Sponsored

Tax, the future, emissions etc

CaptainSensible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Mustang V8 GT Coupe
Storm in a teacup, stop fretting.

The government won't make ICE cars more expensive to run after 2030. New electric cars are expensive to buy, so it would be punishing those on lower incomes who can't afford new cars which will be politically unpopular.

They with be far more concerned about how they tax electric cars to replace all that fuel duty they are no longer receiving.

Most cars have about a 20 year lifespan so regardless there will be virtually no ICE cars on the road by 2050.

Those that are will be cherished as classics and no one will care about emissions.

So stop worrying and enjoying that V8.

EDIT: Just to add there seems to be a common misconception that from 1 Jan 2030 all ICE cars will be banned from the road. Which is totally wrong. You just won't be able to buy new ones any more.
Sponsored

Last edited:

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
lol id sooner be setting myself up to leave the UK in 5 years and take the car with me than to give up on it lol

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
lol id sooner be setting myself up to leave the UK in 5 years and take the car with me than to give up on it lol
The problem is, you'd have to switch to right-hand traffic. Unless you were willing to move to the other side of the world, that is. 😁

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
The problem is, you'd have to switch to right-hand traffic. Unless you were willing to move to the other side of the world, that is. 😁
NZ, they would happily take a Chartered Civil Engineer. Plus its beautiful and has everything britain does minus the politicians.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
NZ, they would happily take a Chartered Civil Engineer. Plus its beautiful and has everything britain does minus the politicians.
hah yep think i'm buying a place in Florida next year in preparation :)

Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Can i come? Does seem like paradise over there. They’ve done the covid thing right too

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
They’ve done the covid thing right too
Seems that way.

Covid19 loves to travel, err, so stop that for a while.
Obviously that is too difficult for the U.K. Government halfwits to understand!
Close the borders, defeat the outbreak.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
Seems that way.

Covid19 loves to travel, err, so stop that for a while.
Obviously that is too difficult for the U.K. Government halfwits to understand!
Close the borders, defeat the outbreak.
seems such a simple concept but aye we've just not grasped it. Bit like making up rules for areas but then policing by consent instead of the law. Hopefully the craziness will be over soon and we can get back to the proper normal.

Ban kids, that'll solve the human emissions problem and save the planet.

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Supra MkV - Tungsten Silver
I've seen a company in Ireland have developed an Electrification conversion kit I think they converted a BMW 3 series or something for £900 as a DIY kit

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I've seen a company in Ireland have developed an Electrification conversion kit I think they converted a BMW 3 series or something for £900 as a DIY kit
That will have a VERY small battery for £900. I suspect that is the cost of conversion excluding parts. A company in the UK is doing a similar thing

Classic_Mini_Kit.pdf (swindonpowertrain.com)

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Supra MkV - Tungsten Silver

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Stumbled on the concept of a V8 shaped electric crate motor a while back. If I ever fulfill my dream of restoring a classic (most likely a 50's pickup) I'd give that some serious thought;

https://electricgt.com/builds/e-stang/

e.JPG

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
There seems to be an emerging, electro-retro, conversion scene.

OP
OP
v8hgt

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I like that MG resto mod. It makes sense in the sort of car that does short distances. However, the guy that made it sounds Geordie. And he had the idea during a MG road trip to Bath which is 307 miles or 5.5 hrs in an MGB from Newcastle. Let’s assume he stayed in a hotel with charge facilities over night. So not including the initial home or overnight hotel charge, That’s 11 hrs on the road in a petrol MGB about 32 hrs on the road in the electric one. I suspect if he does the same road trip again he will take his petrol MGB for it.
Sponsored