Sponsored

TDS for spot free rinse

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Well living in the UK we don't typically get blessed with nice weather, wide parking spots or big pearly whites, but with a TDS of 19.96 (straight from the tap) my car is pretty happy and defo spot free ... :sunglasses:

That's not typical for all the UK though - I do live in a particularly good area (for water) :like:

WD :like:
Sponsored

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
Hard water is merely water with minerals (calcium, magnesium, iron, etc.,) in solution and to my knowledge, there are only two ways to remove them..distillation or ionization. (FTR, "filters" ONLY remove contaminants that are NOT in solution, i.e., they are in suspension.) As has been noted, distilled water by definition has a TDS of zero. Ionization or "softening" will never remove all the contaminants so zero TDS is unattainable with ionization.

The CR Spotless "TDS meter" is a bit deceiving and is really only for determining when it is time to change the cartridges, i.e., when it starts inching up from zero. But when it does say zero, it does NOT mean that your TDS IS zero. All zero means is that the rig is working at its designed efficiency and removing as much of the minerals that the resin can handle.

When the number gets positive, the rig has dropped below the designed efficiency and odds are, you will start having more spotting.

I have calculated that a set of cartridges will last me about one year (one wash/week,) and that is when only using it for rinsing and, the pressure is reduced by two thirds. Running the CR Spotless for foaming/washing at full pressure will dramatically reduce the time between cart replacement. If I had to guess, I would say that instead of a year, I might get four months before having to replace them.
Hard water contains the dissolved calcium (and other minerals).

Softening water with a unit that you put salt into exchanges the calcium for sodium. Sodium is nicer than calcium because it is easier to redissolve and remove. But the TDS is unchanged. Only swapping calcium and sodium 1:1.

A properly functioning Deionizer removes all of the dissolved calcium (and other) ions. By binding them to it's resins. This is why your deionizer must have both cat-ion and an-ion resins in it. They will reach a TDS of 0 until the resin beds are either saturated and can't grab any more ions out of the water or the flow rate overruns the resins and the ions escape before binding to the resin. All DI systems may not be equally 100% efficient.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Hoo boy, I hope I didn't start an insurrection here.. <BSEG>

My thinking is as long as I keep that last can in good shape the water should be good to go. Now that I have an external meter I plan to test it before and after I rinse each time to see where I'm at.
Your thinking is spot on, Alex, and when you have the numbers, you will learn what you need to know regarding resin replacement. Perfect.

Yep, I use a pump n spray but I will post a photo of me using a little 8 oz spray bottle just to show how dedicated I am. ;)
TOO funny, Bob and yes, I would have to say, that IS "dedication." :-)

I found an industrial water company that was willing to rent me a large-ish DI tank for about $15/month.
I'd say you found a darn good deal, Drew and, the rental fee over a year is not that much higher than it costs to recharge the CR Spotless carts.

Also entirely dependent on how hard your water is to begin with.
True that, Brian and I wish I could use my rig for everything as well but I'd be replacing carts every three or four months.

This has worked well for me. Lasts about 2 yrs and that's with 3 vehicles.
If you can get that much time out of a softener rig, George I say "perfect."

but with a TDS of 19.96 (straight from the tap)
I think about you and your mountain spring water nearly every time I hook up my unit, WD..really. I've never known of ANY municipal water (here in the States,) that is as soft as yours and I get envious each time. <grin> You lucky bastid. ;-)

OP
OP
skinnyb

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Well I did my weekend wash this morning and messed with my new TDS meter. I took 2 plastic cups and collected water both on bypass and on filtered water. Very impressed for such a small unit.

On Bypass.
IMG_0851.jpeg

On filter, filter resin is about half spent at this time.
IMG_0852.jpeg