful car but no match for my Shelby! Thanks for sharing that! I bet he had to put a lot into it to make that much power!

Sponsored

Texas_Muscle5.2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
No need. You just re-pin the harness to changing the firing order. Dropping in a new ECU will add an entire other set of problems.
Do you have a pin diagram for this? I just lost compression in cylinder 6 on my second motor. I’m going to take the plunge to build a CPC motor.

Last edited: